• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to Write Your Book (?)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
http://writerswrite.co.za/how-to-publish-your-book

I love this. Truer words have never been spoken.

That said, how much do these "outside forces" effect your writing? Do you find "all work and no play make you a dull boy or girl?" As a writer, writing and editing are obviously most important to getting your book finished. Anything else is going to be a distraction. But are distractions so bad? They definitely can be if you let them.

Last edited:

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Some of that post is just too true.:p
I turn off my wifi when I want to write - otherwise I'm google-ing every potential fact and checking every MS every 15 minutes for new posts...

but I really could do with a new writing chair...

I'm with the new chair idea. I broke my old one a few months ago, by leaning back on it whilst doing revision, needless to say, when it broke I needed a new pair of pants... :) Now I'm stuck with a wooden chair, that doesn't have wheels, or swivel :( My parents don't trust me enough to buy a new one, and I'm far to cheap to buy one myself :)

Mara Edgerton

Troubadour
I balance distractions and writing by partaking in word wars. Some writing buddies and I get together (online or, if we're having a weekend get-together, in person) throughout the day to write for half-hour spurts. We don't have to share or critique--for half an hour we just sit there and write. Highest word count wins the glory, after we sort ourselves into sloths (500 words or under) and cheetahs (501 words or above). But it's not about the number of words--it's just that intense writing for half hour periods when all distractions are forbidden!

Daichungak

Minstrel
Equally awesome and true. Turning off the wi-fi is a must.

Lately my biggest distraction has been the mythic scribes forums. :)