• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo Daily Accountability Journal

C

Chessie

I wrote 1709 yesterday, haven't done anything yet today. I was trying to fix a huge mistake I made earlier in the chapter that annoyed the living crap out of me. I couldn't move past it...but I still have plenty of time to make this happen for today.

sarasvati

Acolyte
I'm a little late to the party, because NaNo has actually kept me so busy for the first few days that I wasn't doing much posting anywhere. Hopefully it's okay for me to jump in now.

Day 5: Things were going well because I had an outline, so I would just sit down and write. But now I'm getting to the point in my outline where I'm beginning to feel fuzzy and I don't actually know what should come next. I have different events planned out to happen at some point, but they are not quite linked together. So tomorrow, instead of writing, I might have to spend the day on planning.

Chilari

Staff
I wrote nothing at all tomorrow, and I'm going to rewrite some of what I wrote the day before because I wasn't happy with it. Losing steam a bit now. Need to get back on it today.

Graylorne

Archmage
My neighbor in the next apartment is laying a new floor. All the hammering and sawing is murdering my concentration, sigh.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Day 6: Got up to 15,357 words now. I always love crossing the 15K threshold. I've been tempted to go back and fiddle with some things, but I decided forging forward is best. I have an extra file called "Notes for editing" attached to each chapter on Scrivener so I can make notes at any point about problems I'm having or things I need to change. I'm actually a lot happier with this version that I'm doing now as I scrapped a lot of rather typical fantasy monsters (chimera, dragons, etc.) and put in weirder, non-traditional stuff. I have sort of smart-aleck feathered serpent (based on the achiyalabopa of Native American mythology) who I really enjoy. He wasn't part of the original plan, but I'm liking him a lot so far.

Good luck to everyone else!

Butterfly

Auror
Day 6. Today was my day off work and I aimed to write 5,000 words. I didn't quite make that number. I hit 4822, close enough and pushed my total up to 17374. Got to start getting ready for Band rehearsal now.

C

Chessie

Everyone is doing so awesome! Whoohoo!

Yesterday: 1686
Today: 1748
Total: 9719

I have 3 days off coming up so I'll be doing massive writing sessions on those days. :)

Im not returning to work as soon as i thought i was going to be. Thank you nanowrimo, for making that something im happy about.
8,620. Invented horrible creature.
killed said creature.

rapidly approaching the end of the prewritten chunks of novel i was filling between for nanowrimo... soon it will naught but open highway and imagination... not sure if im excited or terrified...

Day 6: 3,279 words total (still)

Two days since I've written anything, though today I took out the first draft of a novel I completed a couple months ago and started reading over it to get ready for the second draft. As for my NaNo novel, I hate it. I don't like where it's going and I don't like the character I'm currently writing for. I'm thinking of setting it aside and starting on something else.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Day 7: Just wrapped up Day 7 and I had my least productive day yet so far. Still made the goal, but I felt like the chapter I was working on was being pantsed a little too much for my comfort level, so I'm glad to get back on track with my outline with this next chapter. I ended up with a final count of 17,030 words. Now that I'm on my outline, I feel like I'm going to start hitting my stride more again. Looking forward to it!

My main character has horrible luck, by the way. :)

Graylorne

Archmage
1,548 today, to a NaNo total of 11,345. Plus I made a totally new time/distance sheet for this part of the journey. So I'm well satisfied for today.

I needed 11,668 by midnight, and punched in a word count of 11,600 at 11:59. Close, but December 1st Aint November 30th.

I had bits and pieces of a novel written, and was filling in between them for NaNo, obviously only counting the freshly written.

I have surpassed the last written, thoroughly thought out section. ahead of me is blank pages, desperately hoping that what ive set up before them is salty enough to carry on through.

I guess this is where it gets really interesting.

sarasvati

Acolyte
Day 6: I made my word goal. The day's writing flew by because I finally got to use my favorite secondary character. I can't believe it took 7 chapters before he showed up.

Day 7: I spent a lot of the day on research (aka digging around an antique store for interesting props) and when I first got home, I was too tired to write. In the end, I managed to squeak out my word goal for the day just around midnight, so I was pleased with my persistence. I also got an idea for the upcoming plot that gave me the shivers. I love it when things come together.

The antique store taught me some interesting local history and rewarded me with a book about local ghost towns, several old photographs (unlabeled, so I can invent what they are!), and a deputy sheriff's tin star. Such treasures! These will mostly play into helping reveal the back story of my novel. (Northern California town with Gold Rush history, and dark secrets in its past.) Tomorrow, I'm going exploring in some of the locations from the ghost town book, so I hope to uncover even more inspiration.

For tonight, I am playing around with Aeon Timeline finally (I downloaded the free trial advertised on the NaNo forums). I am having fun uncovering all of the different functions of the program. I want to get my timeline of events (both in the novel's present and past) well-organized early in this first draft, so I don't make a mess of things. I hope this will help planning my plot both during writing and revision.

Mythopoet

Auror
Well, I'm just recovering from a really awful week of head colds and stomach bugs that hit my family like a hurricane. At this rate I probably won't get back on track until Monday. I'm going to have to put in some serious work to make the goal. Sigh. Why does life always have to sabotage my goals?

Graylorne

Archmage
I thought it was absolutely nothing tody, but when I counted it was still 1,741 words. And every one of them a battle. At least I'm still on schedule; that's something.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Day 8: Got up to 19,224 words. I don't even really recall this day that much, but I definitely wrote! I'm finding my problem at the moment is that I can only seem to write between 12 am-3 am. This is a habit I really hate. I'm hoping to break it today. I wrote a good deal last night, so I'm hoping to carry this momentum on into Day 9 as I punch through the 20,000 word barrier.

Anyone up for a word war? I'm challenging you all! 3,000 words by Saturday night at 11:59 pm.