• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

In the air tonight...

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I hate flying.

In a few hours I'll be making the trip from Cork to San Francisco by air. I'll be on and off planes all day and then some. I've got a couple of unread books on the kindle but it's all stuff I've read before and I'm thinking something new might be fun - depending on mood. I'd like some suggestions. All ideas are welcome, but in case you want me to be more specific here are some criteria:
Easy to read (I won't be in a place or state of mind to read anything that requires any kind of thinking).
Recent (ideally published in the last year - no particular reason).
Recommended (you've read it yourself and know what it is, not something you've read about or heard is good).
No graphic sex (I don't mind sex, but reading about it in public makes me feel awkward/self-conscious - I'm fine with graphic violence).

Your suggestion does not have to be within the fantasy genre, but I have no trouble with it if it is. You're also welcome to suggest your own books you've written yourself.

All suggestions welcome. I'll post in a few hours to let you know which one I picked (provided someone actually suggests anything).

Daichungak

Minstrel
I hate flying as well. You are lucky that you can read while flying, I always get too sick to do anything but suffer.

My suggestions:
Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson, easy read, fantasy, 2009
The Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. Le Guin, easy read, fantasy, 1968
No Easy Day by Mark Owen, easy read, military non fiction, 2012

That is an eclectic list that fails to meet your criteria on several points, but those are the last three books I read that are the closest fit. You could also follow the super handy link in my sig and read my WIP's prologue. :)

Enjoy the flight!

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Don't worry about the criteria. That was mostly just a guideline. I picked Warbreaker. I've heard the Sanderson name mentioned a bit and figured I'd give it a go.
The Earthsea Trilogy is one of the first fantasy stories I ever read as a kid and it's very dear to me (but I've already read it). The last one is probably good, but I'll stick to the fiction side of things for this trip.

I'll try and copy your prologue on to the kindle. 3k words shouldn't be an issue.