• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Adding a fantasy gaming section

Perhaps I see it in a more optimistic light.
I sincerely hope you're not suggesting I'm a cynical old scrote, jaded by life and experience...

You're not? Must be just me, then.:D

Anyway, I don't disagree with the notion in principal. Fantasy gaming can indeed be a gateway. I can only speak from experience, and that experience on PC and 360 is that the vast majority of individuals I've encountered (I won't call them people - that would imply higher brain functions) are of a rather base variety. Still, it's not my call to make. Simply spreading pearls of wisdom, of which I have many. Some might call them grit, not pearls, but that's just 'cos they're jealous.:D

Last edited:
F

Falunel

Just read this thread, and I see many good points. Here's my two cents:

I've never played the mainstream online games like Halo, Call of Duty, etc, but even then I've still encountered quite a few of the "lowest common denominator" that's been mentioned. However, I'd like to say that I've also met a good amount of people who play those games, might act like jerks during the game, but are perfectly decent outside of it; a good friend of mine is a jerk on Black Ops but is among one of the smartest, most insightful people I've met. In addition, despite the fact that a lot of games don't have the most solid of stories, I've come across some games that have well-built, engaging characters who served as a springboard for my own writing.

To put it simply, despite the muck games kick up, they still serve as a wellspring for inspiration and discussion for those who can see beyond the gameplay. I second creating a small board that focuses solely on story and characters. If any non-writing gamers show up, they'll know soon that there are other forums better-suited for them.

And, uh, am I the only one who finds it harder to write fanfic than original stories? ^^;