• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Are you a Type A, or type B personality?

I have taken a few personality tests over the years and all come back telling me I have a very high score for a type A personality.

Then they try to force meds on me so I can relax. But I like who I am.

Just wondering what other people's personalities are?

If you don't know you can take a quick test here
http://cl1.psychtests.com/take_test.php?idRegTest=2986

It seems to me the most productive writers are typicaly type A people. Don't get me wrong there are a few type B's but not nearly as many as the A's.

So which are you?
Do you think that one has an advantage over the other in this field of work?

Last edited:

Dragonie

Scribe
Haha, the test says I fall between a Type A and a Type B. Nearly exactly in the middle, actually: I got a 53/100. I'm pretty sure that's because I'm not cutthroat enough to never relax and only have useful friends, and I can relax pretty easily and not care too much if someone does something horribly wrong. :p

I took the test and scored a 45 - almost exactly halfway between, which I expected. I know when I was younger I was more of a B, but as I became an adult I started becoming more A-type.

As far as my writing goes, I refuse to send something out unless it's as close to perfect as I can manage, and I feel competitive when I think another would-be writer's work is better than mine.

I don't know that one will have the advantage over another. If a type B is passionate about writing, they'll do it... they just won't stress about it. :) Also, they may be amazing writers who are less likely to publish because they don't mind if their work is just for them and some close friends.

Amanita

Maester
I scored 47 points and am also inbetween. The fact that this is happening to so many of us proves my point that humanity cannot be divided into only two character types. ;)
But I quite like these tests. The Keirsey test is rather interesting as well. I've done it for myself and for many of my characters. And strangely enough, I always get the same result my villains get. :confused: No idea, what this could tell me about myself.
If you want to try: Personality test based on Jung and Briggs Myers typology
This actually helps me better with my character building than any of the character sheets found on the web.

Thursday

Scribe
I got a 72 so it seems I'm type A but I have a pretty laid back lifestyle. I do think powerful and successful people are Type As.

I scored 47 points and am also inbetween. The fact that this is happening to so many of us proves my point that humanity cannot be divided into only two character types. ;)
But I quite like these tests. The Keirsey test is rather interesting as well. I've done it for myself and for many of my characters. And strangely enough, I always get the same result my villains get. :confused: No idea, what this could tell me about myself.
This actually helps me better with my character building than any of the character sheets found on the web.
Cool, however I don't think I'm quite as cold as it says I am but... eh oh well. could be worse I guess.
The link I posted I score a 89 on the scale.

Shadoe

Sage
I got a 70. I probably would have gotten 95 ten years ago, but I've mellowed with age.

Though the first question asked what I'd do about a co-worker who was doing better than I was. Like that's ever happened....

I got a 40, I think age has a good bit to do with it. At 25 I'd have probably had an 80 or more.

I work in a place with a great deal of intelligent and skilled people. First place I've worked where I wasn't one of the smartest people in the place. It's actually nice to be so many people that can understand me. :)

Shadoe

Sage
I get that too. I used to work a lot of jobs working around people who didn't think and didn't want to. Working in nuclear keeps me on my toes.

They still don't understand me, but at least I don't have to talk down to them.

WhiteTiger

Dreamer
Well, I also received an: Overall results
You seem to fall somewhere in the middle between a Type A and Type B personality. Sometimes you are as laidback as a Type B; in other situations, you can be a high achiever or express impatience and hostility like a Type A. Either you adjust your behavior depending on the situation, or you tend to have a moderate attitude. In other words, you have some of the good and the bad associated with the Type A Personality. With a bit of drive, perfectionism and competitiveness to keep you going, you likely are able to achieve many of your goals in life without pushing yourself to the point of exhaustion. However, you also have some of the negative emotionality associated with the TABP as well - you may find that you become a bit hostile, impatient, or stressed in the face of obstacles and frustrations. Your moderate score however, means that you possess a healthy balance, so long as you keep your negative emotions in check.

I scored 47 points and am also inbetween. The fact that this is happening to so many of us proves my point that humanity cannot be divided into only two character types.
But I quite like these tests. The Keirsey test is rather interesting as well. I've done it for myself and for many of my characters. And strangely enough, I always get the same result my villains get. No idea, what this could tell me about myself.

~nods~ completely agrees... ha ha ha :D

Last edited:

Fnord

Troubadour
71/100.

I'm also an INTJ and my strength-finder traits are Learner, Ideation, Strategic, Analytical, and Achiever.

I've taken a number of assessment tests. :D

Linqy

Scribe
I got a 31/100!

