• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo Novel Ideas

myrddin173

Maester
@Phil: Maybe the letters are like Howlers from Harry Potter, read in the voice of one of the Pawns (the leader? who actually sends the letters?) and they are impossible to forge because the Pawns are the only ones that know how to make them (everybody else probably got a letter from them).

@Ophiucha: That looks really interesting, I would love to read something like that.

TPushit

Acolyte
My fifteen word synopsis of my novel:

Three teenagers discover the secrets of a time machine and stop a timeline disaster.

Hell yeah, what do you guys think? It's hard to summarize a whole novel in fifteen words, but there it is.

Helbrecht

Minstrel
"Many years after a bloody war, a species whose thoughts are almost completely alien to those of humans reemerge, seeking peace with their old enemies and recognition as their equals. And they want one of humanity's greatest "war heroes" to be tried in their courts for war crimes."

There's my basic conceit. Pending a lot of fleshing out, but I intend it to be low fantasy. Thinking of the specific genre, I'm pondering if it might work better as SF, though. What I really need to put some hard thought into is my creatures. Hmhmhm . . .

EParadise

Scribe
AAAARRRRRGGG!!!! NaNoWriMo is haunting me. To do or not to do. I have the perfect idea, but, I am obsessed with revising as I go. I cant write a whole first draft without stopping. That would KILL me. So, I would have to try soo much harder.

The idea is a magic council where each color represents a type of powers such as earth, air, fire, water, sun, moon, stars, etc. One of the council members was kidnapped as an infant and grows up to age 18 ish without knowing who she is. Her new mother had her wizard friend put a spell on her so she would never know who exactly she is...only something happens to the wizard and the council can finally find her.. They have to take her back to train, because something major is about to happen.

pskelding

Troubadour
EP - Revising as you go is not a good thing to do. I can't count how many times I've read that from published authors famous or mid-list. They almost all say that. I learned this abject lesson with my first published short story - 1st draft major suckola but the character and ideas were solid. My editor helped me scrape the crap out of the way and drill down to the story and also improve and streamline my writing. He also helped me improve the cliche supporting characters and their dialogue.

As for doing it during Nanowrimo... why not? Get it all out, or at least 50,000 words of it... then go back and revise those 50k and then forge ahead with the final odd 50k.

My novel should come in at about 100,000 words. I will grind out at least the first 50k for sure and hopefully hit 80,000 during that month. No revision. I'll do that after 1st draft is done.

I will say one last thing... by getting the first draft of my short story done it helped me totally envision my characters by the end of the story. My editor noticed this and said it's quite normal for most authors. I was instructed to rewrite the first almost from scratch keeping the basic idea, plot and character but throw away all the words. Believe me, it was 200% better!

EParadise

Scribe
@ pskelding....I am 99% sure I will give it a go. I have utter faith that I can do it, because 1k to 1500 words already come fairly easily to me right now in my schedule. It would just require a little extra push, and forcing myself not to edit as I go.

pskelding

Troubadour
If your editor comes out and wants to edit then threaten to take away his beer... it usually works for me! If you don't drink then pick a vice and threaten yourself... :D

kuraimorgan

Dreamer
I never plan I like to go in fresh and see what happens. Most of the time by week two I wish that I had planned but it never
changes.

SeverinR

Vala
AAAARRRRRGGG!!!! NaNoWriMo is haunting me. To do or not to do. I have the perfect idea, but, I am obsessed with revising as I go. I cant write a whole first draft without stopping. That would KILL me. So, I would have to try soo much harder.
This is the perfect exercise for that.

I only edit rewrite if I write myself in a corner or I knowingly contradicted myself(afraid I would forget it later, so I edit then>)

SeverinR

Vala
I am fully commited to Nanowrimofo.

My story will be a mage apprentice practicing various magic, it will give my worlds magic system a functional test, while brainstorming how to do each offensive, defensive, and enchantment for when I use it in one of my books. Upto know I have just created it as I needed it but that doesn't go well when a spell I use later would have been perfect previously, but couldn't since I had yet to create it.
I know I will have him or her create a magelight(enchantment), possibly read about a person becoming a lich(since he or she would not be powerful or rich enough to do that enchantment. Plus offensive magic and defensive magic using elements, trying to point out many common advantages and disadvantages of each (example; electrical attack might not be good if caster is in water) Maybe refer to the other forms of magic(Deity based and mental based.) The magic system I use drains a person quickly so I will have a energy source to draw from, adding to the defenses of a wizards home field advantage.

So I know I will have enough to write about even if some might be to small a subject to write about.

well I've decided to do the story that takes place on the planet Shëgma and not the one that's on Grïsïma (I've been pushing myself to finish the chronicles of history of the place, I need a change of planets...) so the story of the bastard it will be!