• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Assasin's Creed Question

Darkblade

Troubadour
Through general internet osmosis I've heard bits and pieces about the storyline from the Assassin's Creed series and I must say that it sounds intriguing.

Unfortunately I do not have a modern (or one generation removed from modern even) console capable of playing any of the games and purchasing one just for a couple of games seems like a waste of money.

So my question is as follows. To best experience the story of the series would I be better off reading the novelizations or watching Let's Plays of it on youtube?

Personally I read the novels and I didn't enjoy them as much as I enjoyed playing the game. The books also didn't have that much extra information that you wouldn't have learned while playing the game or watching the short films. Just worry about finding a good let's player. I came across one a long time ago on youtube but I can't remember their name. I can try looking them up but I don't promise anything cause its been way too many years.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
you know... I'm pretty obsessed with Assassin's Creed II. I never played the first one and only bought the second because I love Renaissance Venice so much. My WIP is what I call "Dangerous Beauty" (about Veronica Franco, a Venetian courtesan) meets Assassin's Creed II. The thing I loved so much about the game was the rich world. The architecture is amazing, so for me... I'd miss the visuals.

The story line is marginally good if you ask me, actually. The game play is better. I guess that's the history buff in me getting a little irritated at inaccuracies though.

My fencing armor is Ezio's doublet which I designed off the Hot Toys doll and I even bought the knife from Museum Replicas. NOt that it's awesome, but you can't find them often.

I bought AC3 but in the opening sequence a character says, "You have Altair's knowledge and Ezio's skills...." and I pushed power because I'd never played the first one and didn't have Altair's knowledge. SO I bought that one and began playing it but the game play was rather redundant and the plot was a touch boring. So.. I might go back to them one of these days when I get more time. I'd watch the game if you're interested in ACII because the visuals are by far the best part.

Ophiucha

Auror
I'd watch them, the novelizations aren't particularly well written (from what I've read of them; I never could finish any of them) and leave out a lot of the story. Plus, the best part of the first two games is the visuals.

Reaver

Staff
AC 1 is good, II, Brotherhood and Revelations (aka the Ezio Trilogy) are awesome. AC 3 sucks and I haven't played Black Flag though I hear good things.

You could probably find a decent PS3 and the AC games on ebay, Craigslist or a pawn shop for a fair price. The Ezio trilogy is worth owning just for the gameplay and the visuals. Like Caged Maiden said, they are stunning.

Last edited:

Smith

Minstrel
Fourthing the recommendation of the visuals. I've never watched a lets play for AC, but stopping to just stare around at the beautiful world (primarily of ACII, but also AC4) every so often is a crucial part of the experience in my opinion. I've played all of them, but I played ACII (like Caged Maiden, for the Renaissance setting) before I played the first game and the first game was completely ruined for me as a result, it's much slower, shorter, clunkier and the plot is much less detailed and rewarding.

Like everyone else has said, Ezio's sequence is the absolute pinnacle of the series, but I did enjoy AC3 a lot, too - the setting isn't as stunning, but I really connected with Connor. AC4 is just a barrel of honest rollicking fun, but it's definitely a game you'd want to play and not watch.

Last edited:

Darkblade

Troubadour
Buying a console is definitely not an option so I guess I'll start by looking for a good LP of the second game. Thank you all for your advice.