Type B for the win. But yea, it fits me well I think. Stressing about things like cab drivers isn't really my thing and even though I am very, very competitive I won't complete work myself up about stuff like that.
Fun test!

You seem to fall somewhere in the middle between a Type A and Type B personality. Sometimes you are as laidback as a Type B; in other situations, you can be a high achiever or express impatience and hostility like a Type A. Either you adjust your behavior depending on the situation, or you tend to have a moderate attitude. In other words, you have some of the good and the bad associated with the Type A Personality. With a bit of drive, perfectionism and competitiveness to keep you going, you likely are able to achieve many of your goals in life without pushing yourself to the point of exhaustion. However, you also have some of the negative emotionality associated with the TABP as well - you may find that you become a bit hostile, impatient, or stressed in the face of obstacles and frustrations. Your moderate score however, means that you possess a healthy balance, so long as you keep your negative emotions in check.

I scored a 51 as well. And I think that this is mostly true (except for the exhaustion bit). I know I can have a tendency to become a little one-track minded when I'm truly focused on achieving something - and I also know I'll burn both ends to do it - which I guess is why I've tipped the edge towards Type A.

This is fun...

I found this and thought I would share it. http://exam.tetrics.org/free-personality-test-l/washingtonDC (grad students project.)
If you give your email addy at the end up are entered to win a 50$ gift cert.
took me about 15 mins to finish it because I was cooking dinner at the same time.

Enjoy it!
My results were
Conscientiousness

85th Percentile

Your result of 4.62 is in the 85[SUP]th[/SUP] percentile.
You take responsibilities seriously, you make sure that things get done. Not only do you make sure they get done, but make sure they get done right. This characteristic is something people find admirable and remark upon how reliable you are.

Agreeableness

5th Percentile

Your result of 2.62 is in the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] percentile.
You are generally skeptic of people and their intentions towards you. This is because you understand that the only person that you can truly rely on is yourself.

Emotional Stability

5th Percentile

Your result of 1.50 is in the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] percentile.
For you life, can be very stressful. It is not uncommon for you worry and stress yourself out. However you do love life and all that it brings.

Achievement

60th Percentile

Your result of 4.29 is in the 60[SUP]th[/SUP] percentile.
Creating meaningful goals that you can set out and accomplish is important to you. You gain satisfaction by being to meet the goals that you set out for yourself. The goals you set help create a path to achieve things of importance to you.

Affiliation

1th Percentile

Your result of 2.29 is in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] percentile.
You are a person who does not need others to feel validated. There is only one drummer you march to and that is your own. You have no issue going out on your own, whether it be to a movie or a nice restaurant. Though you do have your close friends that you enjoy spending time with. But the party scene is not your favorite place on a Saturday night.
{this is so right on! I can count the number of friends I have on one hand, and you will never find me in a club, unless I know everyone that is there.}
Impulsiveness

1th Percentile

Your result of 2.14 is in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] percentile.
You are someone who thinks things through. You do your research before jumping in and committing to something. Flashy advertising and peer pressure do not matter when it comes to making decisions. The future is something you prepare for whether it be consequences of your actions or saving for the future.

Responsibility

85th Percentile

Your result of 4.50 is in the 85[SUP]th[/SUP] percentile.
When there is something important to be done, you make sure it is done right. Not only do you make sure that the job gets done no matter what the cost. It is common that you go above and beyond what is expected of you by taking a calculated risk if need to accomplish the task at hand. Finally you understand that your actions impact others, and know how to act accordingly.

Creativity

85th Percentile

Your result of 4.57 is in the 85[SUP]th[/SUP] percentile.
You are a person who sees the world a little different than everyone else. There is a sense of awareness that inspiration can strike at any moment. Curiosity and understanding how things work is extremely important to you.

Last edited:

Fnord

Troubadour
Kind of weird, I think I'm way more agreeable than that.

Conscientiousness

60th Percentile
Your result of 3.94 is in the 60th percentile.
You take responsibilities seriously, you make sure that things get done. Not only do you make sure they get done, but make sure they get done right. This is not to say that you are so uptight and focused that you are unapproachable, and inflexible.

Agreeableness

5th Percentile
Your result of 3.25 is in the 5th percentile.
You are generally skeptic of people and their intentions towards you. This is because you understand that the only person that you can truly rely on is yourself.

Emotional Stability

40th Percentile
Your result of 2.80 is in the 40th percentile.
For you life has its ups and downs. However there is good that you see in the world. You try not to let yourself get stressed out about things. Even though you are not always successful and can get stressed out.

