• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

[Reading Group] March 2014: His Majesty's Dragon Discussion

ACSmyth

Minstrel
1. Have you read Novik's work before? What do you think of it?
No. Nothing.

2. What are your expectations of this book? (for those who haven't read it)
I'm hopeful I'll enjoy it. I bought it because it was recommended as part of a discussion I had online somewhere. I can't remember where (maybe Google+) and I can't remember the topic (although clearly fantasy novels) and it sounded like something I'd like. It's been in my TBR for probably a year now, and I just haven't got around to reading it yet.

3. If this was your choice for this month, why did you chose it?
I didn't vote, but I'd have voted for this, purely because I had it already. I'm trying to dent my TBR books before buying too many new ones.

Steerpike

Felis amatus

Yes. This same book, in fact. I didn't finish it, and didn't think it was very well-written.

They were low, since I'd started it before and not finished. Usually that means I found the book not to be very well done. I'll read anything of any genre, so it is rarely a character or story issue since I'm open to anything along those lines. I'm currently about 90 ereader-pages into the re-read. I can see why I never finished it, so my take on March's choice may be different from others.

It was not :D

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Steerpike: do you think you'll attempt to finish the book this time even if you didn't like it before? I've found books I had trouble with early on (Gardens of the Moon stands out in my mind) actually ended up being one of my favorite books.

If you had trouble finishing it before, without spoiling anything, what was the difficulty? I'm curious about this book's discussion because I get the feeling some of us are more excited about it than others. I think this is actually a good thing in some ways so we're not all agreeing with each other the whole time.

I had no preconceived notions of the story, so I have no expectations really. I was the one that nominated this book, but it was mostly because I overheard some good things about it in the past.

I actually did a book club with Wizard of Earthsea and couldn't get through it. Not that the book was bad or anything, it just wasn't the style I was used to so I struggled with it. I hope with this group people can get through the books so we can talk about not only how if we were entertained, but if we learned anything as writers from the story (something I want to bring up about Prince of Thorns as well).

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'm definitely going to finish it, for the book club. The difficulty before is the same as this time - the writing is pretty bad. That's usually the only thing that will flat out stop me reading a book. I don't want to color your perceptions of it before you've had a chance to view it with fresh eyes. You may well disagree with me. But I just think the book is poorly executed. In theory, it is something I'd like. People make comparisons to Patrick O'Brian, who I like, and then you throw in dragons! Sounds cool, right? Well, it should have been :)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I think this will be a good book to analyze not only from a reader perspective, but a writer perspective also then because if there are mixed opinions on this, it'll prove to be a more interesting discussion. I felt like most of the group liked Prince of Thorns on one level or another, even if they weren't enthralled by it. So I'm interested to see how this one goes if we have some readers who outright don't like it.

Gryphos

Auror

Nope.

I'm expecting something in the vein of Master & Commander with dragons, with political dialogue and interesting battles.

I personally was just intrigued by the concept of an alternate reality story set during the Napoleonic Wars, with dragons.

Ophiucha

Auror
1. Yes, and I generally like it. I like the setting, I like the characters. There are certainly some faults - particularly in later books once the series develops a bit of a 'formula', but at least the worldbuilding and the relationship between the two main characters remains entertaining.

3. Naomi Novik is a pretty cool lady (I've met her :p), part of that current wave of late 30s/early 40s New York women getting into fantasy writing from more geeky roots (used to work on video games, used to write fanfiction). But she's just about the only one in that group isn't just writing YA. Also, I already own the book, so...

Maybe those can start us off. Looking forward to starting myself!

1. No, this is a new author for me.

2. I'll be comparing this one to Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell, another magical alt-history of the Napoleanic wars (with the best footnotes ever), whether I want to or not! But it'll be fun to see the differences.

3. N/A

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
Nope, new author for me.

Don't really have any; hoping I'll enjoy it, but that's about it. Curious, I suppose.

Wouldn't have been my first choice (not my preferred time-era) but I'm generally content to read anything recommended to me. Broadening my horizons and all that. :)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
So I'd like to give some "first five pages" (well, actually 20 page or so) kind of thoughts since I feel like I'm going to find this read significantly slower for me than Prince of Thorns. I hate to compare the two, but I guess it's inevitable since we just came off reading a more quick paced book.

So far, I can't say I've been really hooked. I like the idea of discovering a dragon's egg, but the characters haven't really jumped out to me as of yet. I'm assuming Laurence is going to be one of our main characters, but I don't know, he just seems kind of flat so far. It's probably going to take me a while to get into this book I feel, but hopefully it will pay off the further in I get since I do think this is an awesome concept (the reason I picked the book in the first place).

