• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you listen to?

Fnord

Troubadour
Mostly podcasts and audiobooks these days. :p

But I've been a musician in some form or another for half my life, so it runs the gamut. I was a metalhead/grungehead when I was a teenager, and evolved to enjoy things like progressive, psychedelic, punk, new-wave, jazz, early hip-hop, whatever really.

I don't usually listen to music while I write, but if I do I tend to lean toward rock. Nothing that screams, but lots of minor chords and male vocalists. I'd like to find some good (modern) instrumental stuff, though. I'll have to try and get more of that. Movie soundtracks sound like a good place to start. I could see myself writing to something epic-sounding from LOTR.

CharlieDay

Scribe
For anyone who likes sabbath-like metal, check out a band called Witchcraft, from Sweden. One of my favorite bands and absolutely fantastic to write to!

Neurosis

Minstrel
A lot of things, I need a separate HDD for it all (I think its in the 100s of gbs now).

As far as genres can be trusted I mostly like:
Classical, Progressive Rock, Classic Metal, Death Metal and its many sub-genres and offshoots, Progressive / Avant-Garde Metal bands (Like Opeth, Enslaved, Deathspell Omega.. you get the idea) and Post-Metal, European Folk Music.

It would be hard for me to list specifically my favourite bands, so instead I will just list what I have been listening to recently. I have been thoroughly exploring Post-Metal, bands like Isis my name-sake band.

Xanados

Maester
A lot of things, I need a separate HDD for it all (I think its in the 100s of gbs now).

As far as genres can be trusted I mostly like:
Classical, Progressive Rock, Classic Metal, Death Metal and its many sub-genres and offshoots, Progressive / Avant-Garde Metal bands (Like Opeth, Enslaved, Deathspell Omega.. you get the idea) and Post-Metal, European Folk Music.

It would be hard for me to list specifically my favourite bands, so instead I will just list what I have been listening to recently. I have been thoroughly exploring Post-Metal, bands like Isis my name-sake band.
Favourite Death Metal bands? Are you 80's/90's old school?

Neurosis

Minstrel
Favourite Death Metal bands? Are you 80's/90's old school?

Well obviously if we are talking old school its going to be Death. But I am more into--weirder--Death Metal. Like Ulcerate, and 90s Cynic. Immolation is pretty normal however, and I like them.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Well obviously if we are talking old school its going to be Death. But I am more into--weirder--Death Metal. Like Ulcerate, and 90s Cynic. Immolation is pretty normal however, and I like them.

Check out the Bilocate song I linked a few posts up.

Xanados

Maester
Scream Bloody Gore.

Also, Immolation is one of my favourite bands.

I have to say, oddly for someone of my generation I do struggle to get on with a lot of modern music. Don't get me wrong though there are some good bands out there today, you said it Blue Lotus, Adele does rock:cool:!

I listen to a diverse range of old school music, the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, flippin love Little Richard (look him up, younglings) Bob Dylan, Dr John, Bob Marley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bo Diddley, some of James Brown, Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughn, BB King, to name but a few. My main love is any and all Blues music, though.

I have to say, oddly for someone of my generation I do struggle to get on with a lot of modern music. Don't get me wrong though there are some good bands out there today, you said it Blue Lotus, Adele does rock:cool:!

I listen to a diverse range of old school music, the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, flippin love Little Richard (look him up, younglings) Bob Dylan, Dr John, Bob Marley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bo Diddley, some of James Brown, Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughn, BB King, to name but a few. My main love is any and all Blues music, though.

Bob Dylan is an Icon! I love his planet waves album. The Forever Young song is the opening song for the TV show Parenthood.

If I have to suffer through one more airing of Beyonce or Jay-J or Gasp a duet of the two I may just go running naked through the town square bleeding from my ears while screaming at the top of my lungs! Same goes for "Lady" Gagme!!!!

Edit: I am so excited Van Halen is back together!!! :D Sadly it is Roth as lead vocal not Sammy but still very cool.

Last edited:
I listen to A LOT of ]v[etal
I also really like dubstep and hardstyle music.

Favorite Metal bands : Dimmu Borgir, Nile, Equilibrium, Amon Amarth, Behemoth, Metallica, Testament, Exodus, Megadeth, Devin Townsend Project, Between the Buried and Me, Kamelot, and Rammstein

Favorite Dubstep producers : Wonkap, Ajapai, Chrispy, Subvibe, Datsik, Excision, and Cyrex

Favorite Hardstlye Dj's : Tatanka, Zany, Headhunterz, Zatox, and Showtek

Last edited: