• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Places to find good writing advice

To the Powers That Be: I'm not sure if this is in the right place, so feel free to move it if it needs to be moved!

I was thinking that it might be helpful if we post some of the websites where we find helpful writing advice, particularly advice that applies to writing fiction and fantasy. The places I visit most for inspiration are Orson Scott Card's (Ender's Game, Shadow of the Giant, etc.) website and Gail Carson Levine's (Ella Enchanted, Fairest,etc.) blog.

Gail Carson Levine is especially helpful, as she usually replies personally to questions and comments on her blog.

I'd love to hear about some other sites. Writing styles are so varied, I never know where I'm going to find the next thing that clicks for me!

Ophiucha

Auror
The best advice I could give is to find the authors you respect the most and to find their websites or blogs, and to read them. I, for instance, have little love for Card, and his advice is pretty... meh, to me. I agree with some things, disagree with others. An author I very highly respect, both for her writing (A Hundred Thousand Kingdoms) and her writing advice, is N. K. Jemisin. Here's a great article she has (which is a sequel to two other articles) on Describing Characters of Color. I would also very heavily recommend looking for interviews with the authors you love. Interviewers often ask questions like "in most fantasy stories, X, but in yours, Y - care to explain?" and they do. Or they ask them for their opinions on other writers and they beautifully highlight the differences between them (particularly if they are less than fond of the other author - Scott Lynch has said more than a few things about Orson Scott Card and Terry Goodkind that I find very interesting, as an author, and funny as well). Not knowing what authors you like in particular, I can't direct you to any specific websites or blogs, but I'll leave with a few general recommendations.

So You Want to Write a Fantasy, some snarky article-rants from a girl I follow on tumblr, these generally focus on avoiding cliches, avoiding stereotypes, and having characters who aren't white, straight men. There is the infamous limyaael rants, which I don't always agree with, but she covers so, so, so, so, so many topics that it'll at the very least get you thinking. And, I stress once more, look for interviews, they are a goldmine of pithy quotes and succinct summaries of what makes the books you love - hell, even the books you hate - the way they are.

Helbrecht

Minstrel
Ah, limyaael. I remember when I first tried my hand at seriously writing fantasy when I was thirteen. I made the mistake of following her word as gospel before I'd even read half the books she ritualistically hates on. She literally has a Ph.D in science fiction/fantasy, mind you, so even if she is viciously opinionated you'll find she knows what she's talking about most of the time.

Writing Excuses is a podcast ran by genre authors Brandon Sanderson, Dan Wells and Mary Robinette Kowal alongside cartoonist Howard Tayler. They've been putting out a fifteen-to-twenty minute podcast a week since the summer of 2008, and it all concerns writing as an art, a trade and/or a business, so I find it an absolutely vital resource. Narrative structure, characters, world-building, time management, planning, selling your books - it's all in there, with a bit more to boot. They regularly have guests on from the industry as well, just for that added oomph. If you're not familiar with the podcast already, I'd definitely recommend you give a few episodes a listen.

I'll be sure to add a few more of the resources I'm aware of when I'm home and have access to my bookmarks.

Last edited:

Ophiucha

Auror
Mm, Writing Excuses isn't my general favourite. I think the only one of the 'main' crew I care for at all is Brandon Sanderson. But they do cover a pretty wide range of topics - and they have had fantastic guests on the show - so it's not a bad choice, either. I really like their recent ones from WorldCon 69.

pskelding

Troubadour
Yes but I end up making about 1/2 to a full page of notes from one 15 minute episode then I can decide to delete or keep it on my laptop. I do use their advice and refer to it a few times a week while plotting or writing.

I've been hearing about Writing Excuses forever, but just listened to my first one today thanks to this post. I'm excited to listen to more! I've never taken a creative writing class, and this is about as close as I can get for free.

I can't believe I didn't take a class from Sanderson while I was in college there! Of course, I didn't know I wanted to be a writer then, but still. Incredible opportunity lost.