• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Junsedov (King of Dragons) Culture set-up

Hey guys, I'm sure you might be tired of me talking about my new novel "The Night and Day", but the storyline just got more complicated. I decided to add a storyline (mainly towards the end) about the Junsedov, the divine King of Dragons. (pronounced "zhoon-seh-dohv".) The storyline will be mainly featured in the novel afterwards called (you guessed it) "The Alchemist and the Junsedov".

The back story, so far, is close to this. In the beginning of modern history, the Templarians, or Gods, rose from the dark chaos of their wars. Another, more mechanical-based race, came before, called the Semigonians, who were destroyed in a civil war similar to what the Templarians are currently going through.

Then there's one more race that came WAY before the Semigonians, the original race; the Dragons, or more specifically, the Dov. (There are many races of dragon, the Dov are the ones estimated to have direct ancestry to the modern Templarians. Other races came after the Templarians.)

Because of their long existence and rule, the Dov are considered to be the original, supreme gods.

The Dov are dragons that base their status based off of a combination of three things; physical strength, magical power, and wisdom. They are ruled by the strongest, and wisest of their race; the Junsedov, the King of Dragons. (Specifically, the King of the Dov.) In order to become Junsedov, one must defeat the current King in fair combat, displaying strength and skill, and kill the current King. The Successor, or Pruntaasiik, is then garbed in the scales of the past King and declared Junsedov in an elaborate ceremony that doubles as a funeral for the past King called the Coronation ceremony.

Here's a brief history of the Dov. The Dov were the guardians of the Voids between Realms and were vicious, uncivilized creatures. It was said that they have the power to tear Realms apart, just with their desires. A Dov's power comes from their natural desires that they project into the world by roaring. (similar to a Thu'um in Skyrim, which is where most of the inspiration came from. Except, these Dov do not speak to use their power. Their roars shatter Reality and make it form to their desires.)

The Dov were feared by every lower race for their power, for they had little control of it. It wasn't until the dragon Kahdu'ulthur came along that the Dov began to learn to control their power. Kahdu'ulthur began using his powers at a young age and searched for a way to control it. Eventually, he found that concentrating using meditation to take command of his desires allowed him to greatly control the outcome of his magic and even control how and when he can use it. He began teaching this technique to other Dov and they declared him their wisest and called him Kriishaar, or High Priest. Eventually, he trained to be the strongest and later named king, Junsedov.

After that, not much is known. However, he is the first, and only Junsedov to die of age, rather than in battle. Shortly after death, most Dov became feral once more. Then, the dragon Goldwiinthaarn, an apprentice to Kahdu'ulthur, claimed himself Junsedov. At this, many Dov became upset with Goldwiinthaarn and while still in mourning of Kahdu'ulthur, they left the clan and made their own civilizations, creating the Semigonians, who in turn created the Templarians in their war.

Here's the royal line of Junsedov. The names on the left are past Kings, while the ones on the right are the Pruntaasiikke, the Successors.

Goldwiinthaarn ---> Sotqalos
Sotqalos ---> Alunslaad
Alunslaad (killed by assassins for his terrible rule) ---> Reythstrunslen
Reythstrunslen ---> Bromaaruth
Bromaaruth (murdered for throne) ---> Vokunpaal
Vokunpaal (died days after Coronation by unknown causes) ---> Malgravuun
Malgravuun (died of old age) ---> Miinpruzah
Miinpruzah (gave up throne and retired) ---> Kriidaankrent
Kriidaankrent ---> Arylos

Yes, in the Night and Day, Kriidaankrent accidentally comes across Arylos and attacks him, because Arylos is a demon with a dragon soul and a human body. It confused Kriidaankrent. Arylos kills Kriidaankrent in defense and is suddenly crowned Junsedov. That's the new twist.

As you can also see, the Dov really are not a steady race, but they are known to be the most stable civilization, simply because the corruption in the throne of Junsedov in the past were simply because the throne can be gained in battle, and the Dov love to fight each other for fun, sometimes it ends up accidentally fatal.

This is how it is set up so far, and I want your input. I also would like to design the Coronation ceremony, when the past Junsedov is mourned and the new Junsedov is crowned. Any ideas? (remember, these are dragons who appreciate power so I hope that helps out)

Thanks a lot and sorry for the length.

Literally the first thing that came to mind was Skyrim.

Now, That's not exactly a bad thing, but I (personally) would change 'Dov' to something longer, or far different in pronunciation. It seems far too similar to 'Dovah'.

Otherwise, I really like it.

nightbug08

Dreamer
Yeah too skyrim. HOWEVER other than that it seems like a workable setup. When you say cloaked in the scales of the former king, do you mean that they skin him or something, or is it a set of ceremonial armor or robes? Depending on that it'll change the ceremony and society of the dragons A LOT. Although since you say one retired I don't think they skin the old king. . . .

I'm picturing a great big set of robes or mantle type thing actually, how akward would that be, they're trying to crown this little human wit a set of robes that are basically a circus tent.

