• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Are you a Type A, or type B personality?

Ghost

Inkling
People make you take meds for scoring high on this type of test??

You possess many of the characteristics of a Type B personality. Type B persons are characterized as having a "stop and smell the roses" attitude towards life. They are very relaxed and rarely become hostile, aggressive or competitive. Open-minded and forgiving, they are of a flexible nature. Type B persons tend to follow either an "Everybody Must Win" or "Live and Let Live" credo; they have a more passive and submissive slant to their personality. In either case, whether to fight a cause or simply stand up for themselves, Type B persons sometimes lack the drive that could help them achieve their goals. You yourself may want to work on building up some more initiative and dynamism. Otherwise, you run the risk of missing out on important opportunities. Pushing yourself and competing a little bit for your place in the sun can certainly add some spice to your life.

I got a 25. And yes, I'm a slacker. The parts about "live and let live" and being passive were true for me. I think on things for a long time before I commit. Even if I know things can be changed later, made better, I can't muster the energy to write or build on something I'm not passionate about. I mull things over too much, but tracking all the developments I've made in my world and in character motivations, I can't say it was time wasted for me.

I would say that type A has an advantage since the work ethic is probably better. From my perspective, it also sounds stressful. I'm interested in personal bests, but I don't need to be better than anyone else. I'm not in a hurry to write an opus. Letting things fall into place comes more naturally to me.

Being a developer, I used to be so particular. Code needed to be just the right formatting, and names had to be certain ways, and comments formatted in the right manner. When someone didn't do it that way I would get all bent out of shape. I was quite a pain, to myself and others. One day I came to realize, it just doesn't matter what it looks like. Can I understand it? Do the comments help me make sense of it? Does it work? Excellent, I don't have to do it and the job is done.

I guess as I get a little bit older I have had to make some decisions on whether I want to be happy, or have things perfect. Since nothing ever reaches perfection, I have decided happy is better. I now can be happy with things working as they should, and won't come back to haunt me too badly in the future.

Ok, with writing I'm still picky, but that's because if I'm going to read something, it should be enjoyable.

People make you take meds for scoring high on this type of test??

LOL If only you knew... I have had doctors try to tell me that my obsession with near perfect is unhealthy, you need meds to relax, but then you need more meds to deal with the depression the first meds bring on...
Unhappy with the way life is going? you need meds for depression.
No friends, or very few friends? Meds for social anxiety dissorder... (which IMO is really a deep seated distain for humanity in general, but that is a whole other topic.)
Can't sleep, sleeping pills...
I tried doing as I was told, for about 2 yrs, I woke up one day and was all shades of seriously not happy.
Trashed the pills ( all of them ) dealt with the cascade of physiological issues doing that caused me, and found a doc who was willing to ignor my "personality" and just treat the acctual issues.

But yeah every doc I seen for a long time pushed one or more pills after an "assesment" which included personality tests.

It took a while but I finally learned that there is nothing wrong with being a picky, snarky, B*tch.
That is just who I am, it is not a problem or "abnormal" or any other lable that others have tried to push.

Embrace yourself was the lesson I took away from all that. You can not be happy with anything or anyone unless you are first happy within your own skin. :)

Turns out I really don't like most people, I worked odd hrs which caused the sleep disturbances. The meds I was on jacked my brain chemistry causing the depression. Yes I was unhappy with life but when you can't sleep, work 19/24 hrs you are not likely to find much to be happy about, top that off with going through a wicked nasty divorce and it is a perfect brew of blah.

None of these has anything to do with my "personality."
The only thing my now trusted doc can find that is directly linked to my personlity is my need for nearly perfect, which in his opinion is a mixed blessing. I do well in school, always top of the class. I do well in work (if I work alone {I can't stand mistakes that people make when it really is as simple as putting forth minimal effort to think}) My home is always neat, clean. none of which would prompt being medicated to the point where one can't function, if at all.

The only pills I take now are for my heart rate, and advil for headaches.

Last edited:

Fnord

Troubadour
I always take being unhappy with life with needing to change something fundamentally. Drowning it in pills seems like a terrible approach.

I always take being unhappy with life with needing to change something fundamentally. Drowning it in pills seems like a terrible approach.
Yep I totaly agree!
But who was I to argure with a DR? I mean they did go to school a lot longer than I as a mear RN had...

I guess the bottom line is if you are not happy find out why Really dig down and locate the root cases and then fix it, but having said that you can't find anything if you yourself are fundamentaly broken. Shore up the foundation first then root out the rubbish.

If you doctor is not helping find a new doctor, if that one fails try another one, keep going until you find one who is willing to fix things the way you want them fixed (within reason)

And love your unique personalities :D I can't name a single person who is a friend now that liked me when they first met me, but they stuck around and got to know me, and now they are worth my time, and effort, and they know I'm all in 100% :)

buyjupiter

Maester
59/100.

I guess knitting has seriously calmed me down over the last couple of years. I think getting a tangible result out of waiting other than impatience and irritation has helped me a lot. Plus, it seems to be the only time I can relax and zen out other than writing.

I scored 21, which seems reasonable. Of course, I have no way of knowing if I actually answered honestly or simply clicked on the replies I delude myself into thinking apply to me.

JRFLynn

Sage
52/100

I definitely stress, and am somewhat neurotic when life throws a curveball, but some things I let go. One thing that's spot on is I definitely won't publish my work until it's PERFECT. Of course, it's true no book is perfect, but I don't want to be embarrassed by minor errors or plot holes either. The story has to match what's in my soul, which is part of the reason why editors make me cringe. Though, I'm sure it's not as horrible as I think it would be. I just remember Stephen King reminiscing about having to machete The Last Stand by a hundred pages because of the publisher he worked with at the time. Honestly, I don't think I could do that...

Ginger Bee

Scribe
I got a 47.

Your interactions with others, while generally characterized by warmth and tolerance, are also at times tinged with impatience and hostility. When you're stressed or frustrated, you can lash out at others or end up stewing in anger or frustration. Even your moderate score may put you at risk because this aspect of the Type A Behavior Pattern (TABP) can not only be extremely harmful to relationships, it is also very damaging to your health. While originally it was thought that global TABP was the culprit in coronary heart disease, research now shows that hostility, impatience, and the other related traits are likely the real source of the problem. Based on your results here, you may be at an increased risk of heart disease. Keep in mind however, that there are other causes unrelated to the TABP, such as poor diet, lack of exercise, and smoking, among other things.

I expected to be in the middle because I am goal-oriented and driven, but at the same time, feel pretty laissez-faire about most things. I do tend to get irritable when rudeness or thoughtlessness is involved, so that would be why the test thinks I'm at risk for a coronary. Hahaha. That part is very far from the truth. :)

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
22 but it looks like the same text as Ginger Bee
Your interactions with others, while characterized by warmth and tolerance the majority of the time, may occasionally be tinged with impatience and hostility. When you're stressed or frustrated, you may lash out at others or end up stewing in anger or frustration, but this is very rare. Since you generally trust others, you are usually willing to open up emotionally and value relationships for the sake of the people involved, instead of what they can do for you. This is fortunate because a high amount of this aspect of the Type A Behavior Pattern (TABP) can not only be extremely harmful to relationships, it is also very damaging to your health. While originally it was thought that global TABP was the culprit in coronary heart disease, research now shows that hostility, impatience, and other related traits are the real source of the problem. Based on your results here, you are likely not at a very elevated risk of heart disease, but keep in mind that there are other causes unrelated to the TABP, such as poor diet, lack of exercise, and smoking, among other things.
so it is probably a very flat curve...