• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Naming your worlds

The world in my fantasy saga is really a pocket universe - it's called Jangada. The name came about because I found it's an Indonesian word for a type of boat or raft, and it seemed very appropriate as the universe consisted of a mass of floating raft-like islands between which airships have forged a renaissance-like society.

Last edited by a moderator:

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
My world has a name, but that's largely because I have a few worlds that I've created over the years. Most of the inhabitants don't use the name, though it is known to older or more advanced civilizations.

As for how I came up with the name, 9/10 times it will come from letting things brew in my head. Name for my main world (Erayshia) I got from spending a day playing with letters/sounds and being frustrated; played a game, and the name came to me. Name for a nation came to me as I was drifting to sleep after thinking about the nation all day.

This is the problem I'm having, I'm working on my map and I have the names of locations but I can't decide on a place name, I'm torn between Atysia, Versayus, Evarum, Anolia, of course these are just my first choices. I don't know why this is so hard, I created 3 new languages (elvish, dwarfish and ancient who predate elves, dwarfs and men) but I can't decide on a name for the place. Perhaps I'm just overthinking things.

Asterisk

Troubadour
Sometimes I use word generators like Serendipity: Country Name Generator or Chaotic Shiny - Writing and RPG-Related Generators . Most of the times, I play around with words in other languages, specifically Welsh and Estonian. Sometimes my mind decides to produce a brilliant name, but that's only once in a while ;)

The world of my WIP is Lindmîr... I'm still trying to decide if I should change the name, since doesn't scream "epic fantasy" like Eragon's Alagaësia. There are other parts of the world I'm happier with though, like "Covertt" or "Castarnis" or "Etreos".

Sometimes I use word generators like Serendipity: Country Name Generator or Chaotic Shiny - Writing and RPG-Related Generators . Most of the times, I play around with words in other languages, specifically Welsh and Estonian. Sometimes my mind decides to produce a brilliant name, but that's only once in a while ;)

The world of my WIP is Lindmîr... I'm still trying to decide if I should change the name, since doesn't scream "epic fantasy" like Eragon's Alagaësia. There are other parts of the world I'm happier with though, like "Covertt" or "Castarnis" or "Etreos".

That's the same problem I'm having, nothing I've come up with screams epic fantasy to me like Alegasia or Narnia.

killerbyte

Acolyte
for my overall world names I like to go with something short but cool sounding, to me at least.
My current world name is Airre (pronounced air)
Its easy for everyone, especially readers.

Gurkhal

Auror
In character my latest world is called "Earth" or "the word" but he city where mosto the action takes place is Fantasia City and out of character I've named the setting as Fantasy Gangland.

I think I've narrowed my choices down to two, which sounds better, Enaria or Elyria? I found Elyria is a real city in Ohio but I liked the name.