• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Worried my Books will get Burned.

Shockley

Maester
I don't think taking a nuanced view towards the atomic bombings will get you in too much trouble. Even at the time it happened there were people with diverse opinions - Truman saw it as tragic but necessary; Eisenhower was absolutely disgusted and publicly so; Curtis LeMay, in essence, wanted to baptize the whole Axis with nuclear fire.

So yeah, just handle it well and you'll only be reflecting the real world.

Hi,

And if they could burn them while the cameras are rolling it would be even better!

I mean they say there's no such thing as bad publicity and maybe they're rght. I haven't read it, but seriously would anybody know who Salman Rushdie was if The Satanic Verses hadn't caused such an outcry? Not that I recommend doing anything that controversial.

Cheers, Greg.

wino

Dreamer
That's not so much "non-traditional" as it is twisted and insane. Consequently, I wouldn't be so much offended as I would be gobsmacked by the absolute insanity. To be truly offended to the point of ire, one has to give the offensive thing at least a shred of credence. Otherwise it could simply be ignored or ridiculed. I cannot bring myself to give your example any credence whatsoever.

History is written by the winners.

I'm sure making Hitler more "human" would upset a lot of people, but that's why it would be fun.

Shockley

Maester
Yeah, well, Tojo was a human. I mean, I just watched a documentary yesterday that had Kenneth Branagh reading all the sad, lonely parts of Joseph Goebbels journal - didn't make me want to burn said documentary.

Scales

Minstrel
Hideki's fantasy counterpart wants to control his pack - he is a wolf the story and his name is changed to Hideyoshi. He later teaches the protagonist, Claw his signature attack.

Sam James

Dreamer
When I read the first page I thought you were going to do the Raping of Nanking. So I was relieved to see otherwise.

I'm not sure who would be offended by the re-telling of the atomic bomb drops. The Japanese have already played off the events in a speculative setting. For example the Animation movie Akira opens with a nuclear explosion in the center of Tokyo (although it's later found to not be from a bomb).

Fun fact. When I was 7 or so years old I "invented" a new Sonic character who happened to be a Dingo called Claw. :p

Scales

Minstrel
That was Woorak's beta name.

The Nanking Incident is in the story - written in a few weeks ago, but is controlled by the main characters.

Last edited:

Sam James

Dreamer
Well, that's a much more controversial incident, although occurring before WWII, that still divides China-Japan relations.

Sam James

Dreamer
Only if you're planning to get published in China :p

I say you are worrying over nothing, just get the book written, see if an agent or publisher is willing to take it on, and then in the final editing process worry if things need to be taken out. :)