• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo

I would dearly love to do NaNo this year (I've never done it 'properly', but have written a novel in 7 weeks after setting myself a 10,000 word a week goal, so I know I can do it), but having 2 small children (one clingy toddler and a 12 week old baby) means I really just don't think I'm going to be allowed to do it - each time I sit down to write, either the baby cries or the toddler wants attention! It's a shame, really, because my other attempts at getting involved in the past have been scuppered by work (November is a hideous month in teaching), but this year I'm off on Maternity - you'd think I'd have loads of time, being largely at home, but noooooo... :rolleyes:

Mistresselysia, I know what you mean. I have a 17-month-old and an almost-4-year-old. I stay at home full time (at least until winter puts an end to my husband's road construction job) and I feel like I can never get anything done. Every time I sit down to write, I can't help thinking, "I should be cleaning," "I should take my kids outside," "I should get dinner started," "I should be working on their Halloween costumes or finishing that baby blanket for my friend," etc. I hate it. If I try and do everything else, by the time I'm ready to write, my husband is home from work. He's working such long hours right now that some nights he doesn't even see the kids, so I feel like when he's here it's good for our marriage for us to hang out. :)

At the same time, whenever I'm not writing I feel bad because this is supposed to be my attempt at making money from home. I can't win.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Site opens up in several days! I'm super pumped. I've once again changed my idea, so I have to outline quickly before November comes. Should be a blast as always. I need to buy some new notebooks to keep with me when I have spare time so I can scribble away. Hope everyone else is gearing up!

JCFarnham

Auror
The site is open right? I've been on and posting since last november, Though I imagine you mean the wipe happens soon [on the 10th I've heard]

Still I'm raring to get started on my novel again--yeah I am cheating a little bit, but I envision no other way to get this damn thing going hehe--I'm also going to make a list of awesome threads to restart, so we don't miss out this year ha!

Shadoe

Sage
I'm going to do this. I'm probably going to die in the attempt, but I'm going to do this.

My boss has me working 12-hour days. I've had to get a bunch of fake dollar bills and paste them around my apartment to remind me why I'm still here. But I have an hour a day to play with, darn it, and I'm going to WRITE during that hour!!!

pskelding

Troubadour
I'm in training for the event right now. I'm using 750words.com to write 750+ words a day. I'm on a 7 day streak with almost no distractions and getting the words out in under 30 minutes per day. I am not writing my Nano story though, working on something else that will finish in under 30,000 words.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
@JCFarnham: Yeah, I was talking about the wipe on Oct. 10th. That is when I can update my profile, etc. So I'm looking forward to a clean slate.

@pskelding: That's a great idea for "training" for NaNoWriMo. Like any marathon, it's a good idea to get some practice in before the big run. I may try to do that as well throughout October.

One thing that always is disappointing for me during NaNoWriMo is the number of friends I see fall by the wayside. I encourage everyone to stick through it even if you real life is crushing you under its weight. The sense of accomplishment really has been a boost for my writing over the years. I tend to write more and more and I think it's mostly due to NaNoWriMo.

Amanita

Maester
The new page is online now.
And I'm glad that all the "old baggage" from me is gone now. :)
Now I have to decide if I want to do something this year or not...

I have a general plot, and some major plot points, and working on my characters. Will need to get all my scenes defined by the last week. If I can do that, it should be an easy one this year...well, I hope it will be.

pskelding

Troubadour
I'm still training for the event and am still on a 14 day streak of 750 words a day or more! Yay go me! 11,000 words of a fun Chinese fantasy themed novella.

The Nano project is shaping up nicely, scene list is done and now making some storyline and plot adjustments.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I'm thinking of taking part. I've got a lot of university work so I probably won't, or at least, I won't do anything with a extensive outlining and world-building. Perhaps I'll betray my instinct and just write freely.

myrddin173

Maester
I've decided to tweak the rules for myself. Since I have a number of large essays due in November, they are going to be counted in my wordcount.

Dragonie

Scribe
I'm not going to participate this year. Normally I at least give it a shot, and I get a good chunk of something done, but by about the halfway mark I'm wiped out and hating myself/my book/etc. This year I'm just going to cheer others from the sideline, and continue working on my stories at my own pace.

Linqy

Scribe
I just decided I'm going to be participating again this year to take the pressure off of my main project XD

myrddin173

Maester
Less than five hours to go here on the East Coast. Anybody staying up to start writing at midnight? I'm sure not, I'm hoping to get over a cold as soon as possible.