• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Zelda is all new in December!

Dreamer

Dreamer
Growing up and playing Nintendo I must say that I was never a huge fan of Zelda but my mom was. After playing
it on Wii I am now addicted. My five year old still plays Zelda: Twilight Princess over and over, so I believe he has been sucked in as well. The new Zelda game for Wii comes out this December. Is anyone else as excited as I am?

Emeria

Scribe
I haven't played any Zelda games yet, but Ocarina of Time is next on my list of things to play (I think...), so it should be fun.

Aegle

Minstrel
Zelda: Skyward Sword is actually releasing in November. I thought, what the world? As I had actually reserved a copy, but it's on the site, too.

As retrieved from Gamespot.com:
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Bundle for Nintendo Wii by Nintendo of America

Release Date 11/20/2011

Dragonie

Scribe
I'm so behind on the Zelda games, but I have a Wii now and so I can catch up, finally! I'm really excited about the new game, although I probably won't get to play it until next year.

Dreamer

Dreamer
Thank you for correcting me on the release date! My mom had told me that she heard it came out in December, so I will have to let her know she was a month late. That is great news! That means we only have one more month to wait. Do you all use any of the websites for help in walk through or do you play the game and discover all on your own?

Dragonie

Scribe
Thank you for correcting me on the release date! My mom had told me that she heard it came out in December, so I will have to let her know she was a month late. That is great news! That means we only have one more month to wait. Do you all use any of the websites for help in walk through or do you play the game and discover all on your own?

I normally try to buy a guidebook, actually, because I like having it right there instead of having to run to my computer (or printing off a million pages). I also like the artwork, checklists, etc. :)

It looks so good. I ordered the bundle that comes with a golden motion-plus Wii-mote. Apparently with motion-plus the sword play is very realistic to your arm movements. I can't wait!

For those that know Zelda lore, how do you feel about this being the first game in the series where Zelda is not a princess? Do you feel like the flying-between-islands world design will be criticized like the tedious ocean-travel design in Wind Waker?

mirrorrorrim

Minstrel
I'm super-excited! I'm actually thinking of buying a Wii just for this game! I have fond memories of all the older Zelda games all the way back to the original, which I played when I was just a child. The Legend of Zelda might not as intricate and complex as some other games, but there's a simple artistic beauty to every title that I find inspiring.

It comes out today, so now I've got to decide if it's really worth $200 for just one game...

:confused:

Last edited:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'm super-excited! I'm actually thinking of buying a Wii just for this game! I have fond memories of all the older Zelda games all the way back to the original, which I played when I was just a child. The Legend of Zelda might not as intricate and complex as some other games, but there's a simple artistic beauty to every title that I find inspiring.

It comes out today, so now I've got to decide if it's really worth $200 for just one game...

You can probably find the Wii second hand for less, and there's just a handful of great Wii games that might help to make it worth it.

My copy of Skyward Sword just came in the mail an hour ago but I've got too many chores to open it up. I also don't have the Wii plus (It was preordered for me as a gift before we realized Wii plus was necessary). I'm really hyped about it though.

mirrorrorrim

Minstrel
You can probably find the Wii second hand for less, and there's just a handful of great Wii games that might help to make it worth it.

My copy of Skyward Sword just came in the mail an hour ago but I've got too many chores to open it up. I also don't have the Wii plus (It was preordered for me as a gift before we realized Wii plus was necessary). I'm really hyped about it though.

I ended up buying a Wii on Black Friday (only $100!), but by the time I got over to where the games were, everything was gone! So I ordered it off of Amazon. It should get here next week. I hope it was worth it...

Phayes

Dreamer
Just wanted to say, in case anyone is wondering about this game still...

I'm not a huge Zelda fan. I've played most of them, because I've always owned a Nintendo, and Zelda is fantasy, but still it's always felt repetitive.

Skyward Sword is different.

This game is a lot of fun, and things make sense. The art style feels like a Zelda game should be. The motion controls are actually working, and working well. (I think the motion controls in this game will change the way sword games are played from now on).

Try it out if you're on the fence about it. If you are a Zelda person... enjoy. It's brilliant.

morfiction

Troubadour
I wonder if this a thread where I can mention Wind Waker? It's a Legend of Zelda thread after all.

Anyhow, I can't think of a more tedious thing to do than sail around in WW... but the developers of the game have you visit all of the islands for various reasons to advance the plot. At the point I'm at, well, I have to find Triforce Pieces! Haven't found a dang one. I remember beating this game before but I had lost my memory card AND Game Cube AND copy of WW so I had to start from scratch.

I can't think of a more boring task to do in a game. Seriously, Twilight Princess AND A Link to the Past were the only two of several Zelda games I've played where I had most of the the time something called........FUN! I finished those two plus both versions of "Link's Awakening" (color and black n' white versions).

But I'm not good at the original Zelda, I have fun in Zelda II but never completed much of it, and I don't like OoT and enjoyed somewhat Majora's Mask although I again didn't get far in it. By comparison I finished all of "Super Mario All Stars" and Super Mario World on SNES! :D

EDIT: I did buy Skyward Sword plus a Motion + controller. I drove up to Walmart and on the way home my card died. The poor engine finally died! On New Year's Day 2012! I had to sell the car for scrap because I couldn't afford a new engine.

A friend of mine talked me into returning the game plus controller un-opened without playing any of the game. I haven't had a chance to re-purchase the game.... :(

This is in reply to Mirrorrim's question in regards to Skyward Sword... Gaming systems these days are good for a number of uses. Streaming video on Netflix is one plus (unless you get an Xbox 360 so you'll have to pay a monthly fee to Microsoft to use apps each month AND pay Netflix their money, too).

There's a plethora of downloadable games on each system plus DLC on 360 and PS3 for the disc games.

But, Wii is host of the Virtual Console! This means "legal emulation" of tons of games for tons of game systems. Sure you can go to seedy locations on the internet and risk getting a virus on your computer OR you can pay for the right to download Sega Genesis games! As long as you budget yourself and get what you really want, you might have tons of fun! (Keep in mind you'll need either a Game Cube controller or Virtual Console game pad.) Nothing truly amazes me more than the idea of a centralized gaming platform for Sega, Commodore 64, Neo Geo, and Turbo Grafx 16! OH YAH!!!

Downloading PSone games on PS3's Playstation Network sorta cuts the mustard, but isn't as sweet!

Last edited: