• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dovahzul practice (Skyrim players who know Dovahzul)

Drem yol lok, dii fahdonne! (Hello, my friends!)

I recently got into Skyrim and shortly after the scene in which Alduin revives Sahloknir, they began speaking in Dovahzul, the Dragon Tongue. After that scene, (and after being tormented by Alduin with "Dragonborn, you do not understand our tongue. How pathetic."), I decided to take up study in Dovahzul.

After quite some time of study, I decided to practice my skill in translating songs before I went into full-on-writing or speaking. If there are any people who know Dovahzul, please keep in touch with me. I'll even speak to you in Dovahzul.

The current translation I have is the song "My songs know what you did in the dark", by Fall Out Boy. (First song I could think of to easily translate.) I am not putting it in the written language, just the romanized version.

I did have to change the wording of the song in order to properly translate the song. For example, "Kos ulaakei voth imziktaas hindde ko vul, vul" is the translation for "Be careful making wishes in the dark, dark", but I added "voth", which means "with" so it makes more sense when translated. So that way, it comes out as "Be careful with making wishes in the dark, dark"

Another change is with "Details with the Devil", which I translated as "Zu’u ko lahvu do zaunig ", meaning "I'm in the army of the devil". Small changes like that.

Dovahzul Lyrics

Kos ulaakei voth imziktaas hindde ko vul, vul
Hi kosaak edahraal fod nust vek niist miir.
Ahrk areid ko seik tiid, zu’u zeyda
Hahnutaas do vaaztaas hi oraan.

Zu’u ko lahvu do zaunig
Ful lein vis neh gaav nau eytaagi.
Zu’u zeyda kend stin hi nol kaask. Zu’u los rahgol do goraan lokalin.
Praagiin zov geyol.

Dii lovaassel mindok fos hi drey ko vul.

Ful ag niin (—iin, -iin)
Ag niin (—iin —iin)
Ag niin (—iin —iin)
(Zu’u nau yol!)

Ful ag niin (—iin, -iin)
Ag niin (—iin —iin)
Ag niin (—iin —iin)
(Zu’u nau yol!)

(Ko faal Vul, Vul) 2x

Eyvir fin peliikke dein peltaas fos nust pel, pel.
Ahstaad aanvorey qiib sostrah zeyda drey dir.
Zu’u lost skein nol dirsul ahrk zu’u hind hi vust koraav
Tol hi los voviidost fah pah namas fah zey.

Filsiin do luvve nau hin kaatozze.
Ag pah hi lokal ahrk ag kiihe.
Ko oblaan, pah drey kesat. Diir kiirmaari
Drey shik riil tol hi koraav.

Dii lovaassel mindok fos hi drey ko vul.

Ful ag niin (—iin, -iin)
Ag niin (—iin —iin)
Ag niin (—iin —iin)
(Zu’u nau yol!)

Ful ag niin (—iin, -iin)
Ag niin (—iin —iin)
Ag niin (—iin —iin)
(Zu’u nau yol!)

(Ko faal Vul, Vul) 2x

Dii lovaassel mindok fos hi drey ko vul. (2x)

Ful ag niin (—iin, -iin)
Ag niin (—iin —iin)
Ag niin (—iin —iin)
(Zu’u nau yol!)

Ful ag niin (—iin, -iin)
Ag niin (—iin —iin)
Ag niin (—iin —iin)
(Zu’u nau yol!)

(Ko faal Vul, Vul) 2x

Translation

Be careful making wishes in the dark, dark
Can't be sure when they've hit their mark
And besides in the mean, mean time
I'm just dreaming of tearing you apart

I'm in the details with the devil
So now the world can never get me on my level
I just gotta get you off the cage
I'm a young lover's rage
Gonna need a spark to ignite

My songs know what you did in the dark

So light 'em up, up, up
Light 'em up, up, up
Light 'em up, up, up
I'm on fire

So light 'em up, up, up
Light 'em up, up, up
Light 'em up, up, up
I'm on fire

In the dark, dark. (2x)

Well, the writers keep writing what they write
Somewhere another pretty vein just dies
I've got the scars from tomorrow and I wish you could see
That you’re the antidote to everything except for me, me

A constellation of tears on your lashes
Burn everything you love, then burn the ashes
In the end everything collides
My childhood spat back out the monster that you see

My songs know what you did in the dark

So light 'em up, up, up
Light 'em up, up, up
Light 'em up, up, up
I'm on fire

So light 'em up, up, up
Light 'em up, up, up
Light 'em up, up, up
I'm on fire

In the dark, dark. (2x)

My songs know what you did in the dark (2x)

So light 'em up, up, up
Light 'em up, up, up
Light 'em up, up, up
I'm on fire

So light 'em up, up, up
Light 'em up, up, up
Light 'em up, up, up
I'm on fire

In the dark, dark. (2x)

If anyone can help me practice, that would be great.

Thanks. Pogaan kogaan.

Mindfire

Istar
Um... I don't think there is a full language for Dovahzul. As far as I can tell, it's never appeared in any Elder Scrolls game before Skyrim and there aren't enough materials in Skyrim or elsewhere to construct a full language unless someone fleshed it out on their own. Where exactly are you getting your materials?

Last edited:
Um... I don't think there is a full language for Dovahzul. As far as I can tell, it's never appeared in any Elder Scrolls game before Skyrim and there aren't enough materials in Skyrim or elsewhere to construct a full language unless someone fleshed it out on their own. Where exactly are you getting your materials?

Most of what I used is from Thu'um.org, which includes both Canon (native to the Skyrim game) and non-Canon (made outside the game). The above translation mostly includes Canon form, but there are parts that are non-canon.

I was originally going to stick with Canon and using strictly native words, but, as you know, there are not enough words. That's why I'm using both types.

Twylite Fang

Drem Yol Ond, fron do Strun. < I'm not going to bother translating that to Cyrodiilic xD You will understand it I'm sure.

I'm unable to send you a message on facebook, dii braan Dovahkiin. I am planning to eventually learn the entirety of faal Dovah tinvok. But I am learning slowly. dii vahrukt los ni pruzaan gah. Krosis. I am working on my vahrukt, though, and have managed to learn some rot. As you can see, I am speaking as Paarthurnax does to the Last Dovahkiin, half in Cyrodiilic and half in Dovahzul. I plan to learn the full tinvok in tiid, but it takes a lingrah tiid. but I will master faal Strah do faal Lovaas, the Way of the Voice. As the Greybeards, following the teachings of Jurgen Windcaller do, I will learn to master my Thu'um, and we shall converse in Dovahzul.

~Twylite Fang

Love that song. Try translating the song, Radioactive by Imagine Dragons. it should be easy but it could be difficult translating some of the words but i think you can do it.

WooHooMan

Auror
Interesting factoid about the dragon language: there is no verb tense. You kind of got to ignore time when you translate. Considering the dragon's relationship to Auri-el/ Akatosh/Alduin/time, it makes sense.

I also want to point out that Thu'um is Nord magic. It and the dragon language are different things.

Personally, I'd rather learn about the Dwemer language. Their shout magic was without a doubt the most powerful. And apparently, every single word translated to "no".