• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Myth's Anime Thread

teacup

Auror
There's a whole lot of things I dislike about SAO, but overall I enjoyed it enough for light entertainment.
Except for the Alfeim part (I'm almost certain that's spelled wrong) - The first few eps of that bored me and I just lost interest in it altogether because of that and the general public opinion that the Alfeim part is bad :p

Lace

Troubadour
I do agree with you there Teacup, it took a bit to get rolling once he woke up, but over all I really enjoyed it. :)

hots_towel

Minstrel
If anyone is interested, a great anime I saw set in 18th century France/Russia is called le chevalier d'eon. The plot is a little rushed for the amount of episodes it has, but it's still great, and the characters are great too. Deffinetly recommend it if you love that era of europes history

Mythopoet

Auror
If anyone is interested, a great anime I saw set in 18th century France/Russia is called le chevalier d'eon. The plot is a little rushed for the amount of episodes it has, but it's still great, and the characters are great too. Deffinetly recommend it if you love that era of europes history

I tried to get into Le Chevalier D'Eon twice and I just couldn't. I'm not sure if it was because I'm just not particularly interested in that era of history, and particularly French history. Or if it was because of the ridiculous fantasy elements. Now, I love a good twist on history that involves fantasy or scifi elements, in general. But even I have a limit to my willing suspension of disbelief. And in this anime in 16th century France the Psalms of the Christian Bible were apparently obscure occult spells with tremendous magical power, including the ability to create walking dead. This is just too ridiculous for me. Perhaps it's because I'm a Christian and have been hearing and memorizing Psalms my whole life. And you can't even use the time period as an excuse. In a predominantly Catholic country like France even people who couldn't afford a Bible would hear the Psalms read out on a daily basis at Mass. And here are all these characters pronouncing verses that are very familiar to me in dreadful portentous tones and talking about the Psalms as if they're a secret power. It's just laughable.

The anime taught me a good lesson about being careful how you use another culture's religion in your story. So there's that.

By the way, I wrote up a post on my blog about Vash the Stampede from Trigun recently: https://sarahmccabemythopoet.wordpress.com/2014/06/26/character-study-vash-the-stampede/

Last edited:

hots_towel

Minstrel
I tried to get into Le Chevalier D'Eon twice and I just couldn't. I'm not sure if it was because I'm just not particularly interested in that era of history, and particularly French history. Or if it was because of the ridiculous fantasy elements. Now, I love a good twist on history that involves fantasy or scifi elements, in general. But even I have a limit to my willing suspension of disbelief. And in this anime in 16th century France the Psalms of the Christian Bible were apparently obscure occult spells with tremendous magical power, including the ability to create walking dead. This is just too ridiculous for me. Perhaps it's because I'm a Christian and have been hearing and memorizing Psalms my whole life. And you can't even use the time period as an excuse. In a predominantly Catholic country like France even people who couldn't afford a Bible would hear the Psalms read out on a daily basis at Mass. And here are all these characters pronouncing verses that are very familiar to me in dreadful portentous tones and talking about the Psalms as if they're a secret power. It's just laughable.

The anime taught me a good lesson about being careful how you use another culture's religion in your story. So there's that.

By the way, I wrote up a post on my blog about Vash the Stampede from Trigun recently: https://sarahmccabemythopoet.wordpress.com/2014/06/26/character-study-vash-the-stampede/
i might have jumped the gun a bit when i said "I definitely recommend it" because i just remembered an anime worshiping friend of mine couldn't finish it because the plot became a little too convoluted. the fantasy elements still have me scratching my head also. I don't know EVERY psalm by heart, but i was a bit under the impression that the context of a specific verse would have some relevance to what they were trying to achieve. it instead kind of just boiled down to a holier than thou "who can recite harder" type thing.

i suppose what kept me interested was the overall plot (when I knew what was goin on) and some of the characters. im not too knowledgeable of that era, but i really like things that have that sort of feel, which is probably why I fell for Last exile after a few episodes.

Mythopoet

Auror
You don't have to hesitate to recommend anything you enjoyed. Everyone has different likes when it comes to fiction. This thread is just to discuss our experiences and perhaps find news things we might like. Just because I didn't like D'Eon doesn't mean it's bad or others won't. :)

One of the weirdest anime i ever tried to watch was BOBOBO. It's a story about a martial artist who uses his nose and armpit hairs to protect people and fight evil, I stopped after the third episode because it just seemed too ridiculous, it was funny but too much absurd to suspend disbelief.

