• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Character needs a name change...so now what?

Okay, a while back I posted on here about a character I had named Anachim. His name was based on the Anakim (a people group mentioned in the Bible in the book of Numbers, who were descended from a notoriously big dude named Anak), but because I thought it looked too much like Anakin Skywalker, I changed it to a 'ch' and never looked back.

...Until my dear mother said, "I was disappointed that you couldn't be more creative with that one guy's name. Seriously, sounds just like Anakin, and I thought you didn't like how whiny Anakin was, anyway."

After that, I asked on here about it and the general consensus was "Change it, change it, for the love of god, change it!" (Albeit in much nicer, professional terms. I love you guys.) There were also a few along the lines of, "If you like it, then keep it. Full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes!" (Once again, said more professionally. Again, I love you guys.) However, that was the minority.

I decided that I'd probably change it at some point, but was just going to keep it for now (as I refine all the dross from my manuscript) and think of a better name later. I also had the vague hope that maybe I'd be able to just say "damn the torpedoes" and use it anyway.

I asked around amongst a bunch of personal friends as well as some other internet writer acquaintances, and once again the consensus was, "for the love of god, change it!"

That was breaking point. It's time to kill my darling and bring him up out of the ashes with a shiny new name. If I don't change it now, it's only going to be harder.

The problem is, what do I change it to? I've had some suggestions of dropping the "im," since it's a plural stem anyway, and go with Anak or Anach. I'm worried that Anak still looks too much like Anakin and Anach looks too much like it is derived from "anachronism." Ana doesn't seem to fit either. Since I'm trying to give this culture ancient-Hebrew-ish-sounding names, I could also try going with Rephaim, Nephilim, or any made-up variation of those. (I really don't like Nephilim or Nephil, though. Hmm, what about Aneph?) Or I could just make up a random word.

Or call him Sasquatch (just kidding). I'm kind of at a loss.

Thoughts?

Lace

Troubadour
I think in Genesis it talks about the land of Ammon or "land of the giants" what about Ammon? I found this reference about the giants of the old testament that you might find helpful. I thought you might want to stick with an "A" name since that was your original idea.
Giants in the Old Testament - Answers in Genesis

I seriously just posted a thread about my MC regarding the same thing. I think my MC's name may also need changed but I hate to do it. :/

I've always been partial to the name Yelnick McWawa, myself. (Can anyone name the reference?)

Alephim, Alephka, Arkadan, Amarel, Amphoran, Andy (JK), Asmodeal, Alkah

Those are "A" names that could be Hebrew-ish off the top of my head. You could also go here and pick one.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Aaron is a Hebrew name I like. According to many sources it means something akin to "high mountain", which I think is very fitting for a giant.

Aaron is a Hebrew name I like. According to many sources it means something akin to "high mountain", which I think is very fitting for a giant.
Aaron would be good, but it is a common enough name in modern usage that I think it wouldn't "feel" right. A lot of people don't realize that it is a Hebrew name, and it sounds "normal." They might think, "why does everyone else have weird names but this dude is named Aaron?"

You are right, though. That would be very fitting. :)

Lace

Troubadour
I honestly didn't think of it until you told me. I guess it would depend on what your story is about. If it seems starwars-ish, it might be to similar, but if it has nothing to do with anything the theme of starwars I'd think you were ok.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
So, do any of you share my concerns over Anak or Anach?

I do agree with the Anach/Anakin comparison, and I had another thought. Anagrams could be helpful. Instead of Anach, maybe Nacha, Hacan (or Hakan), Chana... There are a fair few possibilities there. ^^

KC Trae Becker

Troubadour
What about changing the second vowel? You could get Anek, Anoch, Anik, etc. Those are similar, but different enough to shed the connections for me.

Hi,

I'd avoid nephilim since it is a well known name for a race of half angels. Rephaim are the giants, but not so well known (so far). My question is is there any reason you need his name to be based on a biblical race? It seems wrong somehow. I mean how many people do you know called "German" or "English"? Why not just google hebrew boy's names and find one that sounds right.

Here's the first link I came up with: Hebrew & Jewish Names: Meanings from the Torah, A-Z, & More

And on page one Abdiel sounded good.

Cheers, Greg.