• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

It is a pleasure to meet you all! :)

STBURNS

Dreamer
Hello everyone!
My name is Steven and I just found this wonderful site tonight. Until a few days ago, I was just some guy who has written a two novels that only a few family members have read. Though they were encouraging, I put my novels away after much rejection from publishers. Just recently, a few unbiased readers convinced me to let them read my first novel. To my surprise, they finished it and provided enthusiastic feedback. Fantasy has always been my passion and to have these readers enjoy my story made me reconsider my writings.

So here I am, hoping to learn and exchange ideas with the wonderful people of this community. I am currently considering self publishing my fantasy novel. Will I ever be a famous author? Probably not, but touching the lives of a few fantasy readers made me feel that my story was worthy. I am open to criticism and wisdom if you are kind enough to offer it.

Here are my novels that are completed:
The Last Battle Singer of Aleanndyr First in the Brightflame Fantasy Trilogy
Evan's Boon Thriller

I hope to see on the forums. :)

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met STBURNS
Welcome to Mythic Scribes.
This is a good place to learn and share.
There will be no shortage of people with advice, support and tales of caution to aid you on your way.
Leap on in when you feel the mood come upon you...

JRFLynn

Sage
Welcome STBURNS, the fact that you finished two novels is no small feat! Don't give on publishing them :) Personally, I think every tale is worth sharing even if there are hordes of people that will disagree. After all, the soul of writing is fundamentally about sharing experiences, ideas, and fantasies. Nevermind the naysayers. Take advice with a grain of salt, use what you can to improve what you have and chuck the rest! Good luck and glad you could join us.

Last edited:

STBURNS

Dreamer
Thank you Joe, I am all about learning and listening.:)

JRFlynn, thank you for your encouragement. You summed it up nicely!:D

Welcome to the Scribes STBURNS, good to have you. I've got a good feeling about you, you have the right attitude for a writer, I hope you make good use of this gathering of minds.

STBURNS

Dreamer
Aidan of the Tavern, I thank you for your welcome. I hope to be able to be a productive member here. I am sure all of you have wonderful ideas.

Reaver, thank you! It is great to be here.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome to the Scribes! We're a fun bunch and have a little something for everyone. If you want to improve your skills, join us in the challenges. Looking for a nice place to meet friend? Join us in chat. We also have a showcase where you can post your work and get feedback, or if you prefer a more personal approach, there are several great critiquers here who are happy to trade manuscripts.

In short, we're a community that wants to help. We support each other, whether we're professionals, aspiring professionals, or hobby writers who love their craft. I'm sorry if I missed world-builders, because we have a proud bunch who love to inspire, too.

Welcome on board and hope to see you around.

STBURNS

Dreamer
Caged Maiden,
That was a very useful post! Thank you!:D
I would love for someone here to critique my book, but I have not gathered the courage yet. I did get around to hiring an independent editor. I hope to be an elgant writer someday, but I hope to be able to share my stories with people who can help me be better. I see that I came to the right place!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Three years ago, I decided it was time to think about publishing. So the first thing I did was go through a manuscript and cut every bit of sex and violence, thinking I didn't want anything controversial in my book... So I pretty much spent months putting everything back in and over the last three years have learned how to edit myself. Most of my growth is due to the people here and how much time they've spent reading for me, sharing writing tips, letting me bounce ideas off them, etc. I wouldn't be nearly as far if I'd never happened upon this forum. I'm so happy to be part of this community.

So if you want people to read, you can post short things in the showcase, but I'd recommend finding a peer with which to exchange. I've had a load of critique partners over the last two years, and I didn't get much from having really professional people read for me when I was starting out. Finding people who are where you honestly think you are, is definitely the way to go. That way, you both grow at the same time. It's also nice to crit for other people because you can start to look at your own work objectively.

So best wishes, I hope you find the things here that will strengthen your writing. This community is largely supportive and I know how hard it is to post stuff (because I still critique privately), but no one is going to point and laugh. If you're shy (like me, believe it or not), jump into conversations about writing techniques. There's a ton to learn here and a couple searches will turn up a bounty of information we've already posted. It's crazy when you look back at the amount of tips and material written here on this forum. Wow... most of us have thousands of posts.