• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Legitimate insults and overuse in the vernacular

Okay, so I was working on this little tidbit from my story. (warning: language)

The overseer hoisted her up from the ground and guided her roughly back to the mines’ entrance. With a shove, he sent her flying out into an embankment of snow. “Don’t come back here, you mindless bitch.”

Now, here's the problem. This is set in a pre-industrial quasi-medieval era. Then as now, 'bitch' means 'female dog.' But since 'bitch' is so over-used in today's vernacular, does it lose some of its impact? It just doesn't seem as derogatory as I want it to be. I'm considering replacing bitch with 'she-dog.' Anyway, any suggestions you all might have would be appreciated.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I don't think it's overused, personally. She-dog would work too, though the difference is minimal -- like calling someone a fool or an idiot. It's basically the same thing.

(On a completely unrelated note, "guided her roughly" reads oddly to me. Maybe use a more active verb like "shoved" instead.)

I'd say using bitch has more impact. BECAUSE its so overused today, as it is, it has power behind it, but if you put She-dog, chances are most people would snort and think how adorable that it.

Its all in the feeling, how its conveyed and portrayed in the dialogue.

As a seventeen year old, me and my mates, as you may imagine, swear at each other quite a bit. But when its jocular and good-natured, nobody bats an eyelid. But when people are angry and really annoyed with each other ,having a fight or a spat or something, even the smaller insults take on a new, more hurtful meaning.

Anyway, I'm not an expert in language (the other day I made up a couple of new words in my geology exam...) but that's my humble opinion. Hope it helps mate!

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I don't think it's overused, personally. She-dog would work too, though the difference is minimal -- like calling someone a fool or an idiot. It's basically the same thing.

(On a completely unrelated note, "guided her roughly" reads oddly to me. Maybe use a more active verb like "shoved" instead.)

I'll second this.

While it is currently used a lot, for me personally it would still have an edge as an insult in a story, especially if I'm not expecting there to be blatant swearing. She-dog just doesn't have that bite to it (ignore the pun). I also agree with the Wielder of the Monkey Blade about context, while swearing is used a lot (usually playfully among my friends), if it is said out of genuine emotion I think it will still have shock value.

hots_towel

Minstrel
in my trudge through "a game of thrones" i noticed there was quite a bit of foul language used purely in modern context. so to answer your question I would say that the general reader base wouldn't scrutinize over it.

this is my opinion: when it comes to cussing and swearing and all that in media (any media, not just fantasy), if the swearing is used very little, it has a lot more sting.

in HBO shows where F-bombs and other cuss words alike are peppered into every sentence, it begins to go over my head. it looses its impact significantly for me. For example, the scene in breaking bad where hank said "my name is ASAC schrader, and you can go F**K yourself" didn't quite hit me as hard as it did ALL of my friends. mainly because of the reasons i stated.

the gears of war series waited until the second installation to use any serious foul language, and they were only used once or twice. MUCH greater difference.

once again though, this is just my opinion on the matter. too much swearing that isnt coming from cops/military/construction is a bit childish to me.