• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Here I am, then

Daenelia

Dreamer
Call me Daenelia, or Dae. I was looking for sites about writing. But 'storytelling' sounds so much better, I just had to register. 'Writing' suggests such a heavy emphasis on grammar and spelling, where 'storytelling' seems to be much more about entertaining people with a good story. And I like being entertained with a good story.

I am Dutch. English is my second language, albeit on near-native level. I say 'near-native' only because I never knew what 'tannoy' was until my British boyfriend explained it to me. Not one of the words you learn while being bombarded by literary terms in your uni-years. We live in Amsterdam with our two cats.

We both enjoy writing for fun, as a hobby. I am looking forwad ro reading stuff and, who knows, sharing stuff.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Welcome aboard. If Daenelia is your real name, it's beautiful. Even if it's not, I'll still allow it to be beautiful. :)

Welcome Dae, to the friendliest and most helpful forum in existence. Now that I think about it, the MS slogan is fantastic (no pun intended).

Now, before the posters below me warn you about the infestation of cats here, I'd just like to warn you about the infestation of cats here.

Right. English is my second language too, though I counted it as my first, until you brought up 'tannoy'. What is tannoy?

Jump in whenever you feel like it. Sharing is what we do. Have a good time here.

Daenelia

Dreamer
Tannoy. You know, I never looked it up, because I believe my guy on his honest green eyes. He said it was the speaker system in shops, which until then I just called ... the speaker system, or intercom, I think. So I just looked it up.
"a sound-amplifying apparatus used as a public-address system esp in a large building, such as a university". And it looks like it might simply be a brand name, to boot.

What did I expect, from en Englishman that didn't know the meaning of 'decadence' when I met him?

I think my vocab outshines his... :p

And thank you, Ankari, it is partly my real name. That is, part of the name is part of one of my middle names. It's complex. But fun, and unique :)

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
That's funny. English is my first language, but American English, not the Queen's English. I had no clue what a "tannoy" is. We would call it a public address system, lol. I find most of our non-native English speakers have a better English vocabulary than I do. ;)

So glad you found your way to us! We are basically a world-wide party around here, especially on the weekends whenever the mods get around to opening up the public chats. Sometimes we get bored and open up chats all on our own. We have writers of all ages from retirement age to mid-teens and of many different levels of experience.

Hope you have a lovely time in our nuthouse!

Daenelia

Dreamer
Learning a new word is always worthy to celebrate with a cup of tea. I am putting the kettle on!

Nihal

Vala
We have a cup of joe and a tea cup, but so far as I know, no cup of tea.

*ahem* Welcome to the MS!

Joyce

Acolyte
Hey Dae,
I am new too. Everyone gets tripped up with grammar and punctuation. You might want to get a reference manual. I have one from college called The Gregg Reference Manual by William A. Sabin, which is on the smaller size. There are lots of others out there. My husband uses the Chicago Manual of Style for work. This is a pretty comprehensive book and is about four times bigger than mine.

Hope you have lots of fun here.

-Joyce

Daenelia

Dreamer
I have two bookshelves of reference books and manuals on grammar and writing styles from my university days. Doesn't mean any of it stuck in my head, what with another language's rules (one with more commas, for one) fighting in my head. :p So I simply don't sweat it; If people understand me, that is all I need, really. For everything else, there be editors, ahrr.

*grabs cat and tea* I do feel at home here now!