• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Best book that you were given as a child?

Emeria

Scribe
Probably the Narnia books. I received them when I was in early elementary school (first grade, I think) and I read through them all. Even as an adult, I still enjoy coming back and re-reading them. Another book that brings back fond childhood memories is "One Fish, Two Fish" by Dr. Seuss, especially since my sister would always insist on it being read before bedtime.

Metalfist

Dreamer
My favorite gifts as a child were always the books. Christmas day would be winding down and I would nestle in a chair with my new treasure trove of stories. Most memorable? Easily the Hardy Boys book number one, The Tower Treasure. I am now an adult, and still have a hardcover copy of that book beside my bed.

Ghost

Inkling
When I was very little, my parents gave me a comic book version of Disney's The Little Mermaid. I loved it to bits and made my parents reread it so much I knew the passages by heart. In elementary school, my great-aunt gave my sister and me a box of books, and inside it was The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales. That book was falling apart by the time I lost it. I think my favorite was the one about the Ugly Duckling:

Gryffin

Scribe
I didn't get interested in fantasy until I was older so my best childhood books aren't necessarily related. I guess I would say the best book I was given was Anne of Green Gables. It really influenced me as a child.

(lame) my favorite book as a child was Go Dogs Go... It wasn't until I was 19 that I began REALLY reading since then I've read (counts books) 34 books all of them fantasy and I loved all but 3 or 4. and thats not counting the book I'm reading right now.

Sparkie

Auror
The first novels I can remember reading are Call of the Wild and Treasure Island. I don't remember them inspiring me to write, but they were the spark that ignited my love for literature.

As far as fantasy goes, the first stories I remember reading were some short stuff by Anne McCaffery in a school textbook. I remember wishing I had an imagination like hers. Sometimes I still do. And then I dream up some goofy idea of my own.