Achievement

85th Percentile
Your result of 4.57 is in the 85th percentile.
Accomplishing the goals you set out is of the utmost importance to you. Not only is achieving them important to you, they also must be challenging. The goals you set help create a path to achieve life goals.

Affiliation

1th Percentile

Your result of 2.57 is in the 1st percentile.
You are a person who does not need others to feel validated. There is only one drummer you march to and that is your own. You have no issue going out on your own, whether it be to a movie or a nice restaurant. Though you do have your close friends that you enjoy spending time with. But the party scene is not your favorite place on a Saturday night.

Impulsiveness

1th Percentile

Your result of 2.00 is in the 1st percentile.
You are someone who thinks things through. You do your research before jumping in and committing to something. Flashy advertising and peer pressure do not matter when it comes to making decisions. The future is something you prepare for whether it be consequences of your actions or saving for the future.

Responsibility

60th Percentile

Your result of 4.00 is in the 60th percentile.
When there is something important to be done, you make sure it is done right. Not only do you make sure that the job gets done, you often go above and beyond what is expected of you. This is a characteristic that people have noticed and commended you on often. Finally you understand that your actions impact others, and know how to act accordingly.

Creativity

60th Percentile

Your result of 4.29 is in the 60th percentile.
Creativity flow from you, there is a sense of understanding and wonderment when you look at the world. There is very few times when you run out of inspiration. However you do know there is a time and a place for creativity and keep that balance.

I wonder if they have the agreeableness a bit skewed...still interesting

Conscientiousness
60th Percentile

Your result of 3.81 is in the 60th percentile.

You take responsibilities seriously, you make sure that things get done. Not only do you make sure they get done, but make sure they get done right. This is not to say that you are so uptight and focused that you are unapproachable, and inflexible.

Agreeableness
15th Percentile

Your result of 3.75 is in the 15th percentile.

You are generally skeptic of people and their intentions towards you. This is because you understand that most of the time the only person that you can rely on is yourself.

Emotional Stability
60th Percentile

Your result of 4.30 is in the 60th percentile.

You are a rock, nothing is going to slow you down. Life for you is good. You just take things as they come. Though you sometimes end feeling a little down but this is normal.

Achievement
60th Percentile

Your result of 4.43 is in the 60th percentile.

Creating meaningful goals that you can set out and accomplish is important to you. You gain satisfaction by being to meet the goals that you set out for yourself. The goals you set help create a path to achieve things of importance to you.

Affiliation
60th Percentile

Your result of 3.86 is in the 60th percentile.

You often find yourself going to parties, or partaking in group activities. Hanging out with people is something you enjoy. Though you are not completely reliant on others you have the ability to be comfortable being yourself and by yourself.

Impulsiveness
1th Percentile

Your result of 2.14 is in the 1st percentile.

Responsibility
40th Percentile

Your result of 3.75 is in the 40th percentile.

When there is something you agree to do, you make sure it gets done on time. You understand that your actions impact others, and know how to act accordingly. Given this you will do what is expected of you because you know that it is your duty.

Creativity
60th Percentile

Your result of 3.71 is in the 60th percentile.

Creativity flow from you, there is a sense of understanding and wonderment when you look at the world. There is very few times when you run out of inspiration. However you do know there is a time and a place for creativity and keep that balance.

IDK, it is a grad students research so could be a bit sideways... perhaps fluffing his thesis a bit?

However, I know that I am a disagreeable B*tch. :D it's one of my finer points. ROFL.

At least people don't aruge with me too much, because I won't say anything unless I know for sure I am right. That or you have ticked me off beyond reasoning. Either way it usualy ends badly for the opposition.

* I should add here that I am not always a horrid person. If you are a friend I will move the earth its self to help you if I can. *

Last edited:
Overall it seemed not too far off, but besides being highly opinionated in certain areas, I'm normally can get along well with most people. Well, until they tell me I'm wrong when I'm right. :D

But with time and age, I've gotten much better at smiling and letting them run off and discover they are wrong on their own. Kind of more enjoyable when they won't look at you for several days when they discover I was right.

I made the mistake of marrying someone so laid back that nothing bothers them...
Water dripping, who cares, trash still not taken out thats ok, "tomorrow".
Its enough to give me a stroke! :eek:
But perhaps with time, I too shall chillax... *crossing fingers*

However, in some ways it is good, I no longer feel driven to sanatize every inch of the house twice a day.... LOL
I wonder if OCD and type A are found together as much as I assume?