Mythopoet

Auror
One of the weirdest anime i ever tried to watch was BOBOBO. It's a story about a martial artist who uses his nose and armpit hairs to protect people and fight evil, I stopped after the third episode because it just seemed too ridiculous, it was funny but too much absurd to suspend disbelief.

I've wondered about that one. There's such a fine line in anime between hilarious and absurd. ;)

Mythopoet

Auror
Well, I've gotten to episode 51 in my rewatch of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. At this point I can't really watch it during the day when my kids are around anymore (as I had been) because the immortal horror army has been unleashed and things are getting really disturbing.

I am super excited that the first episode of the second season of SAO will be available on Crunchyroll in a few days. I can't help being an SAO fangirl. SQUEEE!

Any of you guys watch abridged animes? It's just like regular anime, but someone on Youtube does the voices over with different lines. For example:

Last edited by a moderator:

teacup

Auror
Any of you guys watch abridged animes? It's just like regular anime, but someone on Youtube does the voices over with different lines. For example:

Yugioh abridged and DBZ abridged are both brilliant. I've yet to watch Hellsing Ultimate or its abridged version (but I watched original Hellsing which suuucckkkked)

Rinzei

Troubadour
Yugioh abridged and DBZ abridged are both brilliant. I've yet to watch Hellsing Ultimate or its abridged version (but I watched original Hellsing which suuucckkkked)

Hellsing Abridged by Takahata101 is hilarious - get on it. If you like DBZ abridged, you won't be disappointed.

Sadly, I haven't found any abridged episodes of Hellsing past number four. But the episodes that were made are absolutely hilarious! My favorite line is: "Get that bitch a cannon! Bitches love cannons!"

Rinzei

Troubadour
Takahata's only has 4 episodes so far - he's working in a lot of projects right now, so his time is divided between his solo stuff and TeamFourStar's.

Mythopoet

Auror
I've watched quite a lot of Yugioh The Abridged Series. I liked it particularly because it was hilarious even though I'd never seen any Yugioh before and didn't even know anything about it other than card games. Also, the guy who made it was a legitimately great voice actor. Any other abridged series I've looked at has sounded pathetically amateur in comparison.

I finished my rewatching of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood yesterday. Just wow. I think that show may have the best climax and resolution ever. It had been so long since I'd watched it the first time, I wasn't sure how it would stack up against all the awesome anime I'd seen since. But wow. This story is just fantastic in every way. It's definitely still in my top 10.

Meanwhile, my husband and I watched The Tower of Druaga: Aegis of Uruk and Sword of Uruk. This anime was based on an old Nintendo video game, so I wasn't expecting anything other than an enjoyable old school fantasy going in. But it totally exceeded our expectations.

We started watching Tsubasa Chronicle a while back and then learned about the complicated relationship it has with other Clamp works. So we also started watching xxxholic, since the two manga were initially serialized at the same time and are apparently interlinked, we figured it would be easier to understand that way. Because, man, from what I've read Tsubasa is a very complicated story. I'm still confused about whether the whole story is told between the anime series and the OVAs or if I'll have to read some of the manga to get the full thing.

Addison

Auror
I don't have many viewer's minutes on abridged animes, I do have an anime mystery.

My kid sister has gotten into anime, thanks to a friend who has some mangas. She got jumpy after reading about half of the manga. She tried watching the anime....I think it was called Black Butler or something like that. Only one episode, she was brave enough to watch the whole thing, she claimed that all anime are cartoon-painted horror movies. I recalled an anime I watched that I know she'd love and help her out. Problem is I can't remember the name. But I do remember the premise more or less.

It follows a group of girls brought to one kingdom to become a great/legendary queen. The main character is sort of a clumsy, spirited, big hearted young lady. She has a best friend, boy, who has magical powers. He casts a big magical diagram on the ground, throws in some coins and items come out. The first was a pair of flying shoes (he wore one, she wore the other) the shoe helped her fly to a tower where she saw a bright light. This sealed her fate as a candidate for being a queen.

Her next friend was a shy, gray-haired young lady from the spirit realm or such. There was another girl who rode on the shoulder of a robot. Another, snobby at first then a friend, had a weird talking demon-thing servant to help her out.

I remember that one episode dealt with the main character and her bf helping out a baker to make a grand wedding cake for his daughter (estranged I think). Even with the girls helping, he needed help so the magic boy conjured a bunch of elves to help. the snobby girl tries to sabotage the cake, but her servant instead-due to her bad choice of words-makes it better by putting fireworks in the top tier which shoot out.

