• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Maps

Lace

Troubadour
I am needing to create a map of my world. Any recommended sites or programs to do this?

acapes

Sage
Hey Lace, I used to use a program called 'autorealm' and it was pretty cool.

AutoREALM | Free Games software downloads at SourceForge.net

'Basic' graphics I guess, and the program does take some getting used to, but I made some good maps some years ago.

Here's a pic (not mine)

map_theah.jpg

Lace

Troubadour
I watched a few tutorials on YouTube last night and was finally able to play around a bit in AutoRealm. It was difficult to use at first but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I did go to donjon and get some ideas. I think I might try some of the other ones next time, but for now AutoRealm is working for what I'm needing.

Mythopoet

Auror
Yes, I also ink in the lines (once I'm SURE I won't need to change them again) in various colors. I don't worry about coloring it in. Maybe someday.

I'm still working on filling in my current map iteration. There's a lot of blank landmasses that I just haven't gotten around to exploring yet. It's a big world.

I use paper and pencil. ;)

Yes :) well said.

The simplest is often the best.

I certainly always start that way - depends on the final 'quality' you want to achieve and the hand-drawn look is often the best for fantasy.

Other tools (like worldmachine) are only really useful when you need (or want) a specific realistic look.