• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fatal Flaws

Whitefur

Dreamer
I agree with you, UnionJane. Some writers, even the famous ones, tend to make their fantasy universe a changed version of our world rather than create something more out of the ordinary. One of the things which sticks out REALLY well is that everyone prefers horses as mounts for Riders. God forbid they can ride on anything else than horses. But the reason they do it is not lack of originality, but public preference. Like you said, we got so used with the world we live in and its rules that we tend to question and comment something that abides by said rules. I'd tend to say that it's like some universal rule: write something not-so-crazy and get your story going rather than risking the dislike of your readers. And this is more simple than coming with all sorts of explanations.

So what if they just have bog standard flaws, are they still flawless? All I'm saying is I don't think any of this warrants such an extreme term. Central flaw, as you used in your post, is actually much better - and it implies more depth than just 'fatal flaw'. I see 'fatal flaw' as vey black and white, and just way to extreme to be realistic.
Well, here's another way to think about it.
Everybody has one defining issue, that "central flaw." It branches off into creating other problems complications and quirks, or "flaws." And none of them are truly "fatal flaws, until they get to the point where they consume or destroy your life. That kind of fatal flaw, unless it actuallys destroys their life, is crappy writing-wise.
Example: Johnny's "Central Flaw" is terrible introversion. He hates other people, and won't let anybody get close to him. He ran away from his parents, and has no friends. Unless that's written in for plot, and he has to try and come to terms with this problem, and it truly enriches or drives the story, it's useless, and bad writing.
Now that I really think about it, "fatal flaw" should only refer to flaws that would make a child's parents say,
"Sweety, don't play with Johnny, he's s a crazy person."
Something along those lines.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I'm not sure what more you're saying, I agree that central flaw is a better term though. If for no other reason than fatal flaw does imply something far more extreme than what we're discussing.

Here it is in simpler terms
There are no fatal flaws, there are regular flaws that can get you killed. If there were a true fatal flaw, it would have to be something like "Feels an irresistible urge to commit Sepukuu upon hearing the word 'The,' while living a world named The." Fatal flaw is a poor term, regardless of how it's used. And a true "Fatal Flaw," is horse-sh*t for writing.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Why the bold type? I didn't need it in simpler terms. That was my point from the start; that fatal flaws are not realistic, and that I much prefer more human flaws. If you remember a few posts back, it was you who was pro-fatal flaw - and by your last post, you seem to have changed your stance (or at least on where you stand with the term).

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting your messages, but they seem a touch condescending considering I was never confused about the point to begin with.

I think there are flaws that aren't a problem in norm life, or even when our characters are questing. Now on the battlefield, tattoos is where flaws become fatal. Inattentiveness, tunnel vision, lack of threat assessment, overconfidance, these can prove fatal in the heat of battle.

Bold type? Oh, sorry, I don't know where that came from. It wasn't intended. Well, my point is, what has been considered a fatal flaw throughout the beginning of this thread is inevitable and good for writing. The kind I brought up and explained a post or two ago is not. And it more accurately fits into the term "fatal flaw."
And I think I was just explaining it for myself, because it's starting to confuse me. Lol

I'm incredibly neurotic, and write a post like five times before actually hitting post, it might have been left in from a previous draft. I won't edit, just so people know what you're talking about.