• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nice to meet you.

Dagzar

Dreamer
Hello. I saw this forum recommended on the NaNoWriMo forums, so I took a peak, liked what I saw, and joined.

Fantasy and mystery are my preferred genres, though I'll read just about any genre. Except for romance. I don't mind romance as long as it takes a back seat, but if that's all there is, I can't stand it. My favorite series are the Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett and the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

Right now I'm writing fanfiction, though I have several stories in the works. Of them, fantasy (or at least urban fantasy) is the most prevalent genre. My favorite part of the writing process has got to be world building. It's mostly why I love fantasy. I especially love that feeling you get when you perfectly imagine a place in your fantasy world- whether a city, a forest, or whatever, I just love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Welcome Dagzar!

We're big on world-building here, so you'll fit right in. :)

What sort of fanfiction have you been working on?

Dagzar

Dreamer
It’s a Pokemon fanfiction about a journey and growing up. I doubt it’s a fandom that would appeal to most of the forum, but I’ve learned so much from writing it. So much so that I look back at earlier chapters and get embarrassed at the mistakes I made (especially involving commas and dialogue).

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
My exposure to Pokemon is limited, although I enjoyed playing as Pikachu in Super Smash Brothers Brawl. He's a tough little guy. ;)

If your writing is improving as a result, it sounds like a very worthwhile pursuit.

Dagzar

Dreamer
Pikachu is the only character I play in SSBB. There's nothing more enjoyable than spamming Thunders. :)

Yup, I definitely don't regret anything I write. Even my earlier works which I can't look at without wanting to gorge my eyes out helped me improve, even if I don’t want to admit it sometimes.

Chilari

Staff
Ah, pokemon. Without the release of Pokemon Black and White on Friday, I'd have had a productive weekend. It's that second gym leader. And Terry Pratchett is a brilliant writer. Welcome.

Pokemon is good o_O though if you asked me to name them all I'd look at you stupidly LMAO there's just too many.. I've played all the games for every system though and I can't wait for black and white to release LOL

Chilari

Staff
Black and White has been released. In the UK at least. Does this mean something has been released in the UK BEFORE the US? No, that's impossible. We generally have to wait months. TV shows are the worst, we get the Christmas episodes in April. (Though tbh, it's worse with Aussie shows, we get them 6 months out for some reason.) I heard various US companies were pushing for Harry Potter (films and the last book) release a day earlier in the US so they get them first in spite of time zones. It didn't happen, though, cause JKR is British and she blocked it.

Black and White has been released. In the UK at least. Does this mean something has been released in the UK BEFORE the US? No, that's impossible. We generally have to wait months. TV shows are the worst, we get the Christmas episodes in April. (Though tbh, it's worse with Aussie shows, we get them 6 months out for some reason.) I heard various US companies were pushing for Harry Potter (films and the last book) release a day earlier in the US so they get them first in spite of time zones. It didn't happen, though, cause JKR is British and she blocked it.

I dunno I just know I want the games and I can't get them till next month anyway LMMFAO! as to Harry Potter >.> When's the deathly Hollows part two hitting out there? It's SUPPOSED to hit out here either July or November...

Dagzar

Dreamer
Ah, pokemon. Without the release of Pokemon Black and White on Friday, I'd have had a productive weekend. It's that second gym leader. And Terry Pratchett is a brilliant writer. Welcome.
I haven’t got Black or White yet, unfortunately, and I probably won’t get it until my birthday in April. *tries not to cry* And Terry Pratchett really is the best. He's my favorite writer of all time.

Pokemon is good o_O though if you asked me to name them all I'd look at you stupidly LMAO there's just too many.. I've played all the games for every system though and I can't wait for black and white to release LOL
Even a Pokemon fanatic like myself can’t name them all. I can’t help but feel ashamed every time I have trouble remembering a fourth gen Pokemon name. And let’s not get started on fifth gen; I don’t know any of them except for the starters because I want to play the game relatively blind.

F

Falunel

Welcome, fellow NaNo recruit. I also love world-building, and as Black Dragon said, there's a board devoted to world-building here. I'm certain you'll fit right in. :)

Seconding you on romance as well- the genre feels overdone at times, so it's a relief when it doesn't take over the plot. I'll also second you on Prachett (though I've just begun reading his works) and Pokemon.

Dagzar

Dreamer
The problem I find with romance is that books just spend so much time on it and make it seem so important compared to the plot and such. I can squee over cute couples as well as the next person, but I like my romance in the background.

For Pratchett, I highly recommend the Watch books in the Discworld series (starts with Guards! Guards!); they’re his best work, in my opinion. Though I also love Good Omens. It’s not a Discworld book, but it’s co-written by Neil Gaiman and is absolutely breathtaking.