• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

To Middle Initial, or Not?

GeekDavid

Auror
So I've pretty much decided to use my own name as opposed to a pseudonym... now the question is, what form of my name?

I always go by David... to me Dave sounds like a 17-year-old or a talk-show host, and I am neither, and don't get me started on Davy. However, do you think it looks better if I include my middle initial or not?

David Fernau

David C. Fernau

Which do you prefer?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I use my middle initial and think that it sounds better for you as well. However, it can come across as a little pretentious. That doesn't bother me, but...

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
In your case I don't see a significant difference in how your name feels or sounds with or without the initial, GeekDavid.

teacup

Auror
I prefer it with the middle initial.

I wish I had the option to use my middle initial. Well, I do have it, but I would prefer not to use it...B.J. Gunson.
My parents must have done this as some kind of joke. -_-

GeekDavid

Auror
I prefer it with the middle initial.

I wish I had the option to use my middle initial. Well, I do have it, but I would prefer not to use it...B.J. Gunson.
My parents must have done this as some kind of joke. -_-

My younger step-sister had a friend as a kid... the girl's name was Ann Sue Smith*. Think of those initials!

*(I edited the last name so as not to embarrass her, but kept the initial)

Stevenmlong

Dreamer
I like the middle initial, I just like the sound of it. For me, I started calling myself Steven M. Long because my name is so darned common. I felt that long-term it made sense.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I go full blown pen name, first and middle initial followed by a last name, say screw it to my real name, and go laughing into the sunset. The reasons for this are two fold - I write with a partner, and we don't want both names on the book. Her name is staggeringly common - Jennifer Davis. Whereas mine is unique to this part of the world - Kristin Vinck. So unique in fact that I can count on both hands the number of people who have pronounced it correctly first try. Unless you're Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, the two author combo on the book jacket is not a magic formula for success.

Seriously, though, David, go with the initial. It gives you a sense of gravitas and has a pleasant flow, to boot.

GeekDavid

Auror
So unique in fact that I can count on both hands the number of people who have pronounced it correctly first try.

Seriously, though, David, go with the initial. It gives you a sense of gravitas and has a pleasant flow, to boot.

Betcha can't pronounce mine right first try. :p

Sanctified

Minstrel
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Google-ability of names. I suppose that only becomes a real issue if fans are actively looking for your work, and that's a wonderful problem to have, but it's still probably a good idea to tack on a middle initial or even a full middle name if it means people can find you.

David, not everyone dislikes Dave. :) Depends on who we associate the name with, I think.

I've got a very ethnic name and I'm the only person in the world who has it. Unfortunately because of my career, Google searches are saturated with links to newspaper stories, thousands and thousands of returns for articles in newspapers I've written for, and several thousand others thanks to AP stories picked up by other newspapers. I'm not sure I could get anything to float to the top of Google results, so I'm almost certainly going to go with a pen name. Now I've just gotta find a good one...

Chilari

Staff
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Google-ability of names. I suppose that only becomes a real issue if fans are actively looking for your work, and that's a wonderful problem to have, but it's still probably a good idea to tack on a middle initial or even a full middle name if it means people can find you.

That's a good point - my name is rare enough that most of the first coulple of pages of results on Google if you google my name are me, with the top result being my website (above my Facebook page too!) If I ever use a psudonym, I'll run it by Google first to make sure I'd at least get onto the first page of results with a decent website.

Hi,

I tend to think of the two that the one with the middle initial flows better and sounds more proud.But the question is really what does the name convey to your readers about you? I mean do you want them to think of you as someone more serious and less relaxed, hence the David and not the Dave? Also check out how the two versions look when mocked up on book cover.

For me I don't even use my full name let alone my middle initial. I'm simply Greg Curtis. Gregory was the name my parents used - usually when I was in trouble. I think it conveys to my readers a little less formality and perhaps a little more approachability which is what I want.

I'd also suggest doing a google search on your name - both versions - just to check that there aren't any other authors out there with similar names. In my case there are three of us, but only one of us goes by Greg.

Cheers, Greg.

Sam Evren

Troubadour
Another fun thing to watch out for are similar names that have, oh, say, a criminal past. There's nothing so depressing as finding your favorite-sounding pen name (or your actual proper name) and realizing it's exactly the same as someone who's stolen the candy from thousands of babies.

"You're Igor Rotwell, the author? Are you also Igor Rotwell the serial candy-snatcher?"

Name searching google can save you unanticipated/unwarranted embarrassment down the pike.

Personally, I like the David C. Fernau iteration. :)