• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Design roadblock. (Resources requested)

Hey, sorry for the inactivity. Been so busy recently to where I didn't even have time to write. (Most of you probably didn't even notice my absence. I rarely post and when I do, it's about problems or questions.)

One thing, which might also assist others on here, is that in my book, Arylos, who is the Shadow Alchemist and the God of War, is a weapon manufacturer and designer. He spends his time creating weapons that will benefit the Templarians during their rebellion. He bases it off of Semigonian technology (which is very similar to the Transformers) who used Candelos, energy made from the cores of stars, as a renewable energy resource and also used in weaponry.

I came up with a way that the weapons function (including prototypes and designs I made myself to back up Arylos's creations), but I don't have a way to make a full virtual drawing.

I want to create a 3D interactive model that shows all of the weapons in every single detail in their design and inner-workings. (for example, when I say a 12 shot single gauge beam gun with rotary action, it will show a weapon similar to an assault rifle with 2 disks connected to each other that have 6 small holes called cylinders and the disks rotate around each other, allowing 12 shots before the disks need to cool down. Rotary action cancels that by allowing the disks and cylinders to rotate and interchange. Basically, rotary action means that when you fire, the cylinder you fired with will be put in line as the other 11 cylinders are used before you come back to the first one, which already cooled down and is ready for another use. Single gauge just means that it fires one beam, also called mono-projectile. Bi-projectile means it can fire two beams from one cylinder. Poly-projectile means it can fire multiple beams. I want to make a 3D model that shows all of this detail and how the weapon works)

Is there a program that allows you to create any weapon you want and have this much detail, such as simulations, or am I stuck with Sketch-Up?

I will also be posting different weapons, the story behind them, and how they work. This should be helpful to the sci-fi writers mainly, but can be used by all. The 3D designer will help a whole lot in this, or you guys can look at drawings that make little to no sense to many people. (I'm an alchemist so a lot of these drawings are covered in so much random things or it's written in a mathematical code.

I'll appreciate any help. (If you guys want designs, feel free to ask. I don't bite.)

This might be a stupid question, but will these models help you write the story? It sounds like you've already got a good grasp of their capabilities, and I wouldn't think the precise specifications would be that important except in a few specific situations (like determining if any parts are interchangeable.)

It's not a stupid question.

These do help because Arylos designs these weapons as part of the story and I want to be sure that they are as accurate as possible.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
You probably know this but fully featured 3D/CAD modelling programs, especially ones that will do mechanics, can be expensive.
I have found this list:
25 (Free) 3D Modeling Applications You Should Not Miss
I haven't tried any of the programs listed [apart from Blender and Sketchup, and those not to any great level] and a couple are home design orientated.
I do echo Feo's point/question and I know that you have said Arylos is a weapons designer but [you knew that was coming]...
Do you have to design the weapons to such a detail? As long as you are consistent and a little be realistic in what you do/say, then it won't matter if the mechanics are utterly complete and "functional". The one caveat to this is may be if a design flaw [or something similar] within a weapon is intrinsic to the plot.

Besides, details like this are absolutely not wasted. They make great material for illustrations (even if you can just make simplified versions for chapter-break icons), and even better topics for a website page on the rules of your weapons, magic, and world. Sounds like catnip for your fans.