• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Hobbit.

I've succeeded! It's taken me 12 years to do so, but I've finally finished The Hobbit. In the end, it took me a week to read it through, but I've been trying on and off to do so for 12 years. What's surprising is, due to my lack of success in previous attempts, I started it with the intention of at least being able to say 'I've read it', yet by the end I was in love. I'd never appreciated the richness of the story and the description. There's something about the way Tolkien writes that sucks you in and really makes you feel like you're there. I'm re-reading the Fellowship Of The Ring now - I read it once before when the films came out but found it heavy-going, but I hope that's not the case anymore.

I don't suppose anyone really is bothered by this frankly un-life-changeing story, but I dont know anybody else that is interested in Fantasy writing (my girlfriend openly dispises The Hobbit for example - and she's studying English Lit!), so I thought I'd share it with you all.

db.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
It's been years since I read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, but I can see it on the shelf. I might give it another read when I'm through my current reading list.

Emeria

Scribe
Yay! The Hobbit was really hard for me to get into at first (maybe because I picked it up when I was in second grade and then proceeded to have to look up just about every other word Tolkien used), but once I read it, I really enjoyed it. I think both The Hobbit and LotR are in-need of another read-through, but that will have to wait, as my copy of the Narnia books has also been staring at me for awhile now. One thing that I really appreciate about Tolkien, though, is that even though it's fantasy, it doesn't necessarily feel like fantasy. The characters (even those of a non-human race) feel so real and he also put a ton of work into developing the world and the language, which really shows in his writing.

myrddin173

Maester
It is slightly amusing that this thread appeared shortly after I decided to reread The Hobbit for the umpteenth (the spellchecker is accepting that as a word?!?) time. While The Hobbit didn't turn me onto fantasy it did lay the seeds for later germination by The Sword of Shannara. I am one of the biggest Tolkien fans there are and The Hobbit is by far my favorite novel of his, my favorite piece is the short story Leaf by Niggle.

It has been a few years since I've read the hobbit. With a feast for crows being nearly half way finished, I may give it another read. Though if I do, I know I'll want to read lotr and perhaps the silmarillion again and that would take time away from writing... I don't know. but the hobbit is awesome.

A.E. Marling

I love the Hobbit, better than even LotR. Blasphemy, I know, but the Hobbit was more focused a narrative, without the stray extra hundred pages on the front and the back of the story that seemed unneeded.

Angharad

Troubadour
I adore the Hobbit. It has been my favorite novel since I first discovered it in 6th grade, many decades ago. It led me to LOTR, which I also love, but it doesn't have quite the endearing appeal as the Hobbit.

Dragonie

Scribe
Haha, congratulations! I've read The Hobbit a few times, but I haven't finished the actual LotR series yet. I want to, for sure, but...not right yet.

Thursday

Scribe
You've given me hope that one day too I shall read it. I was in the play in high school, I was Oin, but never read the actual book. Thanks for posting!

I saw this thread right after I picked up the Hobbit to reread and I'm about 45 pages in now. I'll probably finish it tomorrow. I love the way Tolkien tells the story, almost as if he's a father telling it to his son, and I would love to tell a story that way someday. Maybe after I get a little more experience with this whole writing thing...

Thalian

Scribe
I'm reading The Hobbit right now actually. I read it once a few years ago but I don't really remember the finer details of the story any more.