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I'm with you on the writing style. I'm attributing it to the character and setting. Laurence is British, and the pacing/grammar/word usage feels very British. It seems to complement the character very well.

I'm thrown off by the way dragons work. A dragon knows English when they first hatch? English? Really?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'm with you on the writing style. I'm attributing it to the character and setting. Laurence is British, and the pacing/grammar/word usage feels very British. It seems to complement the character very well.

I'm thrown off by the way dragons work. A dragon knows English when they first hatch? English? Really?

Yeah, and the language makes less sense when you learn more about the dragon. I think Novik is trying to emulate a certain writing style but can't quite pull it off.

Gryphos

Auror
Yeah, the dragon speaking english right out of the egg threw me too. Maybe there's some kind of explanation to it, but I can't think of any. I mean, I've read a few chapters in and therefore know Temeraire's breed, and it really does make so little sense that he would speak english.

With regards to Laurence's 'flatness', I would put that down to the setting more than anything. Being in command positions, all the main characters are forced into that formal tone whenever they interact with each other. And it is early days after all. I would assume that characters will grow on the reader as they progress a bit further than the first few chapters.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, the dragon speaking english right out of the egg threw me too. Maybe there's some kind of explanation to it, but I can't think of any. I mean, I've read a few chapters in and therefore know Temeraire's breed, and it really does make so little sense that he would speak english.

With regards to Laurence's 'flatness', I would put that down to the setting more than anything. Being in command positions, all the main characters are forced into that formal tone whenever they interact with each other. And it is early days after all. I would assume that characters will grow on the reader as they progress a bit further than the first few chapters.

As I'm finishing up the first chapter, I do find Laurence to be a bit more interesting, mostly because of his relationship with the dragon (which I'm going to have a hard time remembering how to spell his name every time). The dragon hatching definitely woke up the story for me so far, but I'd say if I just read the sample of this, I may have put it aside up to this point. However, I do realize this is an older book, so I don't think every book needs to be "wham, pow, boom" right from the gate. I do think that tends to be a more recent development with reader expectations. So I'm fine with a slow burn if it pays off in some way.

ACSmyth

Minstrel
I'm enjoying this one a lot. I didn't even question the dragon speaking English, but then I think I just mentally went back to Pern with telepathic dragons and assumed it was something of that nature.

And I'm not finding the style problematic, either, but (a) I'm British, and (b) I grew up reading a lot of classics, so maybe I've just slotted naturally back into that style?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I read a lot of classics, and indeed a lot of British novels, and have no problem with the style itself. I see what Novik is try to do with it, but I think she just misses the mark. I'm well into Part II and Laurence is still flat - if he left the story I wouldn't miss him. I like Temeraire, though. There have been places where the book shows promise, but on the whole the writing has remained rather dull and maintained a distance from the story. You can do that sort of thing successfully, but you have to be a much better writer, in my opinion.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, I agree it doesn't have anything to do with the British style for me. Some of my favorite authors are British: (Abercrombie, Mieville, etc.) I kind of agree with Steerpike in that the writing seems distant in some way. I can't quite put my finger on it as of yet. I do like Temeraire so far. The way he moves, talks, etc. is kind of interesting for me to see. And I guess that's one reason I picked this one anyway is for the dragon.

For those who enjoy Laurence so far, can you pinpoint why? I want to like him, but I guess I'm just waiting for him to grow on me (which some characters just take longer than others).

I agree. Plus everything I know about Laurence, I know only because the author told me. Laurence lists the things he misses from his life on land--opera, dining with good company, the girl he left behind--but since I've never seen him actively engaged with those things or that girl, they don't seem real or important. So I don't care when he stands to lose them for good.

I'm not sure what the solution to that problem is. I understand why the author started the story with the end of the naval battle and the discovery of the egg. Yet I think some glimpse of that life on land would have helped me sympathize more with Laurence.

As for the dragon speaking English straight out of the egg--I don't get it either. Maybe he learned it really fast via osmosis from the men on the ship . . . but that bit of world building didn't do anything for me.

I love the idea behind this book--mixing dragon riders with the Napoleonic Wars--but so far I don't think the book lives up to its potential.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I'm only about twenty-five pages into the book. If it weren't for the reading group I probably wouldn't have purchased the book beyond the sample. It's okay, but it doesn't blow me away. Even twenty-five pages in, I feel the author has skimmed over many explanations and descriptives that could strengthen the story.

It's early, yet I have very little idea of who is who on that ship. So far, it could be Laurence and five other identical characters carrying out hois orders and disciplining deck hands. Very little characterization...which is huge for me.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Well, this does not seem a popular choice so far but I'm still going with it. I feel like this can be a good book for discussion though because it may help reinforce our own ideas about what works and does not work for us.