• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

SeverinR

Vala
So to honor Mother nature, lets let her know how we appriciate her with a paraphrased work:
"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advise, pull down your pants and slide on the ice,' so mother natural can kiss our cold chapped arses,"

taiwwa

Scribe
Random thought: I looked at my copy of Harold Bloom's "The Closing of the American Mind" on my bookshelf, and I thought that that specific line of academic pessimism is racist, at heart. It relies heavily on arbitrary authority, that of the professor and his thoughts on the lines of poetry, and deep down it is a reaction against multi-culturalism.

Random thought:

Do not under any circumstances write about vomiting, vomit, or the smell of vomit when you do not feel well.
It tends to make that action a reality.
:eeeew!:

Jabrosky

Banned
I'm in an incensed mood as I type this. On another message board I used to visit every now and then, we had a thread on Black History Month, and I got into a correspondence with certain posters who said early African history wasn't worth studying and that traditional African peoples were "barbarous tribes". And this wasn't even the first time I've seen this kind of latent Eurocentric racism on that forum. In the end I chose to log out and put the site on my browser's block list.

taiwwa

Scribe
I'm in an incensed mood as I type this. On another message board I used to visit every now and then, we had a thread on Black History Month, and I got into a correspondence with certain posters who said early African history wasn't worth studying and that traditional African peoples were "barbarous tribes". And this wasn't even the first time I've seen this kind of latent Eurocentric racism on that forum. In the end I chose to log out and put the site on my browser's block list.

if I might ask, where is this place?

Jabrosky

Banned
if I might ask, where is this place?
I don't want to cause a forum war, and the particular message board I speak of requires membership in order to lurk there, but I will say it was the "outside discussions" section of a longstanding and popular forum for a gaming website.

taiwwa

Scribe
Well, I will say that fantasy does have...severe race problems built into it, inherently. Given that so much of it revolves around dehumanized humanoids (orcs) and murdering every last one of them...

How to clean your house in 15 mins.

I hate cleaning, I love my family and friends, but for the most part they are pigs when they come for a visit. I spend countless hours scrubbing various surfaces until I am overcome by fumes being emitted from the various cleaning products I use.

On top of this Mickey is still ruining things faster than a wrecking ball could possibly accomplish.

So I sat down and tried to find a faster way to get the job done.

After much thought and internal debate, I have figured it out and I'm here to share it with you!

First you will need a bag of rags, and some boxes.

Step one: Pack anything you want to keep

Step two: Soak rags in lighter fluid.

Step three Remove all people and valuables, pets, etc. that you want to keep

Step four Light the rags after spreading them throughout the home.

Step five, hit on the hot firemen as they show up to douse the conflagration you have created.

Optional - Take graham crackers, marshmallows, a long stick and a chocolate bar and make smores while you wait.

No really it works! Your house will be spotless from then on. :)

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Found a dollar bookstore in Southern Cal, not too far from home. Got Brent Week's "Way of Shadows", a Jim Butcher "Dresden Files" book, & Donaldson's complete "Thomas Covenant" series for $5.

Definitely going back for a longer search.

buyjupiter

Maester
Why are my shoes wet? The shower hasn't leaked onto the floor yet today...but the floor is covered in water...oh, maybe that grinding, clanking sound late last night warranted further investigation.

On the bright side of things, the bathroom did need mopping. That just wasn't how I planned on doing it. :)

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that Jupiter. This weather has been crazy up here in the north and even further south, people's pipes are bursting all over the place. I hope your situation is not nearly that serious. Silver lining - the floor is clean! :D

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Has anyone written a story wherein the "virgin sacrifice" cliche is played with by having the virgin in question sacrifice her virginity instead of her life?

Hmm,

I seem to recall a TV show years ago that hinted that it was done during the civil war to distract the general in order to gain ground and meet up with reinforcements outside of town.

It was interesting. The "lady" was hailed a hero until modern times where she was relegated to the ranks of a whore, or lady of the night if you prefer. Gotta love how history can change like that.

Jabrosky

Banned
After a long writing slump, I just finished the first draft of a 2,000-word short. It always feels good to get shorts finished.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
Deadlines are not negotiable.
He'd crossed the line, and now it was dead, as was the night, and he'd soon be too. He dangled the phone from its cut extension cord, no more grace period for that writer's career of his. It would rest in pieces, there was just no point in negotiating over dead lines.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
Has anyone written a story wherein the "virgin sacrifice" cliche is played with by having the virgin in question sacrifice her virginity instead of her life?

I think Blue Lotus' answer hints at why we might not see too many stories take that path... it crosses over into no-no-land for too many modern people.

SeverinR

Vala
tried to post this yesterday, Thought I posted it already in here, but didn't find it.

"Big words should be taken in slowly, enjoyed, fully digested so they flow out easily,
Not gobbled up quickly to be coughed up like a hairball."
SeverinR's deviantART Gallery