Yeah too skyrim. HOWEVER other than that it seems like a workable setup. When you say cloaked in the scales of the former king, do you mean that they skin him or something, or is it a set of ceremonial armor or robes? Depending on that it'll change the ceremony and society of the dragons A LOT. Although since you say one retired I don't think they skin the old king. . . .

I'm picturing a great big set of robes or mantle type thing actually, how akward would that be, they're trying to crown this little human wit a set of robes that are basically a circus tent.

Yeah, I've been putting my head in Skyrim a lot recently. (even learned the Dragon Tongue)

But yes, they would remove the hide from the recent king and bury his bones in an elaborate temple and turn the scales of the King into a robe/armor for the new king. (similar to Dragon Bone armor, but not quite. A little more on the "fabulous and grandeur" or "pomp and circumstance". It still functions like armor though.)

And the story to the King who retired, Miinpruzah; I basically wanted a King to still be alive for Arylos to learn from and to keep as an adviser. Basically, Miinpruzah ruled during the Semigonian War and he became upset with the war on how the Semigonians left them to be more "perfect than the beasts of the Voids" and they themselves began killing each other on the definition of "perfect". (the word "Miinpruzah" actually means "Eye of Good")

So in short, Miinpruzah left the throne in his own anger, making him the only King that was not killed, nor skinned. (Kahdu'ulthur doesn't count because he died of age, and living in Voids that lack time, time is seen as an enemy, and Kahdu'ulthur was in fact skinned.) The next King, Kriidaankrent, was basically given a crown of a horn that broke off of Miinpruzah in battle.

I have to say these names scream Elder Scrolls.

I actually used the same three syllable pattern of the Dragon names in Skyrim;
Kah-du'ul-thur
Gold-wiin-thaarn
Al-un-slaad
Reyth-strun-slen
A-ri-los
ect.

Last edited:

nightbug08

Dreamer
I was thinking that you'd have to change how they sounded to be honest, people will think you're just using skyrim for all your names not coming up with your own. Several of your syllables are lifter directly from skyrim even; Dov, Stren, Slaan, Paal. Ther three syllables aren't that much of a problem and it's a nice nod to Skyrim, which is a really big contributor to what we think about dragons right now, but taking the syllables direct is not kosher.

However now that I know that they actually skin the old king we have some interesting options open to us; do they do while he's still alive? Might they eat him after as a way of giving his strength back to the dragons? Might the new king have to do it himself, as a test/confirmation of his proper kingness? What are they going to do with all that extra skin since their new king is waaay tiny compared to them?

I was thinking that you'd have to change how they sounded to be honest, people will think you're just using skyrim for all your names not coming up with your own. Several of your syllables are lifter directly from skyrim even; Dov, Stren, Slaan, Paal. Ther three syllables aren't that much of a problem and it's a nice nod to Skyrim, which is a really big contributor to what we think about dragons right now, but taking the syllables direct is not kosher.

However now that I know that they actually skin the old king we have some interesting options open to us; do they do while he's still alive? Might they eat him after as a way of giving his strength back to the dragons? Might the new king have to do it himself, as a test/confirmation of his proper kingness? What are they going to do with all that extra skin since their new king is waaay tiny compared to them?

I could probably change the syllables. I'm planning on the Dragons on using a language similar to Dovahzul so until I make a language for them, I'm using those names so I can translate them into the new language.

I also found a replacement for "Dov", at least I think. I think I can use the Welsh word for Dragon which is "nreig", which I can change to "raig". The Kings title can be changed to "Junseraig" and they refer to each other as a member of the "Raig". (During this, I also found that it's similar to "Reich".)

Mainly, the King is already dead at the time and the priests closest to the King removes his flesh, since his hide is considered holy and can be made impure if touched by the impure. (The Pruntaasik is considered impure until he is crowned) The Pruntassik has already proven himself by killing the previous King, therefore, all he waits for is the priests to prepare the body. That's what I have in mind at least.

nightbug08

Dreamer
Well Raig is cool sounding, props there.

Is the kings hide holy before he dies? and if it is wouldn't challenging the king be sacrilege?

Well Raig is cool sounding, props there.

Is the kings hide holy before he dies? and if it is wouldn't challenging the king be sacrilege?

I'm trying.

It's not that his hide is holy; they garb the new King in the flesh of the past one as a sign that he defeated the past King. The Raig (I'll experiment and see if it sticks) mainly identify each other not only by name, but by skin type, and voice volume and pitch. When they see the garb, they will identify it as the skin of their King.

So basically, it's a trophy to prove death.

OK, I have most of everything set up. I just need the language for the Reig and what lore would be behind them. I have it permanent that they are the Guardians of the Voids and the first Gods, even the Templarians came from the Reig. They are feared, and mysterious. They hid themselves so well, that no one, other than those on Earth, realized that they were dragons.

I'll start another thread on both the language of the Reig and their culture. They've captured my attention so much recently because they are a new race that I decided to add midway into my series so I have to build them and tailor them perfectly. (I do this with each race I add in any series)