• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Operating system of choice?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Really? You don't agree so you're name-calling? Where are the new people coming from where that sort of thing is acceptable?

Maybe they learned from reading your comments in the Meyer v. Rice thread. Like, for example:

Were the people who preferred Meyer illiterate preteens?

You're hardly one to talk when it comes to name-calling.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I present to you, for your viewing pleasure, the average Windows user. He who has never used any other OS, and tries to justify his own naivety by claiming Windows is the best.

Windows 7 is a decent enough OS. I don't see why you or anyone else should care if that is someone's favorite OS, or if linux is, or MacOS, or BSD, or whatever.

myrddin173

Maester
Let's not deride other people for their choice of operating system. I feel we, as a community, are far to mature to do that.

Oh and by the way, I use Windows 7 and I think it is a perfectly fine operating system.

Neurosis

Minstrel
Really? You don't agree so you're name-calling? Where are the new people coming from where that sort of thing is acceptable?

Unix shell ftw.

Also I regularly use Mac OS on my laptop, Ubuntu, Various red hat server distros, Windows 98 through to 8, Fedora at uni.

I find it hard to say one is "better". They are all well suited to a specific purpose. Problems only arise when people, or develops try to use/change the OS for something it wasn't design to support.

And in my second post:
Neurosis said:
Having said that, the Windows-NT environment is extremely good: FOR BUSINESS ORIENTED APPLICATIONS. Games have been added as an after-thought. The problem is that there is no good competition...

I am currently writing this reply on a Windows 7 machine to boot. Also could you please point out where I called anyone a name? Or is "average Windows user" now an insult:
Neurosis said:
I present to you, for your viewing pleasure, the average Windows user. He who has never used any other OS, and tries to justify his own naivety by claiming Windows is the best.

Also the entire premise of this conflict is flawed. I never insulted anyone because I thought "their OS" wasn't the best. I ranted because someone claimed that theirs was the best, and I see them as equal:
I like windows 7.windows 7 much better then other operating system.windows 7 built by Microsoft.it's very fast and excellent figure.it's look very nice.
Its a pet peeve of mine, people saying one OS is better than another. Hence my entire rant stressing this fact, and the previous post I made which explicitly state my views.

To avoid further baseless arguments and flame, please try and read my posts in full, or send me a PM if you still disagree.

Last edited:

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling

I think it was more to do with the tone.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I don't have anything against any OS. My order of preference is Linux, Win 7, MacOS (of the big three for desktops/laptops).

People use what they like best; nothing wrong with liking any of them best.

zizban

Troubadour
I use Windows 7 at home and work. I write with OpenOffice.

I used to be a huge Mac head but I had a life changing experience and went to Windows. Funny, Windows Vista was the first version of Windows I ever used. I used Irix on various SGI machines until Mac OS X came out and SGI eol'ed Irix.

My laptop runs Zevenos Linux.

I had a hackintosh, dropped it. It was fun playing in MacOS, but never got any real work done, guess I just spent too much time playing with it.

I use mainly Linux at home, but I really like some of the Windows 7 UI things, jump lists and stuff. I even tried out Windows 8 tech preview, cool stuff but not something I would want to work in all the time.

I am a fan of XFCE, don't like what Unity has done, too many bad UI choices for me.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

cliche

Minstrel
I prefer windows xp to any of the other windows operating systems because it feels a lot more stable than vista and 7.
In my opinion this is what i think of the windows range:
95/98 (and anything below)- alright, a bit clunky and sort of look like an eye sore but alright - outdated
xp- stable, secure with very little problems that needed to be sorted out (that were not through their own faults) outdated (depending on whether you use the latest and most up-to-date programs available)
vista - slow, clunky and full of errors. I'm not sure whether this was just the computer (which was something like 4gb ram, quad core, 200gb hard drive) but it took ages to load and do pretty much anything. It alsod doesnt look too bad either.
7 - looks good, filled with bugs and problems that need to be sorted out.
I'm currently using two laptops, one with xp installed and one with 7 installed. I have had the xp laptop for about four years now and I have not had a single problem with it. I have had the 7 laptop for about a year and so far I have had to reset the winsock and restore it back to factory settings three times so far, If I had a working xp disk i would honestly downgrade the windows 7 laptop to windows xp without even a second thought. It feels like microsoft are going backwards and the only thing they are try to improve is the cosmetics of operating system.
I cannot really comment on any of the other operating systems since I have yet to use any of them. I did in the past use macos and I remember that I liked it but that's about it.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
That's interesting, cliche. I've used Windows 7 heavily since the day it launched, both at home and at work. I've never had a single problem with it. Unlike Vista, which I agree was terrible.

I'm always fascinated by the varying experiences people have with operating systems that lead them to like or dislike them. I don't like Macs, personally. Never have since I had one years ago. But I have friends who love them. You've apparently had all kinds of issues with Win 7, whereas for me it has been an excellent OS.

I still like various flavors of linux the best, and yet others for whom I have installed linux were not happy with it.

Much of it ends up being subjective.

I know I will probably get roasted but I use Win7. However I am looking into Linux flavors to install and dual boot on a old XP machine that I am using for old console game emulator and music box (eventually). I still want to use the XP cause of some old games that don't play nicely on Win7 (Temple of Elemental Evil comes to mind)

GeekDavid

Auror
In my experience, Windows 7 has been more stable than Vista. I'd go Linux, but there are just too many programs that I like to run under Windows.

yachtcaptcolby

Minstrel
I usually use a MacBook Pro at home. I have to deal with Windows all day at work and I don't really want to have to put up with it at home. All the crap in Windows that wants my attention all the time drives me nuts. I bought a refurbished PC laptop I keep around for gaming and situations where I need a PC, but I use the Mac 95% of the time. It just works, and I don't need a system I can customize heavily.

I've also got an Acer netbook running Ubuntu Linux. It's perfect for traveling with and Ubuntu runs great on that less powerful hardware. I bought it thinking it would be a good beater for trips to the coffee shop and such that would save wear and tear on my more expensive MacBook. That was six years ago and it's still in great shape.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Windows 8 is just as stable as Win 7, if not more so, and it runs better. So if you're going to use Windows you might as well use it.

Unless you're doing a lot of gaming (which I do on my Windows computer), there isn't a lot that you can't do just as well in Linux.

SeverinR

Vala
I only used Linux a short period on a dumb terminal laptop (no hard drive) Linux ran in CD/DVD.
It ran well, did web surfing without much delay.

Windows 7 or 8 always seems slow. I had a Windows XP, it did well to start but then slowed after some time.

Personally, for web surfing, I'd be happy with Linux in the media drive rather then on the HD. When your done nothing is left to bog down the computer. If you want to save then You'd need to make it an OS.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Some versions of Linux you can boot from USB instead of a LiveCD, and then you can save your changes. If you run a light-weight distro like Peppermint, or even Elementary OS, which is a nice one, you're not going to have much trouble, even when running from HDD.

GeekDavid

Auror
Windows 8 is just as stable as Win 7, if not more so, and it runs better. So if you're going to use Windows you might as well use it.

Unless you're doing a lot of gaming (which I do on my Windows computer), there isn't a lot that you can't do just as well in Linux.

This thing came with Win7, and I see no reason to upgrade.

And yes, now that you mention it, I do a lot of gaming. :)