• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Publishing Problems

SmokeScribe98

Minstrel
I've been away from writing for a good few months now but I've set it as my resolution this year to get back on track. I first want to polish up my already existing short story and attempt to publish it somewhere and then depending on how that goes start my larger project of creating a fantasy world which I intend to create a wiki page on that I will develop over the course of time.

I have heard of sites such as lulu, but other than that I have an extremely limited knowledge of how publishing works at all. So I ask for some guidance on where I should turn to and what I should do. Any help or assistance you can offer me would be extremely helpful. Grazzie.

TWErvin2

Auror
To supplement what AnneL said above:

You can also find markets for your short story or stories and long fiction (but not agents, just publishers) at: Ralan.com .

SmokeScribe98

Minstrel
What I'm wondering is, what's the best and easiest way for me to present the short story to the largest amount of people? On lulu, in a magazine, or some other means?

Motley

Minstrel
Getting a story published in a magazine or emag with a large reader base is probably the best way. If you self-publish, how many people it gets in front of will be entirely up to your marketing efforts.

danr62

Sage
A recommendation I hear often is to submit short stories to paying markets. Then, when the rights revert after a few months (usually) or if no one buys the rights after you'be shopped them around a bit, you can self publish a collection of stories on Kindle.