• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

[Reading Group] Nominations are OPEN!

Quillstine

Troubadour
I would be remiss not to mention Frank Herbert's Dune one of the best examples of fantasy and SF blended together, old magic and technology working together. It has the Bene Gesserit witches, space guilds, sand worms, the Weirding Way, a "Chosen One" (probably the best one I've ever seen.)

dune-cover-by-john-schoenherr.jpg

I agree entirely...Dune remains one of my favourite books....but once again I thought every one would have read it already!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Well, I'd still like to see this go through. Since GeekDavid hasn't been around in a bit and he was the one that initiated this, let's say let's wait another week. After that, perhaps we can start the voting?

Sorry if I'm being impatient, but I just think this is a good idea and I want to keep it fresh in people's minds.

Here are the novels nominated so far:

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff
Only in Death by Dan Abnett (Warhammer 40K)
Clockwork Angels by Kevin J. Anderson
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
The Black Company by Glen Cook (I think this is what is being nominated?)
Into the Darkness by Harry Turtledove
The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick
Empire of the East by Fred Saberhagen
Dune by Frank Herbert
Seduction of a Wanton Dreamer by Richard Beeson

Not sure if all of these fit the requirements of including magic and technology working in tandem that GeekDavid put forth originally, so we might want to consider that before going forward. We might also want to limit nominations to one or two per month as well?

Anyway, perhaps GeekDavid will return this week or next week and set up the next phase.

Quillstine

Troubadour
Well, I'd still like to see this go through. Since GeekDavid hasn't been around in a bit and he was the one that initiated this, let's say let's wait another week. After that, perhaps we can start the voting?

Sorry if I'm being impatient, but I just think this is a good idea and I want to keep it fresh in people's minds.

Here are the novels nominated so far:

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff
Only in Death by Dan Abnett (Warhammer 40K)
Clockwork Angels by Kevin J. Anderson
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
The Black Company by Glen Cook (I think this is what is being nominated?)
Into the Darkness by Harry Turtledove
The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick
Empire of the East by Fred Saberhagen
Dune by Frank Herbert
Seduction of a Wanton Dreamer by Richard Beeson

Not sure if all of these fit the requirements of including magic and technology working in tandem that GeekDavid put forth originally, so we might want to consider that before going forward. We might also want to limit nominations to one or two per month as well?

Anyway, perhaps GeekDavid will return this week or next week and set up the next phase.

Let hope he returns soon! I really want to see this go ahead also.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Hey guys, I noticed the book hasn't been chosen yet. Is the February timeline still in effect to have it read? I'd like to join the reading group. I'm not very familiar with the books up for consideration, but I'd like some exposure to maybe books I hadn't considered reading before.