• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Wheel of Time Series

gavintonks

Maester
Well i have just started 13 and you realize just how complicated the series has become, so looking forward to some of the threads getting finalized, his style is continuous with the story so I have no problem with the author

gavintonks

Maester
well I have started 13 now towers of midnight and it has taken a while to get through the threads but I would like to see the end the story is good despite the wandering narration and huge number of sub plots

gavintonks

Maester
well he writes with cliches that will make an agent cringe, but he sells, they have lit each thread and touched a chapter on each, so far there are some intriguing hints and a new twist which I quite like so we will read till the one power puts itself to bed

Will

Scribe
I bought book 1, whilst in Iceland (the country). It took me about 3-4 months to finish, I wasn't too impressed. About 8-10 months later (after re-reading A Song of Ice and Fire), I decided I wanted to continue reading this series. Rather than going straight for book 2, I decided to re-read book 1, to refresh my memory. I got about 100 pages in and gave up. This was about 4 months ago. Recently, I have been re-reading book 1 very slowly. I got about 150 pages in. After reading this thread, I have decided to give up again. It just doesn't do it for me. I want to read Gormenghast.

gavintonks

Maester
well from chapters of telling and
thank god the woman lost her hair so she cannot tug it anymore and other people are sniffing so maybe thats a god send

if you enjoy god pov
being told how every one is feeling
silly inserts that have really no bearing on the story - probably just because he can or to increase the word count so they can get a higher price
so far their are so many battles and fights and people wandering around looking for the end of days I hardly finding it gripping, it is a brilliant toilet read
sad ending to at times a good book
How the writer can be published with every written action spelt in big letters by publishers that will ensure your rejection, just means they do not care about the quality just have a market that wants satisfying at any cost

Tasha

Dreamer
I love this series and think sanderson is doing an amazing job. The books are heavy reading but heh I associate heavy reading with high/epic fantasy. Think there is only 2-3 books left if i remember right or is it one. either way I will be sad to see it go. Not many books around like it nowadays sadly

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I need to finish this up at some point. I haven't made it to the stuff Sanderson has worked on.

Seriously, I'd love it if Sanderson would go re-edit books 7-11. Hell, he'd probably condense it all into two books. I think he did a great job with 12 and 13, and I'm looking forward to 14 (whenever the hell it gets published).

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Seriously, I'd love it if Sanderson would go re-edit books 7-11. Hell, he'd probably condense it all into two books. I think he did a great job with 12 and 13, and I'm looking forward to 14 (whenever the hell it gets published).

Yeah. Some point in there I got to where I would only listen to the books on audio CD on long drives. I couldn't stand to sit there and read them anymore.

I hold the same opinion of most commentors to this post. I read the first 2 or 3 books, if memory serves and found it too slow and ponderous. Unfortunately, I only remembered that after buying the first book again for my kindle last year and doing a re-read. Same result. :(

Mindfire

Istar
I'll read the Wheel of Time... whenever they release abridged versions. Can any of you persuade me it's worth it to read them before that happens? Because I've horrific things about the purple prose and padding. :/

gavintonks

Maester
it is as bad as anyone can say the telling is cringe worthy in the fight scenes it is ridiculous, so I am plowing through to see the end of he story, there are still moments of brilliance, but its bad writing

The last I heard it will be releasing early next year.

Sanderson does a much better job, and if he did redo it, it would be better overall. Doubt that will happen though.

Chandrapal

Minstrel
I have started this series, and right now I have read half of the first book where Perrin and Egwene meets Elyas. He says that Perrin can sense wolves like him. So my question is, before they had embarked their journey Emond's Feild was under threat of winter and wolves, then why couldn't he sensed there? Or have I mised something ?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
. So my question is, before they had embarked their journey Emond's Feild was under threat of winter and wolves, then why couldn't he sensed there? Or have I mised something ?

The characters are changing because of the pattern and Rand's influence on it. So as things start to unfold, the characters start moving into roles and abilities dictated by the pattern that weren't necessarily there before. That's my take on it.

As for purple writing - there really isn't any, whether in the Jordan books or the Sanderson books. But Jordan seemed to get sidetracked and could have wrapped things up much more quickly than he did.

Chandrapal

Minstrel
So far I have crossed 400 pages of the first book. Rand, Mat and Perrin gets first dream and they found rats with broken backs next day in inn. On boat Spray, Rand envsions second dream and he finds his finger thronging. While Perrin too gets a dream where Ba'alzamon burns a wolf and summons a raven which pierce his left eye. But when he wakes up he can sense the wailing of wolves but his eye was fine? How?