• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Author pages

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Not sure whether this ought to be in self-promotion, but I wanted to share this info with those of you who are thinking about it.

Ankari recommended I make an author page on Facebook even though I haven't been published. He mentioned how important it is for an agent to find you have a presence, when they google your name. So... I made a page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Howitt/552886471474317

It's still brand new, so not much is there, but got eighty-something likes in a day and it inspires me to keep adding content. I'd like to attach more blogs, so if you have one, please post your link in this thread. (Or you can just go like my page and leave me a comment that you also have a blog). I appreciate all the support I can get for the page.

If you would like a review, Im happy to read your book and give you a review for your website (so I can link it in my page). Or if there's anything else I can do to help promote either MS or the writers in this community, please let me know. This is a small world and I have over 650 friends who see my personal posts. It's only a matter of time before I've converted them all to my followers... I mean asked them kindly to like my page... and I'd love to share that with all of you. I'm also doing a new website soon (separating my costume business and research site from my writing musings and stuff), so I'll be doing blogs and it would be awesome to get some guest bloggers or some links to other people's published works (like the MS ezine). So, let me know if we can mutually help each other. I'm really getting into this thing and I'm kinda liking it. I was way too intimidated over the last few months to give it a try, but now that I've got a friend emotionally supporting me, I'm cruising along.

If you haven't made an author page on facebook, I encourage you to do so because there's loads of material and links out there, you don't even have to write lengthy posts, just put up a link and a short blurb about why it's interesting. If we all link to each other, we all win... So please come like my page and leave me a message so I can like yours. I'd love to get even more involved with other people's blogs, so they can take advantage of all my other real-life writer friends. I know a lot of artists, people. Send me your blogs!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I've got an author page as well, but I'm in the same boat in that I don't have much to promote and pretty much all my "likes" are family and friends at the moment. I use it mostly to just post writing updates (which people on my regular Facebook page tend to ignore) or cool news I find floating about in fantasy. I also used to make fantasy-related memes just for the fun of it. I may take to posting some cool art I find, because pictures seem to get more attention when you don't have much to promote. I've seen several people do this.

Here's my page:

https://www.facebook.com/philipoverbyfantasy

If you want to feature my blog, I'm doing interviews, reviews, writing tips, etc. that are all fantasy based.

Philip Overby's Fantasy Free-for-All

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Phil, if you have a blog that you generate content for, why aren't you linking that content to facebook, twitter, and google+?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm not sure. I do share links if that's what you mean. I often get most of my traffic from sharing on Google+ community pages. Do you mean linking it in a different way? If so, I don't think I know how to do that on Blogger.

I liked everyone who has posted here.

:)

Mine is https://www.facebook.com/MeetPatJackson?ref=hl

I hope to see you guys there. I'm running a "virtual event" on Saturday. I hope some of you will "attend."

I should mention this is my personal kick in the pants to get some new work done since I've done nothing for months. Has anyone else done this? What was your success/shortcomings with it?

Last edited:

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
I don't have a Facebook page at the moment - I'm nervous about getting into yet another time-sucking social website, but I can see the sense in it. I don't need something to show to agents, but it will probably help if/when I self-publish. The more people I can reach the better.

C

Chessie

I'm interested in starting a Facebook author's page as well. Currently, I have a twitter account (which I love), a personal facebook, and one for my Ayurveda/Yoga business. I post on my business page once a week or usually put updates on my workshops. I also have a website for that business, and I find it all very useful. However, I would like to know what purpose it serves having an author page if I haven't published anything yet.

I deleted my blog because it was too time consuming. Facebook pages are more convenient, I think. Would some of you that have author pages share your thoughts on this? Because I can definitely see how it would be useful to have one if you're a published author...but before? :/

senseiseth

Troubadour
Hey guys, I have a new Facebook page, website, twitter account and blog and I'd love to have you guys stop on by and join up if you like them.

Here are the links:

My website

Le Twitter

Das Facebook

And the blog

Thanks guys, and I hope you enjoy them.

