• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo for Senior Project

For my high school we have to do a senior project, we have to have 15 hours of research, and have a mentor. I thought doing NaNoWriMo for my senior project would be neat, any thoughts?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
That would be fun! You can pack in you research before November 1st and then write like mad. When is your project due? Do you have your mentor lined up? You would, of course, want to get it all approved before committing to it for your senior project (though there is nothing wrong with just doing it on your own for the giggles ;) ). Would this be your first NaNo?

Well we have to start it very soon, like maybe next week soon. I have no idea who my mentor would be. See, I live in this small country town, where not a lot of people write and read. Well, like, we have to do the 15 hours of research, and complete the project, and then present it to 5 judges, and talk about it, what we did, why we did it. So if I did do it, would I just kinda print it off like a manuscript? And like read a passage from it? Lol, because I don't have the best speaking voice. And I have tried in the past, but only got to like week 2, and just said, "This is absolute crap." And stopped :p

Rinzei

Troubadour
In terms of presenting, would it be helpful to show your methodology in terms of research, structure, note outlines, etc. as well as the manuscript and a passage? For the research, you could have note outlines, character sheets, glossary of terms, as well as things that inspired you - photos of places/people/things, list of songs that inspired you while writing (if you use that sort of thing), etc.

I would also suggest maybe bending the rules a little by holding it a month or so earlier then official NanoWriMo. I don't know how keen your mentor and the judges will be about a project you won't be in full work-mode for until two months from now. There's nothing to say you can't make your project based or inspired by the concept of NaNoWriMo, rather than strictly adhering to it. You could even put it as another term/criteria of the project - one month's research/planning and one month's writing. You'd have a month to get all your notes, research and preliminary thoughts together, and then a month to get it all written down into the 50,000 words.