• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo

Kelise

Maester
I'm very glad to see you all here! Thank you for clicking that link ;) I generally dislike advertising, and avoid it when I see it even more so... but I was so impressed with this site that I had to spread the word. So I'm glad those of you took the chance to take a look.

I'm getting excited for NaNo already. No plot, no idea what I'm doing there, but I'll be there :)

A few months ago we had a 'NaNo' thread in the Off Topic section, where a few of us had a go at our own mini NaNo here. It'll be excellent being here during NaNo!

Amanita

Maester
A NaNoWriMo subforum would be great. This might persuade me to join after all. I'll probably stay away from the side itself but this doesn't mean I can't try to write 50 000 words in November. ;)

JCFarnham

Auror
A Nano sub/forum would be excellent. It might even allow quick aid for those who need it during Nov! Which I'm sure the real site lacks sometimes.

I need to come up with an idea if I plan on doing it this year. I've done nano in 07, 08, and 09...and managed to finish in the odd years. In 08 I didn't plan out anything and my initial spark fell apart about 1k words in.

Just need a spark...

...and a few weeks of proper planning

Angharad

Troubadour
I'm liking this idea more and more. I need something to get me moving on my WIP. I probably won't officially register on the site, but it would be great to have a group on here to encourage each other.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
The only forums I checked when I signed up were the fantasy ones. There are lots of other great forums though. Challenges, word battles, resources, etc. So it's worth checking out the site at least once. And it's good to see the chart of your word count. That helped me a lot last year.

I'm getting excited too early this year!

Kate

Troubadour
Nano! Woo!
I love Nanowrimo, having done it for the last 4 (even if that first year I didn't even get close to winning).
I think that high velocity novel writing can be harmful to the work sometimes, but I excuse that during November and just let words spew as fast as they can. I've a small idea what to write about this November, so I'm double excited.

I've handwritten the whole shebang for the last 2 years, but think I'll go back to the keyboard this year.

Kaellpae

Inkling
If I get to do it this year I'll be writing a story that I thought of a few years ago and wrote a short prelude to. I promptly forgot about it and when I found it I realized I didn't have any clue where I wanted to go with it. A re-imagining could help.

And a sub forum would be cool. Do we have a challenge for a certain month for our forums only?

Kelise

Maester
NaNoWriMo runs in November, and you sign by going to the site: National Novel Writing Month and making an account, and signing up in November. They wipe the site in early October, so if you put anything in your profile Novel Settings before then, it'll be wiped.

Shadoe

Sage
Aw geez. I'm probably going to do it now too. I've got two stories that might work. One is almost fully outlined. At least I thought it was when I started polishing the outline this morning and found I needed to bring in a whole different storyline and toss another one out. And another one has possibilities too. So maybe I can get one of those ready in time.

jackitsu

Dreamer
I've done this for a couple years, and the only year I finished was with a fantasy novel so I'm thinking that will probably be my trajectory this year.

I love to do it even when I don't finish, though, because the forums really hop with ideas and enthusiasm. Its fun. Recommended. :)

Shadoe

Sage
So, I finished outlining the story I want to do. It's all ready to be written, plots and subplots in place and resolved. I've even got some extra stuff that could be worked in if I somehow come up short, though I don't see that happen. And just as I clicked SAVE on the outline... the phone rang.

I got a job. Not only will I be spending the next week or so frantically rearranging my apartment, making phone calls, getting plane tickets, and looking for an apartment in a state I've never been, but I'll have to work 10 hour days. And at some point in November I'm either going to have to make all the same arrangements again, or I'll have to move my son to Wisconsin with me. Four five weeks. ::sigh::

SeverinR

Vala
I signed up yesterday,
found writing seminars in my area.

Not sure I am going to try.
I get a story in my head and it takes over,
I don't know if I could wait to write it until Nov1,
or if I could work on this one alone and not the others I am working on.

Still undecided.
But you might find some help there.