I can't remember the name. If anyone recognizes this anime please tell me.
Any light-hearted, anime with a strong theme and use of magic (princesses a plus) would also be helpful. Seriously, she's a twelve year old sleeping in my bed for two nights. This morning I woke up with her legs locked around my neck. HELP!

Mythopoet

Auror
Any light-hearted, anime with a strong theme and use of magic (princesses a plus) would also be helpful. Seriously, she's a twelve year old sleeping in my bed for two nights. This morning I woke up with her legs locked around my neck. HELP!

I am unfortunately not familiar with the anime you described.

But I can recommend a couple anime:

A Little Snow Fairy Sugar, a story about a girl, Saga, who meets and rescues a snow fairy, Sugar, who has come to her hometown to try to find a "twinkle" which she needs to do to become a full fledged season fairy. It sounds childish, but it's really not. I deals with themes of friendship and loss and is just an adorable show.

Princess Tutu, is a story about stories. A girl named Duck, who is really a duck transformed into a girl, seeks to help the emotionless prince Mytho by restoring the pieces of his shattered heart to him. To accomplish this she transforms again into Princess Tutu and uses the power of ballet and her emotions to ease the suffering caused by the heart shards and fight the evil Raven and his daughter. Everything is part of a story being manipulated by Drosselmeyer. The themes and music of The Nutcracker and Swan Lake play throughout. It sounds kind of ridiculous, but it's so beautiful.

Ah! My Goddess! is about a lonely and inept college student who accidentally calls the Goddess Helpline and unthinkingly make a wish for a certain Goddess to stay by his side forever. Thus begins his life with the beautiful and perfect Belldandy dealing with trying to find a place to live, balancing his life as a college student with the fact that he's becoming increasingly involved in the world of goddesses and demons, and Belldandy's sisters Urd and Skold eventually crashing their cosy home as well. It's a charming and funny show.

Both I and my 11 year old daughter have loved these shows.

Rinzei

Troubadour
I've watched quite a lot of Yugioh The Abridged Series. I liked it particularly because it was hilarious even though I'd never seen any Yugioh before and didn't even know anything about it other than card games. Also, the guy who made it was a legitimately great voice actor. Any other abridged series I've looked at has sounded pathetically amateur in comparison.

I finished my rewatching of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood yesterday. Just wow. I think that show may have the best climax and resolution ever. It had been so long since I'd watched it the first time, I wasn't sure how it would stack up against all the awesome anime I'd seen since. But wow. This story is just fantastic in every way. It's definitely still in my top 10.

Meanwhile, my husband and I watched The Tower of Druaga: Aegis of Uruk and Sword of Uruk. This anime was based on an old Nintendo video game, so I wasn't expecting anything other than an enjoyable old school fantasy going in. But it totally exceeded our expectations.

We started watching Tsubasa Chronicle a while back and then learned about the complicated relationship it has with other Clamp works. So we also started watching xxxholic, since the two manga were initially serialized at the same time and are apparently interlinked, we figured it would be easier to understand that way. Because, man, from what I've read Tsubasa is a very complicated story. I'm still confused about whether the whole story is told between the anime series and the OVAs or if I'll have to read some of the manga to get the full thing.

Just a quick google search, I don't actually know it, but was it Angelique?

I actually kind of like the original Hellsing series even though technically I have only read the first volume of the manga. but I agree with you as far as Yu-Gi-Oh and Dragonball Z abridged. I've only seen a little of the Yu-Gi-Oh abridged but the Dragonball Z abridged by TeamFourStar on Youtube is Hilarious.
I've watched these anime (some more than others):

Tv shows:
Big O
Black Butler
Bleach
Clannad
Death Note
D.N. Angel
Dragonball
Dragonball Z
Fairy Tail
Fruits Basket
Inuyasha
K-on
Ouran High School Host Club
Pokemon
Sonic X
Spice and Wolf
Yu-Gi-Oh!

Movies:
Howl's Moving Castle (in my opinion, best movie ever)
Pokémon: the first movie (Mewtwo Strikes Back)
Pokémon: 2000 (The Power of One)
Pokémon Heroes: Latios and Latias
Pokémon 4ever: Celebi (Voice of the Forest)
Pokémon Jirachi: Wish Maker
Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai

Games:
Corpse Party
Dragonquest XI
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
Mad Father
Pokémon: Ruby, Emerald, and Saphire
Pokémon: Firered and Leafgreen
Pokémon: Diamond
Pokémon: Soulsilver
Pokémon: White