• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

An MC with a Stutter

Sir Kieran

Scribe
My main character has a stuttering problem. His development into someone who can speak well will parallel his rise to power in his world, but I'm wondering how his stuttering will work in the dialogue. I think some readers might become easily aggravated having to read each stutter, so I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on how to handle a character's stutter in the extensive book dialogue.

it worked in Lady in the Water. :) if you haven't seen this movie it is good and I think you should see it. it could be better but nevertheless it is a good movie and it would help you decide how to handle a character with a stutter. Lady in the Water is a cool movie and I really think you should watch it.

Last edited:
I think you don't have to have them stammer with every word necessarily just, have them get stuck on some words. Maybe when they're nervous or unsure. Maybe every now and then have an "um". Some stuttering comes out of nervousness so they may stutter when in a situation where they are currently feeling nervous but be fine talking to someone in private.

Trick

Auror
You're biggest challenge will be to convey it without annoying readers with odd text choices. The hyphen seems to be the best way to do this. Do-do-don't you th-th-think? But even that can be easily overused. You'll have to experiment a lot and then get opinions on the dialogue once you're satisfied with it.

Helen

Inkling
My main character has a stuttering problem. His development into someone who can speak well will parallel his rise to power in his world, but I'm wondering how his stuttering will work in the dialogue. I think some readers might become easily aggravated having to read each stutter, so I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on how to handle a character's stutter in the extensive book dialogue.

Look at The King's Speech:

[For ease of reading, Bertie’s stammer will not be indicated
from this point in the script.]