• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Not a Storyteller Yet...

Ghost

Inkling
But I plan to be!

I've been world-building for a very detailed fantasy world for a while. (I'll call that world AG for now.) I still have notes I made in high school, but none of the original ideas seem to have survived. As I learn more about cultures, languages, and what's overdone in fantasy, I'd like to think AG has become more sophisticated. Most of the stories I'd like to set there are standalone novels that take place in different regions and different time periods. I've been working on conlanguages, conreligions, ethnic backgrounds, and the bestiary. I want to track the changes throughout history so I have a better handle on what exists and when. It's very slow going. :eek:

I think of AG as a long term project that will take several years be fully fleshed out. My short term projects have far less minutiae and aren't interrelated. I haven't finished anything yet--I don't expect to for years--but I love diving into these worlds and making them more than just a simple backdrop.

I hadn't seen this forum before it turned up in a random search. Most of the other world-building forums seem to dead or focused on gaming. I'm so glad I found this one!

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Welcome! World building is our specialty. I'm sure that you'll find some great inspiration from our members.

myrddin173

Maester
Welcome Ouroboros, since you are interested in World-building why don't you check out the Mythic Archipelago project? (yes that is a shameless plug). Again, welcome to the boards!

Hello! I really don't have a right to welcome because I am one day new myself. :) Your world sounds like it will have a fantastic culture to back it up! I genuinely love enhancing my own world in such ways. It does take up much time but is completely worth it in the end.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I think of AG as a long term project that will take several years be fully fleshed out. My short term projects have far less minutiae and aren't interrelated. I haven't finished anything yet--I don't expect to for years--but I love diving into these worlds and making them more than just a simple backdrop.

I'm doing a similar thing; world-building as a main project, but trying my hand at writing several unrelated short stories that have little backstory.

Ghost

Inkling
Thanks, everyone! :)

I think it's okay for new people to welcome each other, BCTC. It just shows how excited you are.