• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Allusions in your fantasy

Just thought of this off the top of my head, but have you ever put in allusions in your fantasy (set in a different world, not Urban fantasy because how could you not)? I'm especially curious as to whether you might include a reference (not overtly, but subtly) to pop culture or another fantasy work. For instance, my brother and I love the show supernatural, and I was thinking of writing a short story (or minor part of a novel) one day in the future with a similar theme as the episode "Hammer of the Gods" where the MC's are trapped in a hotel with mythological gods. Any thoughts on the topic, and what allusions have you used in your writing, if any?

myrddin173

Maester
Well so far in my NaNo Novel I have made two allusions. In one the mother of my MC is deriding a particular herbalist saying, "He couldn't even tell me the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane," almost exactly what Snape asks Harry in his first Potions lesson. (No its not an error, they are the same thing but the herbalist doesn't know that). Then I made a reference to an incident with a badger. Near the beginning of The Eye of the World Mat has captured a badger he is planning on releasing on the green during the festival. Subtle, no one would besides me would make the connection, but I like it.

There's a subtle reference to Tyrion Lannister in my novel. You'd have to have actually read Game of Thrones to notice it. (Watching the show wouldn't help. ;-))

I have a couple of Warhammer 40k allusions in my work in progress. First, when two characters are discussing battle cries they consider "FOR THE EMPEROR!" before deciding that it sounds as though its been done. Later, there is casual mention of a band of winged humanoid mercenaries called the Blood Ravens.

The Chronicles of Narnia include many allusions, mostly in reference to threads of Christianity. The Lord of the Rings is heavy in political jargon and even contains some Oxford-styled allusions to certain intellectuals, political movements, and more. Most authors include, to some extent, one allusion or another in their worlds....it might be friends, family, geography, etc.

In my own novel, I have many allusions to various degrees of importance or relevance. Some might be visible to the public while others are odes to good friends or important personal historic events. I've alluded to favorite authors, paid homage to my favorite conventions in our genre, and slipped in a few other easter eggs here and there.

In my first completed novel draft, I had a few allusions. I think it's sort of a fun way to do a little wink at the reader. I had one that was a reference to Harry Potter that I probably wouldn't have gotten away with because one character was describing how they keep humans away from this certain area, and the human girl mutters "Repello muggletum." It's urban fantasy set in "this" world, so she could7 have read HP, but from what I've heard of Rowling and her copyright crazies I wouldn't have been able to actually include it without getting sued. Too bad, because I would have used it as a sign of respect.
I had another one where a dragon says vampires are basically melodramatic pansies (Twilight). That one is vague enough to stay if I can help it. :)

IMHO, copying isn't *really* copying if it's an on-purpose nod to an author you respect, and it's VERY short. For example, in my first ever attempt at a story, I included a sliver of a scene similar to one Tad Williams wrote in one of his Shadowmarch books where a character wakes up, sees a mouse an inch or two from their nose, and thinks it's a monster. That was definitely homage, because I lovelovelove Tad Williams and find inspiration in his work. However, I think it's different and short enough not to be called plagiarism, and the stories are nothing alike. Because holy cow, if I could come up with plots as twisty as his, I'd already be famous. ;)

ETA: I think it's even more fun when you can find a place to slip in an inside joke that no one will get but your family/friends, if you can do it naturally.