• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Self Control

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I came across this app for any of your Mac OS X users. It lets you set time periods which prohibits you from surfing the web, or email. Since creative people only make such programs for the Mac world, and I have a Windows computer, I can't give a review of how good this thing is.

Anyone with a Mac want to try this out?

SelfControl

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
It looks like there are a few Windows alternatives to SelfControl that you can google up
But none are from sources that I recognise and/or [probably erroneously] trust.
[okay... I get nervous when I'm sent to a Russian web address to download a program that will take control of my computer...]

There is an add-on for Firefox which blocks certain sites, it's called Leechblock. All you need to do is add sites to the "blacklist", and you will not be allowed to visit it without removing the site from the list. Not exactly the same but it gives the same result.

Sia

Sage
Set parental controls on yourself? I do that when I know I really really really should be writing essays.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
You can get fullscreen text editors for Windows, some of which won't let you switch to another window without completely exiting the program. I used Pyroom for linux, for example. For Windows you can get Q10, FocusWriter, Zen Writer, JDarkRoom, etc. You'll be surprised how much less surfing you do when your writing window takes up your whole screen, and you have to save your work and exit out of the program completely before you can access your browser or email or whatever.