• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hopefully final revision of my magic system

Gwydir

Dreamer
So, since my first post last night regarding my MC and recieving good feedback it's given me a good shove to get the whip cracking on my work and share my ideas with other writers to hear some constructive criticism... This may take a bit. You've been warned.

So my magic system as it stands, when the gods created the first races they did so without giving them magic. Over tine the gods became lazy and decided that rather than performing acts of godliness they would give mortals the power to make their own wishes and desires come true. Thus the gods bestowed magic upon mortals.

As you could imagine mortals trying to wield the power of a god with no direction ir training would be disasterous. The mortal races became greedy and power hungry, always trying to best each other. There was one group of mages though that devoted their time to strict study and understanding of these new powers.

The gods saw what the majority of mortals were doing and decided to revoke their gift. This band of mages how ever sought to deny the gods their wish and to teach other mortals how to use magic appropriately. The gods took form in the physical world for the first time and a cataclysmic battle between the group of mages and the gods ensued.

The mages and gods were on equal ground, each side gave one final push and the mages unleashes the technique the gods would try to use to relinquish the mortals of their power; taking the magic from every other mortal, focusing the energy and creating a rift into another plane that they pushed the gods through and sealed them away. Once this was done the mages released all their collective magical energy, destroying themselves in the process.

This is what current mages tap into. Magic is energy. It can't be created or destroyed. Only transfered and manipulated. Learning spells requires a mage to enter deep meditation to learn the spell before being able to cast it. Kind of like a lucid dream. They're fully aware they're in this state but can learn how to cast a spell with out negative ramifications. Doing it in the physical world takes inmmense concentration and dicipline. Some highly practiced mages can contact the spirits of any past mage to help learn new techniques.

To cast certain spells an element of will and mentality is involved. Eg: a mage who could not bring themselves to kill a man without magic he could not do so with magic without there being blow back on the caster. This is the reason soldiers are forbidden to practice magic in most societies and vice versa.

Those gifted with magic are completely random post the demise of he gods, genetics have nohing to do with it nor is there any outside influence. There are no set schools of magic as such but most mages tend to follow a path of study that appeals to them most.

Gwydir

Dreamer
Not sure if I've explained enough to get the full scope, I'm quite tired haha. I'll hopefully make a more concise version with more intricasies following feedback from this thread. All comments and opinions are welcome :)

Noma Galway

Archmage
The mages and gods were on equal ground, each side gave one final push and the mages unleashes the technique the gods would try to use to relinquish the mortals of their power; taking the magic from every other mortal, focusing the energy and creating a rift into another plane that they pushed the gods through and sealed them away. Once this was done the mages released all their collective magical energy, destroying themselves in the process.
Those gifted with magic are completely random post the demise of he gods, genetics have nohing to do with it nor is there any outside influence. There are no set schools of magic as such but most mages tend to follow a path of study that appeals to them most.
I would like to ask...where is the magic coming from? The mages pulled all the magic from everyone else and then all destroyed themselves...and you said it had nothing to do with genetics, but then where does it come from?

Gwydir

Dreamer
I see what you mean. Like I said, very tired haha. Essentially the approach I'm going for is the force in star wars. It's just there. And some people can use it and others can't, simple. This has been giving me trouble for ages. Gonna have to rethink it again..