• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Limyaael's Fantasy Rants

Ireth

Myth Weaver
A collection of rants by LiveJournal user Limyaael, on various fantasy subjects. They're rather peppered with crude language, but if you can get past that, they're an invaluable resource on what to do and what to avoid when writing fantasy.

Limyaael's Rants: Master List (All Rants)

Note: Some have hyperlinks that will direct you to the rant on the main site, while others don't. They all have links to LiveJournal, though, so don't be fooled when you see that not every rant name is a link! Just click on the little pencil icon beside each one.

Graylorne

Archmage
I agree with you. I've used them for years and I think they should be compulsory reading for every aspiring fantasy reader :)

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I'd give you rep points, Graylorne, but I've reached my quota for the day. ^^

Ireth

Myth Weaver
No idea. I haven't been on LJ in years, myself. I never knew her personally, I just found her rants one day and fell in love with them.

Amanita

Maester
I think the rants are very interesting and thought-provoking even though I don't think everything she recommends can and should be done. Some of the rants are really useful though, the one with handling a large cast of POV-characters comes to my mind at the moment.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I really like these. Seems like I heard of them before, but just never got around to checking them out. I've been considering starting a new blog that focuses on fantasy of all kinds (fiction, video games, movies, etc.) and I tend to rant on my own blogs. My personal blog has been kind of stagnant, so I want to sort of start over and focus more on fantasy if possible.

Anyway, this was good inspiration to maybe start something up. Thanks!

Edit: My new blog I created is linked in my signature. All fantasy, all the time!

Last edited:

Guy

Inkling
What books has this person been reading? Honestly, I haven't encountered nearly so many problems. Of course, I'm very, very picky about the fantasy I read. If it doesn't hold my interest or irritates me, I just stop reading it. I don't keep reading an author out of a sense of loyalty. If his writing goes in a direction I don't like, I stop reading him. I stopped reading R.A. Salvatore for this reason. As my professor in ancient history once told me, life's too short to read boring books. Also, I try to take into account the sub-genre. I really love the original Conan stories, but I don't take them seriously. They're just pure escapist fun, and when you read them you have to go into it with that attitude.

Of course, I have my own pet peeves and could go on my own rants, so what the hell.

SmokeScribe98

Minstrel
I've kind of felt the same about a lot of books I read, it's kind of what made me want to write. I thought "I wouldn't have my character do that" or "that could have been better", it's why I prefer writing to reading.

Jess A

Archmage
Very entertaining and thought-provoking. I don't agree with everything, and I don't think I've come across as many dismal books as she has, but there are some decent points here.

Graylorne

Archmage
Very entertaining and thought-provoking. I don't agree with everything, and I don't think I've come across as many dismal books as she has, but there are some decent points here.

You probably wouldn't. Those rants were originally intended for fanfic writers. But most of it is applicable for regular genre writers as well.

Guy

Inkling
I've kind of felt the same about a lot of books I read, it's kind of what made me want to write. I thought "I wouldn't have my character do that" or "that could have been better", it's why I prefer writing to reading.
LOL! Yeah, I'm the same way. I'm editing and revising novels as I read them! Makes it more difficult to enjoy them, but I can't help it.

Ophiucha

Auror
I do appreciate the diversity of topics she touches on - she's got so many rants. Some of them are pretty niche or were clearly inspired by a specific story she'd been reading, but she has rants about things that are pretty widespread yet nobody really talks about. Nomadic people/g*psies, disabled characters, the realities of royal life, of peasant life, religion, revolution. Things that come up all the time and aren't often written right, but it's hard to find a consensus on why and a discussion on how to fix it. I don't always agree with her, but at least she brings up interesting points and counter-arguments and ideas and - most importantly - often cites a book or two that does it well.