• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dimensions

SBDanes

Acolyte
In my story, instead of having a different world, my characters are in a different dimension. Before the year 1, there was only one dimension, run by beings called Spirits. The Spirits, being immortal were petty and wars ensued. To settle their differences, the Spirits each created their own dimension where they can make the rules.
The story takes place in the Magic Spirit's realm but other dimensions come into the picture later. I'm just trying to figure out how to explain this all to the reader without bombarding them with information all at once.

TWErvin2

Auror
Some of it depends on the POV used and the POV character(s), but the best way to introduce something is within the context of the story's action/plotline, as needed for the reader to learn and understand that aspect of the 'world' created.

This can be done through dialogue, observation, actions, thoughts, sign posts, rituals, you name it.

Jesse

Dreamer
Sounds like an interesting story. Seems to me like you've already said that the story will start in just one realm (I assume Magic Spirit is the name of one of the spirits?) so I would start there, explaining the rules of just that one realm through observations of your POV character, who I assume will be quite accustomed to those rules having grown up there. Is it goingto be common knowledge that other realms, and therefore Spirits, exist? If so, then a pretty easy bit of dialogue would read something like "... where Fire Spirit decreed that..."

Or if it won't be common knowledge, then (let's see how many assumptions I can throw in here) at some point either your POV will be transported to one of the other realms, a different character will be transported into his/her realm, or there will be some other mode by which two or more realms must interact, and then you would have something like "wait, what? You don't worship Magic Spirit?" "Of COURSE not! Fire spirit is the only true god!" Or whatever. But my point is that I think that how you give the reader that information should depend entirely on how your POV characters will encounter it.

Hi,

I would suggest focusing on a contrast of showing versus telling in your story. Both are needed in a story, but show through the characters' actions and POV the feelings of each dimension towards each other. If you really want the back story included without going through it in the story itself, maybe write a prologue (some writers use them and some don't).