• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you do when your writer's vision is corrupted?

srebak

Troubadour
To put it simply; what do you do when you have an idea for a story, visualize it many times and then find that it's started to change in your thoughts, and not in a good way?

I'm not sure if it counts, but: Example:

There are three different TV shows that i like, which each aired on three different Television channels. I found that that had a lot in common, so, naturally, i wanted them to cross over, and in one idea, that involved an inter-dimensional being with reality-warping powers bringing a large number of the characters from all three shows to a pocket dimension, where he would then use his powers to show them a recap of each show. The idea was for the characters of each show to have a "Ghost of Christmas Past" look at their adventures and have "Look back on this and laugh" moments. But my mind continuously finds new ways for the characters to say or do things that make them look bad/stupid, and that just disturbs me, especially since the whole point was for these characters to look like heroes.

Personally I ask myself three things.
1) Am I over thinking this to the point of becoming bored?
2) Do I know the characters as well as I think I do?
3) Am I writing a fan fiction?

If you say yes to the first one, come back and work on it later because that is your problem right there.

If you are not sure about number two go back and re watch the shows. But this time take notes and observe it critically like you would if you were doing an character study of a character from a book. And obviously only do this for the biggest problem characters that seem to be doing the most stupid stuff. It is possible that since you are writing characters based of off TV shows they might be more cliche than you first realized.

If you answered yes to number three, and have read a lot of bad fan fiction lately. Again come back to it later when you can convince yourself that you are not writing a fan fiction. Or go see if you can find some good fan fiction to read that will interest you and get some ideas as to how they made it good. Since less face it sometimes writing a good fan fiction can be even harder than doing your own thing entirely from scratch. Because the characters you are using are already developed by someone else and you have to try and stay true to that.

Failing all that I would get someone you trust, or us here on this forum to read some of what you have already written and get a second opinion. Since it might not be as bad as it first seems.

Also what three shows are they anyway? Did you ever consider turning it into a comedy?

srebak

Troubadour
Personally I ask myself three things.
1) Am I over thinking this to the point of becoming bored?
2) Do I know the characters as well as I think I do?
3) Am I writing a fan fiction?

If you say yes to the first one, come back and work on it later because that is your problem right there.

If you are not sure about number two go back and re watch the shows. But this time take notes and observe it critically like you would if you were doing an character study of a character from a book. And obviously only do this for the biggest problem characters that seem to be doing the most stupid stuff. It is possible that since you are writing characters based of off TV shows they might be more cliche than you first realized.

If you answered yes to number three, and have read a lot of bad fan fiction lately. Again come back to it later when you can convince yourself that you are not writing a fan fiction. Or go see if you can find some good fan fiction to read that will interest you and get some ideas as to how they made it good. Since less face it sometimes writing a good fan fiction can be even harder than doing your own thing entirely from scratch. Because the characters you are using are already developed by someone else and you have to try and stay true to that.

Failing all that I would get someone you trust, or us here on this forum to read some of what you have already written and get a second opinion. Since it might not be as bad as it first seems.

Also what three shows are they anyway? Did you ever consider turning it into a comedy?

Danny Phantom from Nickelodeon

American Dragon: Jake Long from Disney

and

The Life and Times of Juniper Lee from Cartoon Network

Danny Phantom from Nickelodeon

American Dragon: Jake Long from Disney

and

The Life and Times of Juniper Lee from Cartoon Network

I love Danny Phantom and I have seen the other two. Perhaps another way to get back to doing what you are trying to achieve is to ask yourself. What about what they end up doing in your head makes them seem stupid? And then adjust accordingly.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Tough call. Thing is what you see in your head rarely comes out exactly as you expect. Personally, I've never had the story I see in my head be the same as the story that comes out on the page. I've heard professional authors say the same thing about their own work.

There's a reason your brain is moving away from your original seed idea. That seed is growing into something. What that is, who knows. But to me fighting to put it back into the seed pod is an exercise in futility.

The idea was for the characters of each show to have a "Ghost of Christmas Past" look at their adventures and have "Look back on this and laugh" moments. But my mind continuously finds new ways for the characters to say or do things that make them look bad/stupid, and that just disturbs me, especially since the whole point was for these characters to look like heroes.

A story is not a story without conflict. Maybe your creative side understands this. Also, you may be looking for a way to make the characters grow. Even heroes are not perfect all the time.