• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anyone Else use TheBrain for notes?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
shwabadi
I had a look and started installing but as soon as I saw this warning...
"If you are running any anti-virus software, you may need to disable it to ensure a proper install. Some anti-virus software has been known to prevent the installation of certain features. After the installation is complete, you can re-enable your anti-virus software."
I stopped.
I haven't found a good [for me] Mind-mapping tool. I usually end up back with pen and paper...

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I'm now a devoted user of OneNote, for a couple of reasons. To begin with, if you have the Microsoft Office Suite, chances are you already own the program. That's how I found it, so it was a little like a free program because we usually buy MS Office for Word and Excel. Secondly it is extremely versatile. I cut and paste internet articles from my researches into it and it automatically plugs in the links for me. I can write regular notes, or cut and paste to and from Word. I can insert pictures and videos. We have the program synced in real time on so that my writing partner and I can both work in it and make changes from our separate, networked computers - and if we want to the program will track these changes with our initials. PLUS, it saves automatically with each and every keystroke. We're using OneNote to organize our entire series, 15 books in advanced stages of development (each book with its own notebook plus a notebook for the series as a whole), and it's more than up to the challenge.

Before I had notebooks everywhere with story notes scattered here, there and everywhere. Now, everything is available at the click of my mouse, and with my redundant backup policy I don't have to worry about losing them like I did with paper notes!

Alexandra

Closed Account
I use printed notes, pictures, and maps and a large cork link board (think Carrie Mathison from Homeland); this combination results in a visual representation of my story and its development, and it looks cool. ;)

shwabadi

Minstrel
I'm now a devoted user of OneNote, for a couple of reasons. To begin with, if you have the Microsoft Office Suite, chances are you already own the program. That's how I found it, so it was a little like a free program because we usually buy MS Office for Word and Excel. Secondly it is extremely versatile. I cut and paste internet articles from my researches into it and it automatically plugs in the links for me. I can write regular notes, or cut and paste to and from Word. I can insert pictures and videos. We have the program synced in real time on so that my writing partner and I can both work in it and make changes from our separate, networked computers - and if we want to the program will track these changes with our initials. PLUS, it saves automatically with each and every keystroke. We're using OneNote to organize our entire series, 15 books in advanced stages of development (each book with its own notebook plus a notebook for the series as a whole), and it's more than up to the challenge.

Before I had notebooks everywhere with story notes scattered here, there and everywhere. Now, everything is available at the click of my mouse, and with my redundant backup policy I don't have to worry about losing them like I did with paper notes!

That sounds pretty great! I'll have to give it a look