• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Emotion Thesaurus

Scribble

Archmage
This might be of use to new, and even experienced writers to find ways to express character emotions. There is a book for sale, but the author provides some examples on that page (these are not in the book).

The Bookshelf Muse: THE EMOTION THESAURUS

Example entry for Embarrassment:

- coughing
- stuttering, stammering
- speechlessness
- looking down, unable to meet another's eyes
- shoulders slumping, slouching, sagging, hunching
- a desire to run away
- glancing about as if for an exit or escape
- angry or knee-jerk reactions (lashing out, taking a cheap shot, name calling)
- gritting one's teeth, pressing the lips tight
- keeping a death grip on backpack straps, gripping school books against the chest
- rapidly walking away, keeping the head down
- excessive swallowing
- muddied or panicked thoughts
- lightheadedness, tingling in the chest or stomach
- pretending to not have heard or seen
- using long hair to hide the face

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Yes... The Emotion Thesaurus is a favorite tool. Great as a guide.

It was discussed awhile back. Always good to bring back to conversation though for newer members. I know that several members use this great book.

My advice on its use (as I've used it a lot):
Don't use it strictly for every emotion or description of character action. However, it's an amazing resource to help creativity. Use it to generate your own, unique descriptions of emotion and expression. It can help get your thinking headed in the right direction if you're having trouble trying to think of new ways to depict action, expressions, internal feelings, etc.

Bruce McKnight

Troubadour
Own it. Love it.

In a similar vein, I'm currently enjoying The Describer's Dictionary by David Grambs. It's all on physical description, making it a good companion to The Emotional Thesaurus.

I bought this a while back. Excellent resource. I get a kick out of the lists of long-term side effects of suppressed emotion. In one of my WIPs I have a character with a lot of baggage, and this is excellent for helping me describe him.

Nihal

Vala
I love the Emotion Thesaurus!

Unrelated but related. As a non-native English speaker who tends to forget all the other synonyms, I found this little image incredibly useful:

aLK0jmx_700b_v1.jpg

SeverinR

Vala
I like that wheel even though I have spoken english for most of my life. (Except for the first year and when I got really drunk...lol.)

Sam Evren

Troubadour
I'm sure this is rudimentary in comparison, but if you type "define 'term'" in google, say, literally, define amused, you'll get an immediate definition. There is also a sort of faded down arrow below the definition. It opens up history, usage through the years, but also synonyms and antonyms.

Kinda handy for quick reference.

Last edited:

Scribble

Archmage
That is a cool feature I never noticed before. I have played with the NGram viewer. That is an interesting piece of technology, giving a window into social change using the written word as a source.

Try putting in words like alien, angel, death, sex, dream, nuclear, microchip, radiation, etc...

https://books.google.com/ngrams

Last edited:

Sam Evren

Troubadour
That is a cool feature I never noticed before. I have played with the NGram viewer. That is an interesting piece of technology, giving a window into social change using the written word as a source.

Try putting in words like alien, angel, death, sex, dream, nuclear, microchip, radiation, etc...

https://books.google.com/ngrams

That is really cool. I've never seen that before. Thanks for sharing.

Asterisk

Troubadour
Thanks for sharing the “Emotion Thesaurus”.... I bought it, and will probably buy the Positive and Negative Traits books. These are great additions to my library!

Bansidhe

Minstrel
This is one of those books that are right by my side as I'm writing--it's really pushed my craft to the next level, I have to say--it even changed my mindset about constructing prose in the way I choose my words/phrases now. The authors are coming out with two new books on character traits, which I'm eagerly awaiting. HIGHLY recommend.

I have this book myself. It is pretty useful for coming up with the right words for describing how some characters react to certain emotions. I tend to look up an emotion my characters is going through, think about why and then choose something that fits their character. Like I have a bunch of characters and they all can react to the same emotion in a bunch of different ways. I'd really recommend the book.