I try to update on a regular basis, and let your friends know, too, if you think they'll enjoy them.

I'm interested in starting a Facebook author's page as well. Currently, I have a twitter account (which I love), a personal facebook, and one for my Ayurveda/Yoga business. I post on my business page once a week or usually put updates on my workshops. I also have a website for that business, and I find it all very useful. However, I would like to know what purpose it serves having an author page if I haven't published anything yet.

I deleted my blog because it was too time consuming. Facebook pages are more convenient, I think. Would some of you that have author pages share your thoughts on this? Because I can definitely see how it would be useful to have one if you're a published author...but before? :/

I have had one for some time now. It is my understanding that if you wish to publish traditionally you must have already started the marketing framework, meaning having already built up some type of audience and have the platforms in place.

I have seen many Author pages on FB, most are just shameless self plugs, some use them to voice opinions on social matters. The best Author FB pg I have seen is Anne Rice's https://www.facebook.com/annericefanpage IMHO she is a freaking genius! She manages to use her Page to keep people engaged, when someone shares a post from her page to theirs, others see from where it came and new people are constantly finding her work this way.

I use my page to update on my goings on in relation to my book, and my blog I have found a few people from all around the world who are interested in reading should I ever manage to finish my book. I find that it has helped me understand what readers want, how to interact with people better, how to engage a wider audience with interactive hooks, it has given insight as to what time of day is most active and thus my posts are most likely to be seen which will come in handy for running promotions and special events later down the road, and prolly most importantly it has been a lot of fun. I spend maybe an hour or two on my author's pg. and blog combined. I have done events on a large scale, and I have been running word games on my page, I have a once a day post that I do. Everything of mine is linked together so a post on my blog shows up on my Fb and on twitter.

I have had conversations with Agents, Publishers, Authors, and wannabe actors, etc. because of my tweets. It is a really cool time to be alive.

I hope that helps. My A-FB PG link is in my siggy if you want to check it out.

Last edited:

Lorna

Inkling
Hi folks, I've liked your FB author's pages and am looking forward to your updates.

I don't have a FB page myself as I don't think FB gives enough space to share a detailed opinion or bring a piece of writing to a reader's full attention. When I'm on FB I tend to go into 'scan' mode, however I do slow down and read properly when I follow links to people's blogs.

If anyone's interested my blog, which features poems and articles based in local history, mythology and folklore can be found here: From Peneverdant | Enchanting the Shadowlands

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I only just found this thread! I liked everyone's pages under my own name (since I'm only one of two), and they all look very nice.

Our page is - https://www.facebook.com/aelowan

And we also have a new blog up today. - The Characters of Faerie Rising – Etienne Knight | This Blog is Terribad

I think you can actually communicate fairly effectively using FB, but they have been increasingly problematic of late. I've been trying to figure out Google+ but it's so far defying my little brain. lol

Last edited:
C

Chessie

I resurrected my Tumblr account. Its more fitting for what I'd like to do with a blog, even though Wordpress is fantastic. My Tumblr is still in its infancy, but I'll be updating it with snippets of my work: Namaste. Welcome.. :)

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
the main reason to have an author page before publishing is because when you submit your work to an agent, she will google your name and see what kind of irons you have in the fire. If you have no web site, no blog, no twitter, and no facebook, it's hard for her to make a decision about working with you. If you have a decent following on your various social networking entities, it's easier for the agent to see how many fans you have drawn all on your own and it lets her know you're the kind of person who will be a valuable partner in the marketing process.

Marketing is a struggle for self-published authors just starting out, but having a following before the books come out helps give the new releases that little push in the beginning to help make sure more readers see them right away.

IN short, is it necessary to have an author page? no. But if you can get a following of fans and show that you post regularly and take your social networking seriously, you are showing you have the sort of positive mind-frame that makes a person easier to work with and that you have the tenacity and drive to get things done. All those qualities are good things to an agent.