• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Software question on character builds

Hawkmoon

Dreamer
Hi all, quick question regarding character builds and software. I have bought "The Mythic Guide to Characters" and I am currently reading it before I start to flesh out my characters and subsequent plot etc etc. Being the procrastinator I am I have also looked into various tools for writing and I am curious if there is one that incorporates a similar character design template to the guide. Dramatica seems to have an in depth builder but I find it rather clunky and hard to follow (for me anyway.) Snowflake has a builder but is rather shallow. I know I can just use word and bring in the pdf of the guide's character sheet, but would rather have it all in one place and access to the writing tools too. Or am I better just skipping the software altogether and just use Word?
Cheers and thanks in advance

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Hi Hawkmoon,

First, thanks for buying The Mythic Guide to Characters. I hope that you find it helpful.

Unfortunately, there is no software out there that incorporates a similar, layered approach to fleshing out characters. What I would recommend is using Word (or the word processor of your choice), and going through the steps in the worksheet. That will produce the best results.

Best wishes,
Tony del Drago

I've never heard of The Mythic Guide to Characters, where did you buy that? As for software, I use Snowflake, it does a good job. There is also New Novelist.

nlough

Troubadour
I use a software called Persona Character Development Software It's a decent software that allows you to flesh out your characters. It will also tell you how your characters interact with each other depending on the archetype you give them. It also allows you to sort your character into groups. Say if you have elves, men, dwarves, orcs, etc. you can create groups and put those characters in it. You can name the group whatever you want so if you want to sort them out by who they're allied to you can do that. Try out the free trial and you should see what I mean.