• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favorite beer

Leuco

Troubadour
Holy cow! I just had me a Smithwick's. These are the best! Usually I like pale ales like Sierra Nevada (my favorite) but this is really, really good. I think this is my new favorite. So what's your favorite?

Also, I've been listening to this new band St. Vincent. I think it's mostly one chick, but she's really good. Does anyone else like St. Vincent? Her new album is really, really good!

Also, I'm a little tipsy. :)

Smithwick's has been my favorite dark beer for a while now - and my love for it grew when I got to drink it in Ireland. Stella Artois is my pale ale favorite with Blue Moon running a close second (at least the seasonal ones - with my favorite one being the Winter Ale: Full Moon - though the Spring Ale: Rising Moon is also good.)

I've had beer all over the word...not just FROM all over the world, but actually in those locales. Some of the best that come to mind:

Various mid-range beers in Germany.
Something dark I had in Prague.
Some homemade stuff in Cuzco.
etc. etc.

I've had a lot of beers in a lot of places.

Winners:
* I once had a Blueberry Beer at the Beer Garden in Portsmouth, VA. It was fantastic and expensive.
* No matter the variety I've had, Blue Moon is my classic go to. Make sure there are a couple slices of squeezed orange and I'm good.
* Cider (not really beer) - but oh so much better. Cider is the way to go!

rayne

Dreamer
Smithwicks is now on my grocery list. I do like to try a new brew when someone recommends it. Like Map the Dragon, my all time favorite is Blue Moon with the orange slices. It just tastes refreshing to me, especially on a hot day. :D

Leuco

Troubadour
Some homemade stuff in Cuzco.

Have you tried the corn beer in Peru? I haven't, but I'm very curious.

Can't go wrong with Blue Moon. Their seasonal selections aren't bad either.

I'm not a big fan of really dark beers-- you know, those that taste like chocolate. They're just too rich for me and I feel guilty drinking them. I know, it's kinda strange, but I do worry about calories in beer. I read that Smithwicks has 150 for 16 oz. That's pretty good for a rich flavored beer. I can't believe they've been making the stuff since 1710. At least that's what it says on the label. Ireland has now been bumped up on my places to visit list.

I generally like the red color beers best. They're fruity, nutty, strong-- but not too strong. Good for a Friday night pint after work.

Sorry for sounding like a commercial, but I guess that's the power of a good beer! One of these days I'm going to try and brew my own. Thanks for responding everyone. :)

Have you tried the corn beer in Peru? I haven't, but I'm very curious.

Can't go wrong with Blue Moon. Their seasonal selections aren't bad either.

I'm not a big fan of really dark beers-- you know, those that taste like chocolate. They're just too rich for me and I feel guilty drinking them. I know, it's kinda strange, but I do worry about calories in beer. I read that Smithwicks has 150 for 16 oz. That's pretty good for a rich flavored beer. I can't believe they've been making the stuff since 1710. At least that's what it says on the label. Ireland has now been bumped up on my places to visit list.

I generally like the red color beers best. They're fruity, nutty, strong-- but not too strong. Good for a Friday night pint after work.

Sorry for sounding like a commercial, but I guess that's the power of a good beer! One of these days I'm going to try and brew my own. Thanks for responding everyone. :)

Have you tried Killian's? It's an Irish Red. And again it was another one I was so glad to taste in Ireland. I even tried the Guiness while I was there......my taste buds haven't acquired that one yet. But I figure if I couldn't enjoy it in its home country - maybe I'm just not meant to :).

Leuco

Troubadour
Have you tried Killian's? It's an Irish Red. And again it was another one I was so glad to taste in Ireland. I even tried the Guiness while I was there......my taste buds haven't acquired that one yet. But I figure if I couldn't enjoy it in its home country - maybe I'm just not meant to :).

I like Killian's too, but I think I was more impressed with Smithwick's. I'm with you on Guinness. I think it's too rich for me.

So does anyone like any small local craft beer? Usually they're a bit stronger and bitter but sometimes they're pleasantly surprising. Do you have one you really like or recommend?

Fnord

Troubadour
I tend to favor German and German-styled beers. I'm also a big fan of IPAs. Thankfully, living in the middle of the country, I get a wide access to all kinds of microbrews. A veritable beer-enthusiast's paradise!

Sparkie

Auror
I see a lot of Blue Moon lovers on this thread. Great stuff. Blue Moon is my favorite, but I like Leine's Honey Weiss and AmberBock too. I'm more of a Captian and Coke guy, so I don't always drink beer. But when I do, I avoid Dos Equis. I'm the World's Least Interesting Man!

Leuco

Troubadour
I see a lot of Blue Moon lovers on this thread. Great stuff. Blue Moon is my favorite, but I like Leine's Honey Weiss and AmberBock too. I'm more of a Captian and Coke guy, so I don't always drink beer. But when I do, I avoid Dos Equis. I'm the World's Least Interesting Man!

All very good stuff. I personally prefer Bohemia over XX, but I rarely drink Mexican beer. I like pale ales. You know, I recently bought a cheap bottle of Don Q rum. It was pretty good. I'd recommend it if you're looking to save a few bucks. :)

Also, senor, here's a neat meme you can play with and send to your friends.

The Most Interesting Man In The World - i dont always post at mythic scribes but when i do i peopl

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Yes, for Mexican beers Bohemia is my favorite.

As for others...there are so many good ones. I like Sam Adams; Bass Ale; Watney's Red Barrel (is that still around?), Harp, Spaten, some of the Boulevard and Schlafly selections, Red Hook, and more.

I'm not much of a drinker, but I do like a good beer now and again (and even more rarely a good scotch, but that is another thread).

Telcontar

Staff
I don't like beer, thus my favorite beer is whiskey.

Though I guess hard cider is a better answer, given that it is much closer to beer. So let's go with that.

Reaver

Staff
Interesting, Telcontar...I don't like whiskey, thus my favorite whiskey is tequila. Hard cider? Pish-posh. Mad Dog 20/20--now that's what I call high-quality liquid crack.

Sparkie

Auror
Bringin' this thread back to life for one reason: Shiner Bock.

A few more beers I've tried since my last post here are Shock Top, Bohemia, and Amstel Light. Good stuff.

Anyone have some beers they'd like to recommend?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
It is Chimay Bleue for me. A Belgian Trappist beer. At 9% you can be under the table before you know it. It is a dark beer even though it is made like a larger... apparently so it is more bitter than sweet.
When in Belgium I bought some and the seller suggested I "lay it down for a few years" and WOW does it get better with age...

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I like light lagers, nothing too strong, also not too cold... I don't understand why so many people like to drink their beer super cold instead of just normal cold, and also I like dark lagers much more than the pale ones.

The Duvel from Belgium is a very impressive Ale beer, but the brand that I usually drink is called Leon, a light but dark lager from Mexico that is my favourite.

I also like Heineken... a lot!! =)