• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Feminine Form of "Earl"

Inglorion

Dreamer
I am using the title Earl for one of my fictional countries, instead of count. Now, in England, Earl was masculine and Countess was feminine because the English dropped Count because it sounded too much like a certain profane word. I was considering trying to create a feminine form for earl to use. At first I was going to use Earless, but then I realized that it looked like someone was missing an ear. Maybe Earlette or something?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Earlette looks okay to me. Earline might also work. Though on second look, maybe not. "Ear line"? o_O

Inglorion

Dreamer
Say, "Earl" came from the Scandinavian "Jarl", does anyone know if there is a feminine form of that?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Say, "Earl" came from the Scandinavian "Jarl", does anyone know if there is a feminine form of that?

Hmm. Jarl is a word meaning chief, lord or nobleman, so the feminine equivalent could be a translation of "lady".

*pulls out Old Norse/English dictionary*

Snót? ...I think not.

Menn-skurð (literally necklace-wearer)? Hmm...

Maybe more modern Scandinavian-descended languages would help. Danish, Icelandic, Norwegian, possibly Swedish as well. I don't imagine there'd be too much difference between them.

buyjupiter

Maester
You could go back to the Middle English form: Erl for the man, Erless for the woman. It gets rid of the ear bit. However, it's really close to "Erlking" which is the Germanic king of the Fae...so, there's that.

If you like Jarl, and want to add the -ess ending to it, I might suggest changing the "j" to a "y" if you do. I don't know how many people, unless they're linguistic nerds/Germanic language speakers, would pick up on the "j" being closer to the English "y" sound.

Also, this: Female titles of nobility in Norse langauges - Absolute Write Water Cooler

And this: Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.

Shreddies

Troubadour
Are you looking for simply a feminine version of Earl, or a title for an Earl's wife?

If it's the former, then a viable alternative to inventing a new title is to leave it in its masculine form, which might work depending on the culture you have set up in your world (namely the role of women in it)

For example, something along the lines of 'She Is the King'

If it's the later then you could change Earl to its old English form of Eorl and have Eorless. It may not roll off the tongue real well, but it also doesn't look like she's missing her ears. :)

Ophiucha

Auror
There may be rather crude etymological reasons that Earl-Countess was used in England which relate to how closely 'count' sounds to another word when one has a Northern accent. Just an anecdote.

My instinct for a feminine form of 'Earl' would be 'Earlen', since -ess is French. However, I admit that Arless sounds rather pretty.

Ophiucha

Auror
I'm fairly certain that the -es ending in Welsh merely was adapted from French (or English, after they adapted it from French), since more traditional Welsh feminine words don't use it. :p But prettiness and a Dragon Age reference can trump linguistics; it is just a fantasy story, not historical fiction.